Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in a copy of the original .32 colt New Police bullet?

Boolit Master

Any interest in a copy of the original .32 colt New Police bullet?

When colt chambered their revolvers for the .32 S&W long, they called them ".32 New Police." To keep from marking any of their guns with the S&W name. At the same time, they specified that the bullet be a flat nose projectile, rather than round nose. Otherwise the cartridges are the same.

I have one each of the original Ideal and Winchester molds for the .32 New Police, and I find the bullets to shoot well in all of my .32 revolvers (not just the colt) and I would be interested in getting a multi-cavity mold for the same bullet.

The Ideal mold that I have casts a 102 grain bullet at .316" from my alloy. I suspect it would cast .313+" in pure lead, and obviously weigh a bit more.

The Ideal bullet has a single wide and shallow lube groove. The Winchester bullet is pictured further down in the thread, and has a deeper but narrower lube groove with a wider base band.

Last edited by NoZombies; 04-08-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Adding photo
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Please post the pictures. That might generate some more interest.

Thanks,

Doc

Boolit Man
    I'm posting to subscribe to the thread. I have a fondness for .32 caliber molds.
    Slim

Boolit Master

Depending on design,cost, and maker I might be interested also. To me it is the early incarnation of the WFRN style bullet.

What number is your ideal mould?

Made in U.S.A.
    NoZombies

Send us a few samples and will get a drawing up.

NOE Bullet Moulds
    1645 W 150 N
    Provo, UT 84601

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Master
    Jeremy, my mold is part of a tong combination tool simply marked "32 NP"

I've updated the first post with a photo of the bullet

My mold has a very slight bevel base to it. I would not be at all apposed to losing that.

And here's what a loaded round looks like, when loaded with the 32 new police combo tong tool:

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Tony,

That is the bullet I thought it would be. I have an unusable tong tool of this variety. I think it would be a good one to have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Tony,

That is the bullet I thought it would be. I have an unusable tong tool of this variety. I think it would be a good one to have.
    Jeremy,

I looked for a long time to find a .32 S&W tong tool, and just happened across this one. Since it's part of my "Zombie's are coming" bug-out bag, being a flat nose is better than if it would have been the round nose variety. Now if only I could find a set of 310 dies, I'd be set.

In the mean time, I'd like to have a 2+ cavity version of the mold. Of course, I am a .32 mold hoarder, so that should surprise no-one.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've got a handful of the bullets in a padded envelope addressed to NOE. I'll send them out as soon as I get to the PO this week.

Boolit Master
    I finally had a chance to mess with the Winchester made .32 NP mold. It's got some minor differences, and I thought I would post about them here.

The base driving band is thicker, the lube groove is narrower, but deeper, and the meplat is slightly smaller. I think if there is enough interest for a group buy, I would recommend using the meplat from the Ideal bullet, and the base band and lube groove from the Winchester bullet.

Here's a side by side comparison, Ideal on the left, Winchester on the right.

Boolit Man
    I would like one with the possibilty of a hollow point version.

Boolit Master

I like the Winchester base with either meplat.

Boolit Master
    I also like the Winchester base. The larger meplat would be nice if it is possible.

Doc

Boolit Master
    I believe that your ideal bullet may be the same as the #31357. I have a single cavity mold with this designation and just compared it with your pic, and they look identical. The sample that I weighed came in at 100.7 grs. I would be interested in a mold if it was similiar to the ideal.
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Those two bullets bring a question to mind. If 2 bullets have the exact same lube capacity, but one's lube groove is shorter and deeper vs a longer and shallower lube groove, would there be any effect?

Boolit Master
    As a general rule, there is a direct relationship between base band thickness and potential gas cutting. If these bullets are loaded to .32 New Police (or S&W long) pressures, I don't imagine either would suffer from gas cutting. In my limited experience shooting the ideal bullet, I saw no evidence of leading. I was not pushing the bullet to magnum velocities, so I can't speak to that.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if this would work in a Colt .31 caliber percussion revolver...?

Rich

I've never owned a 31 caliber cap & ball, but Mike Venturino's Shooting Colt Single Actions lists ball diameter at .325. 32 pistol bullets run no more than .314. Odd that 31's are 32 and 32's are 31.

Boolit Master
    That's Mike...

but the one sitting here on my desk is about .314"

I never did like the idea some espouse of using a baby sledge to seat the balls.

I'd be interested in either flavor should it make it to an active GB

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast