I recently got hold of an old enfield. Made in '42 and sporterized for hunting, I got about 500 rounds of surplus ammo dated 1967. I took it out to fire yesterday and ran about 20 rounds through it. about every 5th round wouldn't ignite correctly. The fireing pin would strike and there would be a slight hesitation before ignition. It was like shooting with percussion caps. I didn't know how dangerous this might be so I packed it in. I decided that the best thing to do is to break down the ammo into its components to sell or trade. I popped the bullets out and had to dig out some kind of wadding. No powder came out. I dug into the shell with some needle nose and started pulling out these rods kind of reddish brown, oily looking and opaque. They ran the whole length of the case and looked like a little bundle of broom straw. Definately not something that would go through my Uniflow. I got a picture of one of the shells as it comes apart. Maybe someone could shed some light on this. I also hope I posted this in the right thread.
Sorry for the phone pic