WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 180gr load data - Unique/H110/Blue Dot?

Boolit Man

.357 180gr load data - Unique/H110/Blue Dot?

Looking to use THESE GUYS for reloading. Hoping I can get 1100 or so fps out of a load with the powders mentioned. Anyone got any data?

Boolit Grand Master

1100 fps in what platform?

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I'm hesitant to suggest a powder charge without knowing what you're gonna try these in. I would suggest starting around 11.5-12gr 2400 and working up. With H110 I would start around 14gr and work up. Unique is too fast burning to get close to the velocity you're looking for. I won't suggest Blue Dot at all.

Boolit Master

Not enough information. But try AA#7 (it's similar to Blue Dot without the drama, and it measures better) You should be able to get at least 1200 fps from a 6" barrel. Probably closer to 1300. Be careful.

Banned

pistol? rifle?

Boolit Man
    Sorry for not elaborating, buddy has a 6" .357. Can't remember the brand, but he says they go for $1300+ish. Like I said, when it comes to loads, I'm not looking for a maxed out barn burner, just something that bangs good, is accurate and not dangerous.

Boolit Bub
    Of the powders you listed, I would recommend starting with the H110. Unique wont get you there, and I only use Blue Dot in .357 with light (125gr and less) jacketed stuff. Hadn't had alot of luck (accuracy) with it on heavy cast stuff.

Banned

6" -1100fps-180 grs with the 357
    the H-110 bottle shows 13.5 grs with a jaxketed boolit. for 1300 fps.
    but i don't know from what.
    the drop down would be @ .31 grains for a start load. so 13.2 to start.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by savage1r View Post
    Sorry for not elaborating, buddy has a 6" .357. Can't remember the brand, but he says they go for $1300+ish. Like I said, when it comes to loads, I'm not looking for a maxed out barn burner, just something that bangs good, is accurate and not dangerous.
    Do you have the bullets yet? I like 158 grain SWC or RNFP cast bullets and load in .357 Magnum brass with 8.0 grains of Herco and small pistol primers. This is a max load, or close to it anyway.

No offense intended, but do you know what you are doing? If so, it doesn't really come across... Do you know anybody who reloads who can help you? Sorry if I'm misreading the situation.

Boolit Master

If your buddy has a 6" revolver it can one of two or three that were made, and they are really worth a lot these days.

I still have two boxes of the Remington factory loads, they were famous for flame cutting the top strap on the revolvers. I shoot the 357 Max in my Contenders, I use the Lyman mold to cast a 214 grain SWC that works well for me.

The 357 Max makes a really good deer hunting round.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master

What you actually shoot it in, is very important. And with such a powerfaul cartridge I would know everything to know about what your shooting it in.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master

Jerry, why do you think he has a .357 Max? Maybe he does, but I didn't see any clues

Boolit Man
    No offense taken. This is just my first time reloading for .357. My usual fare is 9mm, .45, 7.62x39, x51, x54r. This is also my second run using cast lead bullets and I like using the heavies. My last batch was 1000 147gr 9mm and they have been amazing in my sub2000. A bit snappy for the PF-9 though.

Boolit Man
    Just heard from my buddy that he has a 1978 Dan Wesson. Beautiful revolver that was printing 1" at 20 yards.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Chamfered View Post
    Of the powders you listed, I would recommend starting with the H110. Unique wont get you there, and I only use Blue Dot in .357 with light (125gr and less) jacketed stuff. Hadn't had alot of luck (accuracy) with it on heavy cast stuff.
    Alliant has a warning out not to use Blue Dot and 125 gr jacketed bullets in 357 loads. You will not find data for this combo on their site.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by savage1r View Post
    Just heard from my buddy that he has a 1978 Dan Wesson. Beautiful revolver that was printing 1" at 20 yards.
    Then he has the equivalant of a Model 19 and as such I would caution against using other than moderate loads. I have one and the barrel is very thin at the forcing cone.

Boolit Man
    Yeah, like I said, I'm not looking for a high powered load here, just one that will be fun and accurate. It's looking like for H-110 I'm seeing 12.5-13ish grains will work ok?

Boolit Master

With H110, you can *only* load high powered knucklebusters (and it's a useful powder for that) You also need to use magnum primers or rifle primers. It's a very poor choice for someone just starting to load a cartridge -- other than .30 M1 Carbine.

AA#9 or 2400 will give you almost the same performance and are easier to live with. AA#7 and Power Pistol are pretty high up there too, and are cheaper to use. You can use standard primers with all four.

Boolit Man
    Ok, then what would you suggest for AA#7 or Power Pistol?

Boolit Master

It would help if you were using a standard size and weight bullet (158's)

In their 2004 load book, Alliant recommends 7.0 grains of Power Pistol as a max load with 180 grain jacketed bullets. So maybe use 6.5?

Accurate lists a starting load of 8.3 grains of #7 and a max load of 9.2 online for 180 grain LaserCast lead flat-points.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast