Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with info on Stevens tip up pistol

Boolit Master
    Nice specimen. It's still one of the "old style" with the cast trigger guard, i.e., the über cool version. How does it shoot?

I would imagine your backstrap is drilled for a Lyman No. 43 or 44 sight. I don't know the thread size offhand, but you ought to measure it with a wood match and a thread gauge in any case. Your gunsmith ought to have plug screws to fill the holes. You may find a replacement silencer before you luck onto one of the sights.

Boolit Bub
    I have not shot this and when I do I will use Colibri

Do yo know for sure that my Stevens is set up for a silencer and if so how can I get the thread protector off

Thanks
    Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon

Boolit Master
    I've seen a few .22 rifles of the same period with similar knurled thread protectors. You could buy a silencer back then with no registration or excise tax. They were either screwed on to the threaded end of the barrel or attached to the unmodified barrel with a clamp. You needed a gunsmith with a lathe to thread the barrel, unless you sent the gun in to the manufacturer to be fitted at the factory.

There were ads in the sporting magazines showing a kid in Little Lord Fauntleroy clothes shooting his silencer equipped .22 at a target set up in the living room fireplace. Through the open door to the kitchen, you could see Mater talking unconcernedly with her lady friends over tea. O tempore, O mores.

When I have something like that stuck together, I warm the assembly and treat it with Kroil or Liquid Wrench. I bought a small strap wrench at Home Depot and use that as persuasion with the barrel held in nonmarring jaws in a vise. If you can't get it apart, it really isn't hurting anything the way it is.

Boolit Buddy

Mine is a 8" bbl, strap trigger guard, un drilled backstrap, barrel threaded 1/2x20 RH thread, 17500 serial range. I've seen three different knurl patterns on the muzzle nut, full fine pattern like yours, center fine knurl stripe like mine, and coarse full knurl. It is really quiet with the little TAC65 attached. I made an adaptor for my CZ452 that is 1/2x20 and found it fit the pistol too. lucky me.

you might try a bit of heat and a layer of aluminum beer can for the grip on the knurling, heat and paraffin usually will get it done..

Boolit Buddy
    Soak with Kroil and use a heat gun to heat it. Won't get hot enough to damage anything. Got a stuck barrel on a 44 loose that way.

Boolit Bub
    What kind of suppressor was used when the gun was manufactured, I would like to find a period silencer if possible
    Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830

Perma-Banned

I have never came across a tip up yet. One day I will. That Smith is a great gun. It is my favorite 22 that I own

Boolit Buddy

Period correct suppressor was most likely a Maxim, I have seen them, but they are scarce. the oddest one I've ever handled was a Maxim marked 25/35 for a Winchester lever action. It was on its way into the furnace, almost cried....

Boolit Master
    I ran across one of these yesterday, all I could do to keep my wallet from jumping out of my pocket. I did not handle it for that very reason
    May have to go back and discus the matter this weekend. Realistic value for the gun only, looks in good shape, 6ish inch barrel ?

Boolit Bub
    Here are the pictures of the holster that my #35 spend 50+ years in. I don't think it is a Stevens, on the belt loop is stamped 1094 (probably model number)
    22 (for caliber) and 10 (barrel length). It's ok-- it's period
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-10-28 08.06.11.jpg   2014-10-28 08.06.38.jpg  
    Last edited by uhjohnson; 10-28-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12