MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Primers

Boolit Buddy

Primers

Does anybody have a favorite primer for cast bullet shooting with the old military rifles? Years ago I used to experiment with many different primers and finally settled on one.............................

Boolit Master
    Right now I'm loving the availabilty of berdan primers. Some of that surplus brass is top shelf. (7.5 swiss, 6.5 swedish made by norma...)

I like the Japanese made Herters brand. I'm about out of them though, don't know what will replace them, think I'll try the Tula unleaded, the price is right at Grafs. I've used Remington magnums, supposedly the mildest of magnum primers, to good effect too.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

My favorites are whatever I can afford and whatever are available

For low pressure loads (<30,000) I like 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 Rem, F100/F150 and Wolf Pistol. For over that, My favorite is F210. I have Wolf rifle primers but, haven't tried them yet. Anyone used them?

Frank

Boolit Bub
    I have tried the wolf large pistol and they work great in the 45 acp but I had hang fires in 44 mag with them. Never had this problem with winchester primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dschuttig View Post
    Right now I'm loving the availabilty of berdan primers. Some of that surplus brass is top shelf. (7.5 swiss, 6.5 swedish made by norma...)
    Where are you finding the Berdan primers? I have a ton of surplus brass I would love to reload.

Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using Wolf LR in 7.5 Swiss, 30-06 and 45-70 for the past 1 1/2 yrs. and just finished my first case of 5000 with not one FTF. They work.

charlie

Boolit Master

WRideout, here is one source. I've never dealt with these folks, just seen them mentioned here and bookmarked the site...Ray

http://www.dagammo.com/shop/
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Buddy
    Powder Valley has Berdans in 1,000 lot quantities. Good price too.

Wineman

Thanks, Ray and Wineman. If I don't have to convert cases to Boxer, it would be great!

Wayne

Boolit Master

Graf's has Berdan's . 2 sizes at least.

Boolit Master

Federal #210 after that whatever is available i would like to try some Wolf or Tula.

Boolit Master
    Most my reloading is done using Wolf primers. They're hard primers with positive ignition. They passed the Garand slam fire test; that and the lower price prompted me to bulk order a couple years back.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Buddy
    They are in two flavors: 7.62x39 and 7.62 NATO. The former are lower power and do fine with the faster powders under cast loads (16 gr AL 2400 goes bang every time for me) and the NATO are fine for full charge loads. I have some NATO but have not used them yet. When seating be careful not to overseat and crush the priming pellet on the anvil. Check out http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...n#.TzSCZIGwUYo. I use a shim of thin wood under the handle with my Lee hand unit that keeps me from going to far. The newer Lee units may not have a big enough cup to handle the 217 size. Mine is a few years old and works fine.

Wineman

I'm no longer using Wolf primers on my pistols. I had failures to fire on half of the Wolf primers in my H&K USP. They were just too hard.

They've been fine in my milsurp rifles.
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Remington 9.5
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Back when I started reloading some 30+ years ago CCI and Win. were the two most common brand names around my area. Remington was hit and miss and Federals were non-existent so most of my J bullet hunting and long range loads are worked up with the CCI and Win. primers and I pretty much stick with those.

For general purpose plinking and shooting with cast bullet loads in both handgun and rifles at the ranges I shoot at primer brand doesn't seem to make much difference that I can tell. I've used them all in various sizes with the exception of Remington which is still hit and miss in this area. The only exception is that I still use mil-spec primer like CCI #34 or Wolf/Tula LR primers in my semi autos with free floating firing pins due to primer dimpling.