Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: First round of book's cover art

In Remembrance

First round of book's cover art

The cover artist sent me versions of the book's cover this morning and we picked out our favorite.

Still have a few revisions to make, minor, but so far it's looking pretty cool.

Also a huge thank you to the advance copy readers here. Incredible set of proof-reader eyes around this place. Remind me to NEVER go shooting with you guys because somedays, I feel like I can't even see the front sight without my reading glasses--let alone some of the typos that myself, my wife and my friggin' editor, for crying out loud, didn't catch.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Looking good, J.D.
    You did a lot better on typos than most. And once the printer is done, it will probably have a few more! ;o)
    I really did enjoy reading this, and will want to read it again and again. It takes a good book to do that for me. Hopefully I can scrape up the funds to get a gen-u-wine autographed copy!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

You picked a good cover artist. I'd buy a poster of it!

Gear

Boolit Master

Man, that book cover is pretty. I look forward to seeing it in stores. I too, would like to get an autographed first edition copy.

Once it becomes available in stores, you might think about how to make autographed copies available. Being a "Recluse", I am not too sure how much you would enjoy a book tour.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Man
    Hi Recluse,

You did a great job on the book. I really enjoyed it.

You did a fine job on proofing it, too. Most books have a lot of typos in it, no matter how many times you proof it. I sometimes have to proof Greek accents and Hebrew vowel points and accents, so proofing English text is pretty easy!

Glenn

Boolit Master

That's excellent man and a very nice looking cover. I hope you sell a zillion!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Well judging the book by its cover it looks like a book I would love to read.

Boolit Master

I like it! Fits the book perfectly.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

That cover is just mighty fine. Also, I did some googlefu and read what could be read yesterday and I'd declare you did done good.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Master

Very nice! I want a signed copy ya hear?

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

can anybody say group buy?

Moderator Emeritus

Hey JD, looking good! I was tempted to offer to proof read your book but life has been rather busy lately. I WILL be waiting in line to buy a copy from you once you have it in print though!

Good luck and best wishes on your endeavor. Dean D.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

The cover looks great! I really enjoyed reading the proof copy as well. I hope you sell a bunch of books!
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

In days of olde, people read from linotype.. he spoke with linotype. Oh yea!

The above has nothing to do with nothing.

Don't mind me.. I love what can be/is done with the written word.

I've bookmarked that there (your) action.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Man

There must have been better eyes than mine as I only noticed one error. I have read many books, magazines, newsbaper ads that have had many more errors than that is less room. The book cover looks great, and I stand in line for the "limited edition autographed first runs."

In Remembrance
    Well looking at the cover(which should sell some) and listening to the comments that have had a peek at it. I reckon I will have to pick one up when they come available.

That is one nice cover.

Not only is that book cover awesome, it is PERFECT for the book. I totally enjoyed the proof copy and would also like to get a signed first run copy.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

I too would like a copy. I recall you said you were considering distributing it in digital format. Does this mean that no hard copy books would be offered. I currently read books downloaded for my Kindle. I like it and it is convenient. But it is not the same as a real live book that you can feel and actually turn the pages. I think the group buy idea that was mentioned is a great idea if any actual books are going to be printed.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    I too would like a copy. I recall you said you were considering distributing it in digital format. Does this mean that no hard copy books would be offered. I currently read books downloaded for my Kindle. I like it and it is convenient. But it is not the same as a real live book that you can feel and actually turn the pages. I think the group buy idea that was mentioned is a great idea if any actual books are going to be printed.
    First release will be via e-book and be distributed through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple Bookstore, Reader Bookstore (Sony e-reader), Gardners, Baker & Taylor, Copia and a few others.

We're still aiming and on schedule for an April 15 release and availability date. I'll announce it here and also include a link to where the book can be purchased from either any of the retailers or via my website.

I'm planning a print version to be printed and available for a date approximately one week prior to Memorial Day.

Hardback edition is scheduled for early November, but in limited runs--mainly thinking about them as Christmas presents.

The second novel, Altar of the False Gods, will be out in both e-book and paperback edition the first week of October. This novel deals with the financial and economic situation in America in which a long-standing conspiracy becomes exposed between the government, Wall Street and Fortune 500 companies. As the conspiracy begins to have more light shed upon it, more irrefutable facts come forth and a rumbling of dissent and unrest begins in the small towns and communities across the country.

Barter and trade becomes more prevalent, big banks are shunned in favor of locally owned small family owned banks and credit unions, and permits to build are denied for giant corporate retailers like Walmart and Walgreens, Target and the huge grocery stores.

As a result, Wall Street begins to feel the pinch as money is no longer flowing through their brokerage houses. With the flow of money diminished, the government loses a significant portion of revenue, forcing decisions on where to cut. Predictably, the government wants to cut defense spending, energy exploration and other job-creating areas while protecting the underclass world of entitlements, welfare and pork.

Big business is the first to react when they are denied the ability to open their stores in the small towns across the country and they send their "intimidators" out to try and arm-twist locals to sell their land or to vote for the permits or to put pressure on their county commissioners. Tactics range from threatening phone calls to stalking to outright assault.

But what big business, Wall Street and the government forget is that in the heartland of America, small town people are independent people--and they are armed.

And just as what happened in Above Reproach, the solution to America's financial and economic woes are not solved by a government or by a super business hero or a couple of legendary philanthropists, but instead by average, ordinary everyday Americans who do not worship at the altar of big business or Wall Street or big government.

I'm working pretty hard to make sure this book gets out a month or so before the November election. It may not be much, but I figure every little bit will help, and sure as hell can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    The second novel, Altar of the False Gods, will be out in both e-book and paperback edition the first week of October... I'm working pretty hard to make sure this book gets out a month or so before the November election. It may not be much, but I figure every little bit will help, and sure as hell can't hurt.

Let me know if you want any prepublishing proofreading. I'd love to help out again. Finances is another of my interests.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln