will it still be usable this year
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

How dry is the location?

Boolit Mold

easy solution

White Eagle,

I am not a farmer, but a long time gardener. The easiest way to see if the corn is still viable, is to:

1) soak a few kernals overnight in warm water
    2) put them in a damp, not wet paper towel in a plastic bag.
    3) if they sprout in 3-4 days = plantable; if they dont sprout = grind em for polenta or cattle feed

Boolit Master
    I would say so. You normally get old seeds anyway, so I would plant em.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

In Remembrance

If in doubt, plant thicker than normal, then thin out after it comes up. I'm betting they're still viable. Alternatively, soak them until they just sprout and plant the sprouted ones immediately.

Banned

How did you buy this? Does it still have all the chemicals on it? If it does, be very carefull on how you handle it.

Boolit Mold
    white eagle ...... algaeguy hit the nail on the head...... you need to check the germination of the seed. I put 100 seeds in a wet paper towel and check a few days to a week later to see how many out of the 100 have started to sprout and that is your percentage. make sure to keep the paper towel moist. good luck with your seed.

Banned
    It should be just fine to plant, just do the germination test as algeaguy said. DO NOT use it for feed or food the fungicide and insectacide on it can be nasty to what ever eats it, except mice for some reason. Kurt

Are you hunting rats with cast boolits? It might be good or bad depending..
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    question :
    I have some seed corn that I bought last year
    it has been stored in a dark cool spot in mt basement
    will it still be usable this year
    David,

Algaeguy gave good advice. I suspect you will get better than 85% germination and the test only takes three or four minutes and four or five days of casual observation.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master

I planted year old stuff last year and got one of the best stands ever. Use it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have planted seed over 5 years old and had excellent results. As a boy I had part of an ear of indian corn found in a cliff dwelling. Planted and grew nice looking corn with it.
    Last edited by square butte; 03-26-2012 at 07:02 PM.

In Remembrance

I settled a similar arguement about the growability of old seeds with a friend about 20 years back. He held that the seeds go bad in 1 - 2 years and won`t grow. I produced a kindergarten paper from my first child that she made for Thanksgiving over 25 years before. I picked 12 kernnels of maize corn off the turkey picture. We adjourned to my garden and my friend and I planted these seeds in a special spot so we would know it. This took place in May at planting time. That October my friend and I harvested maize ears off from all 12 corn stalks.Robert

Boolit Master
    If the seeds have stayed cool and and don't appear to have gotten moldy ............. they will germinate for many many years!!

One year is nothing for those seeds with proper storage!!

Three 44s

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I once planted some Okra seed that had been stored in a freezer for around 10 years. When planted, the germination was just about as good as fresh bought seed.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

In Remembrance

Seeds that were found in the pyramids in Egypt with the pharoahs have been planted and a high number of the seeds sprouted and grew after sitting there for nearly 2000 years.Robert

Boolit Master

white eagle, if your 'seed corn' is regular field seed corn and it has been stored in its original bag at no higher moisture % than 35,it will be ok. At a plant rate of 36,000 plants per acre or less, but not lower than 20,000 per acre you should get 187-225 bu. per acre, IF your combine is adjusted correctly. Do not feed to livestock IF treated with Round-Up, Honcho, or Poncho it/they will die. No grain elevator in the US will ever accept any seed corn, but seed beans are ok, go figure. Also if you bought any amount of field seed corn your salesman should have given you at least a bag or 2 of sweet corn seed. He better with most seed corn going for $300.00 a bag. (that's a 50lb bag) Good luck sir.
    Last edited by 472x1B/A; 03-30-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Man, it's hard to imagine seed corn has gotten that high. Kind of makes you want some heirloom seed, doesn't it?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Yes sir. Back in the 50's when my dad was selling seed corn and beans, the average price of a bag was $27.00. Now, so much cost is involved that most farmers need their subsities to get by. Last fall one guy told me that he was spending $300.00 a day for fuel to run his Combine, tractor on the grain auger, semi to haul corn into the elvator, one tractor to haul two wagons to the elvator, and one light truck to haul into the elevator. That's plus, 4 people's wages to fill thoes tractor/truck seats. Plus their were times he had to sit and wait for an empty truck/wagon to dump into, that's dead running time on idle deisel engines. (starter motors for most combines start out at $1000.00plus) Yup, it's a very lurkrative business these days.

In Remembrance
    I would be shocked if a combine would run a long day itself on 300 dollars.
    It is pretty easy to burn 6-700 bucks worth of fuel a day in a truck these days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast