Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What .22 mold to get?

Boolit Master

What .22 mold to get?

A couple of years ago I got a Lee .22 Bator mold. Tried it in a couple of rifles with mediocre results. I lost interest in casting the little buggers, but now I want to try it again. I especially want a cast bullet that will shoot in my Cz 22 hornet and Remington 700 .221 Fireball. I have some sample bullets coming from a forum member here, but would like to hear from others what works for them. I would like to buy a readily available mold. I see that Lyman offers about three molds, RCBS and Saeco appear to offer 1 each.
    I am looking for a small game and vermin boolit that will get good accuracy at mid-level speeds.
    Which of the current crop of .22 molds would be your pick?
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master

With that combo, I'd go for a Lyman 225415. That should work in both the Hornet and Fireball./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    With that combo, I'd go for a Lyman 225415. That should work in both the Hornet and Fireball./beagle
    I had been looking at that one, Lyman makes 2 55 grain molds. Any advantage of one over the other?

The flat nose on the 225415 is a very good small game stopper. Highly recommend.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    I am using the RDO 22550 in a CZ 527 .223 with decent results.
    I believe this was designed for the likes of the Bee, but in a levergun.

So far, with limited testing, it's handling nicely out to 50 yards. I have only shot it at barely super sonic levels so far, so I can't say how it will behave at Hornet velocities.

Boolit Master

I have been pushing my 225-415 lyman, cast 1 part tin to 10 parts WW with a load over 2000 fps for jxted (sorry, no crono) in my Ruger 77 22H . Around 2 inches at 100 no leading and the varmits I have plugged have busted.
    Same casting at 3.2 of green dot works well for squirrels.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Grand Master

What twist do you have? If you have a 16" twist then the 225415 will not stabilize. You would need a 1 in 14" to get the best out of it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Altheating and NOE are in the process of getting BRPs permission to do a run of: BRP 226-47 s, this IMHO would make you a great Boolit in both your rifles.

Also have been warned that Altheating has a rem 700 custom coming in 221 fireball. let the fun begin.

Hopefully NOE will duplicate the 226-47 6 cav. BRP mold blocks and top plate also

Ken

Boolit Master

It appears my rifle has a 1-14 twist.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    What twist do you have? If you have a 16" twist then the 225415 will not stabilize. You would need a 1 in 14" to get the best out of it.
    +1, the 225415s shoot very well in my 12 and 14" twist .22 Hornets, and shot well in a 14" twist .221. However, in 16" twists they may appear to shoot well at 50 yards but do very poorly at 100 yards losing it somewhare in between. I would suggest the 225107 for the slower twist for sure and it even does very well in 14" twist barrels. There was GB going on(?) and occasionally one does see a Lyman for sale. If you want a good bullet now the Lyman 225 438 is a good one.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    Altheating and NOE are in the process of getting BRPs permission to do a run of: BRP 226-47 s, this IMHO would make you a great Boolit in both your rifles.

Also have been warned that Altheating has a rem 700 custom coming in 221 fireball. let the fun begin.

Hopefully NOE will duplicate the 226-47 6 cav. BRP mold blocks and top plate also

Ken
    My CZ 527 seems to prefer, in order, the BRP 226-47, Lyman 225438, NOE 225107.

Boolit Master

RCBS shows a 55 grainer, is it the same length as the Lyman 225415?

Boolit Master

I run the 225415 through an old 180 model Mini-14. It took some tweaking to get the rifle to cycle but I found a load in a very old Lyman (early 70's) using 4227. For just plinkers in a 10" TC chambered in .223 Unique worked rather well.

I like the boolit design of the 225415 but have been curious about the Bator mold. I may buy one just to try it as Mid South has them in stock. I'm basically looking for a good plinker with the Mini-14. For low pressure, reduced velocity loads, the cast boolit still seems capable of destroying tin cans with some authority. Frank

I was looking at this mold earlier and thought it was a nice looking boolit. Does anyone have any experience with it?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/505...oint-gas-check
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

225415!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockchucker View Post
    I was looking at this mold earlier and thought it was a nice looking boolit. Does anyone have any experience with it?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/505...oint-gas-check
    It's not a bad boolit by any stretch. I bought 5K years ago that had been cast, sized and lubed at an estate auction, and they shot fine.

One thing you may want to remember is that RCBS uses pure lino to develop their boolits and Lyman uses #2 alloy.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    It's not a bad boolit by any stretch. I bought 5K years ago that had been cast, sized and lubed at an estate auction, and they shot fine.

One thing you may want to remember is that RCBS uses pure lino to develop their boolits and Lyman uses #2 alloy.
    I'm guessing what you're saying is that the rcbs mold might drop some smaller boolits if I don't use straight Linotype, which I'm not.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the RCBS 22-55 mould, and in 92/6/2 alloy it casts wide enough to "clean up" in a .225" H&I sizer. In Lino, it falls out at .226"+. I do get A LOT fewer culls with Lino than with WW or 92/6/2.

F C Van--I would be keenly interested in your load details for running the Mini-14. If you're concerned about "going public" with data, a PM would be fine.

I a bolt Ruger 77RC, the RCBS boolit has been good to mediocre overall. I am like a little kid at times--easily distracted--and need to give the caliber and boolit a more disciplined workout. All 3 of my 223s have 1-9" twist, and the best loads in the bolter so far have come with IMR-4198 at the 1700 FPS threshold, 1.5" to 1.8" at 100 yards. Not exemplary, but still jackrabbit-capable. Jacks 'em up right proper, too.

I have a re-barrel for my much-used 22-250 almost under way, using a Shilen with 1-12" twist. I'm hoping to make it a cast boolit rat strafer of the first order, with the RCBS 22-55.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    The CZ .22 Hornet probably has a 1:16"twist; at least that's what their website says. Typically, the .221 Fireball comes with a 1:12" twist.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for the information on the 22 055 9.3X62AL, I'm very new to rifle boolits and thought this boolit would go through my star well since it's a flat nose. At the moment I don't have any rifle moulds, but looking forward to casting some. I really need to read and do more research on load data for the 223. My gun is a Bushmaster A2 with a short barrel, I believe it's 11".
    Sorry If I hijacked this thread and got off topic a little. Good luck with your search Softpoint.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast