Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Part of the 10mm club!!

Love Life

Part of the 10mm club!!

Well almost. I put a Colt Delta Elite on layaway today and will be bringing her home in a month or so.

Anywho I searched through the 10mm threads and got great info on the cartridge and loading for it, but not much on the gun.

I have read the reviews around the net, but I would like to hear what members here have to say about the gun.

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks a bunch. Now if you'll excuse me I will be on my way to hunt up brass, a mould, and other necessities.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting the 10mm Auto since 1991. The new Colt's Delta Elite has most of the "kinks" worked out of it. I would check to make certain that the spring is stout enough to handle Double Tap's and Buffalo Bore's loads. These are at the "upper end" of the 10mm's practical range in an auto pistol.

The revolver is a slightly different animal, as it can take a slightly higher pressure load for a longer period of time.

Remember, the 10mm Auto's MAXIMUM pressure is 37,500 psi (same as the .38 Super.) This lends itself to using heavier bullets for hunting purposes, as well as hot and heavy antipersonnel loads ranging between 155 and 180 grains in weight.

Lighter bullets (from 135-150) grains are quite effective against smaller game and bad guys in summer apparel, but a thick glass plate, reinforced with chicken wire, can stop a lighter bullet.

For summer carry, a 155-grain JHP Double Tap load is an excellent choice, while a 180-grain JHP is a better bet against winter clothing. (Penetration being a key factor in reaching the vital organs.)

I hope that this has been illuminating.

Scott

Boolit Master

Look into the 175sthp winchester ammo. It has been great since the 90s and is what I carry. A friend had an older Delta and I have a G20.

Both were good. The delta had trouble with the front sight coming off. Other than that, no issues.

I have not played much with cast in the 10mm.

You'll want to make sure you have some AA9 and 800x if you want to load it to full potential.

Love Life
    Hopefully it is not as finicky as the 9mm was or as the 40S&W is rumored to be with cast boolits. Only time will tell.

Thank you for all the information so far!

Boolit Master
    I have heard of some difficulties experienced with the W-W Silvertip Hollow Point:

1) Failure to expand,

2) Failure to reach advertised velocities, and,

3) Failure to stop the aggressor.

Check www.ballisticsbytheinch.com to understand why the Silvertip factory loads aren't all that they are "cracked up to be."

Buffalo Bore's 180-grain JHC is a "bad boy" in the extreme. It works, without a single shred of doubt.

Scott

I like the Delta Elite. The one thing I would comment on is mine appears to have a fairly tight chamber (only about .003" room for expansion), and accumulated fouling/grunge can have an impact on feeding reliability, so I make a point to keep it clean.
    Glen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    I have heard of some difficulties experienced with the W-W Silvertip Hollow Point:

1) Failure to expand,

2) Failure to reach advertised velocities, and,

3) Failure to stop the aggressor.

Check www.ballisticsbytheinch.com to understand why the Silvertip factory loads aren't all that they are "cracked up to be."

Buffalo Bore's 180-grain JHC is a "bad boy" in the extreme. It works, without a single shred of doubt.

Scott
    How many one shot stops with that BB load? How many actual shootings?
    Name a handgun round that can be counted on to really stop an aggressor 100%.

Love Life
    Keep em' coming gents! Lord help me to be strong and stay away from the swaging area.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I don't know much about the Delta Elite,as I have been shooting a Glock and S&W 1006. I use the RCBS TC mold with Blue Dot powder and LP brass. There IS something about a 180 Gr. boolit doing 1300 FPS!
    Last edited by seagiant; 05-07-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
    How many one shot stops with that BB load? How many actual shootings?
    Name a handgun round that can be counted on to really stop an aggressor 100%.
    Penetration is the key with any handgun round. The Buffalo Bore 180-grain JHP has both the velocity and the expansion to make the penetrating capabilities of the 10mm count. this is especially important during the winter months in Northern latitudes where the object of the exercise is likely to be wearing thick layers of clothing.

Violent expansion when using the 150-165 grain bullets is where the 10mm Auto really shines! The lighter bullets tend to expand abruptly, causing permanent cavitation and result in profound exanguination. Lighter bullets are great in the Southern latitudes, where little resistance, due to clothing, is encountered, however, not many opponents in a gunfight are running around in just a t-shirt.

Scott

Love Life
    Penetration is the key with any handgun round. The Buffalo Bore 180-grain JHP has both the velocity and the expansion to make the penetrating capabilities of the 10mm count. this is especially important during the winter months in Northern latitudes where the object of the exercise is likely to be wearing thick layers of clothing.

Violent expansion when using the 150-165 grain bullets is where the 10mm Auto really shines! The lighter bullets tend to expand abruptly, causing permanent cavitation and result in profound exanguination. Lighter bullets are great in the Southern latitudes, where little resistance, due to clothing, is encountered, however, not many opponents in a gunfight are running around in just a t-shirt.

Scott
    I'm not trying to cause trouble here, but I really don't see your parka stopping a 155 gr projectile screaming along.

I have my own ideas on killing power and the 10mm fits in there well. Heck to me all firearms fit in there well.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

-Break-

SeaGiant- I was eyeballin that mould today.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'm not trying to cause trouble here, but I really don't see your parka stopping a 155 gr projectile screaming along.

I have my own ideas on killing power and the 10mm fits in there well. Heck to me all firearms fit in there well.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

-Break-

SeaGiant- I was eyeballin that mould today.
    The 180-grain JHP screaming along at 1350 fps is going to rip someone a new anal port. I guarantee it!

The idea of the 10mm is to make the most of the .401" bullet, regardless of the application.

Scott

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Quit lookin and start castin!!! Ha! Everyone here knows I'm the poster child for RCBS molds! I don't see how you can beat them even new at current prices. The only downside I will admit to is they don't come in a 4 cavity but I'd rather have a 2 cavity RCBS than a 4 cavity Lyman or 6 cavity LEE!

You might look at the Blue Dot also a VERY nice powder for 10MM! Here's a pic of my CH Auto Champ I just set up to load 10mm on!
    Last edited by seagiant; 05-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Love Life
    The 180-grain JHP screaming along at 1350 fps is going to rip someone a new anal port. I guarantee it!

The idea of the 10mm is to make the most of the .401" bullet, regardless of the application.

Scott
    No doubt, but once you start poking high velocity holes in people they tend to knock it off regardless.

The only reason I would shoot balls to the wall ammo is when out hiking due to mountain lions finding me more interesting than I find them. For that reason I will have a box of barn burners.

For casual shooting I will go with midrange loads. More like a 40 S&W +P. Or maybe even more mild than that.

now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Love Life
    I agree with you 100% SeaGiant. I love RCBS moulds because they are awesome. I hate RCBS moulds because they are 2 cavity.

I am waiting until I get the gun before I buy a mould so I can slug the barrel. Why blue dot? I was looking at the good old standby of unique.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well... I'm not going to give you any razzle dazzle I try things and stick with what I like. A 10mm aficianado on the S&W site suggested I try it and I did. You can load it up or down,it has a good "feel"(Pressure Curve?) when you shoot it. I use AA#5 for 45 ACP but given my druthers I would use WW-231 it is actually my favorite powder for the 45 but I came onto a jug of AA#5 so have been using it!With powder prices so high I sometimes have to use what comes down the pike at the best price.

Unique is an excellent powder but I think the Blue Dot is more suited for the 10MM? To be fair the Blue Dot is a fluffy powder so the metering has to be watched but I watch the powder anyway! In a case like this a Google search might give more opinions!

Boolit Mold
    Hello, I'm new to the forum here, interested in the RG4 10mm/40Cal 200 grain FN/HP and signed on for the group buy pages for one.

I have been active on several of the forums and up till now just lurked around on here...
    I have been shooting and handloading for the 10mm since March 1990, I started out casting with the RCBS 175 gr TC SWC, then with the Lyman 4cavity 175 grain TCBB and more recently with the Lyman 156 gr Devastator HP.

Blue Dot has been a mainstay powder over the years, but use Power Pistol, LongShot, 800X, AA#7, AA#9.

Seeing how Hornady left us 10mm guys out in the cold on the "ZOMBIE MAX" I decided to do my own thing for the ZOMBIE invasion!

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...w/IMG_0393.jpg

Here are some of my other cast BOOLITS for Zombies...

Looking forward to the conversations...

Love Life
    Ooooooooooohh. I want green boolits. How did you do it and welcome aboard!

Boolit Master
    Ouch!

Boolit Master

I ran/run almost everything full speed in my G20. The recoil in the Glock is much "friendlier" than it was in the Delta.

My pal liked Unique and I flirted with Titegroup, but wasn't impressed. Ken Waters had a lot of good stuff in "Pet Loads" for the big ten. Without digging it out, I want to say he liked AA7 the best all-around. I'll look/verify after work.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast