Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with info on Stevens tip up pistol

Boolit Buddy

Need help with info on Stevens Model 35 pistol

I just got this one today. It is a Stevens tip up and may also be called a #35 and or a Stevens offhand or offhand target.

One source I found said the marking on this pistol was used from 1886 to 1916.

Can anyone give me any more info or a source?

Corrected heading since I found out correct model; Model 35 rather than tip-up.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stevens-markings.jpg   Stevens-L-open.jpg   Stevens-R.jpg  
    Last edited by nwellons; 03-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.

In Remembrance
    I had a chance to examine one years ago.
    Loved it. Simple mechanically, handles like a dream.
    Why in the world doesn't someone make a copy today?

In Remebrance

I didn't buy one like that years back, and I still kick myself. I've seen a few articles on them, I'll have to try and remember to look around to find them. You might check the archives of The Single Shot Exchange. I think there is at least one J Stevens Arms collectors book out too.

That looks to be in nice shape. Good on you!

Boolit Master
    If you can find a copy of "Stevens' Pistols and Pocket Rifles" by Kenneth L. Cope, there is a pretty complete rundown of this type of Stevens gun. Also Bill West's book on "Stevens & Savage" is a pretty thorough description of all models by both manufacturers.

The predecessor was the Gould pistol which was made from 1889 to 1903. There was apparently some kind of hiatus until 1907, when the Gould was redesigned to eliminate the firing pin bushing and the grip modified slightly. The result was the pistol you have, the Offhand #35, made from 1907 to 1916. Calibers were .22 Short, Long Rifle, Stevens-Pope, WRF and .25 Stevens. Barrel lengths were 6", 8" and 10". After WWI and the takeover of Stevens by Savage, the #35 Offhand was again changed, to incorporate a longer trigger and a (to me at least) rather cheesy bent-metal trigger guard. This version was made from 1923 to 1942. It was in .22 LR only, but there was another version, called the Autoshot, in .410 Shot caliber. An additional barrel length for this version was 12-1/4". This info is from Cope's book.

In the 1950's and 60's, an importer called Hawes (I think) offered a copy of the earlier #35 Offhand, and specimens of these are very occasionally found at gun shows. They had rather attractive faux-ivory grips and what looked like chrome, rather than nickel plated frames. By then the idea of a single shot pistol was so obsolete as to be only a curiousity and they did not sell well. This was well before Thompson-Center started making their pistols; I don't know if a revival of the Stevens version would go now or not.

I have a 35 like yours that needed a complete rebuilding, including link, extractor, firing pin, barrel pin and catch and a reline job. The fun coefficient made all that work worth it; I wish I could shoot as well as it does.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the responses folks, and thanks for the great information, Bent Ramrod. Looks like the Stevens & Savage book is still in print at West Arms Library.

I have been having great fun shooting it over the last 3 days. It is much more accurate than my ability to hold steady. What a great pistol.

Boolit Man
    Great looking gun, you got a nice one. If you plan on shooting it much at all I would highly recommend not using high velocity ammo in it. Would be a shame to shoot it loose. Enjoy it thou, they are wonderful little guns.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought it for my "quiet" backyard range I built. I'm using Colibris in my pistols and Super Colibris in my rifles. Only disadvantage is they are a bit dirty but I don't mind cleaning after each session.

Quote Originally Posted by nwellons View Post
    I just got this one today. It is a Stevens tip up and may also be called a #35 and or a Stevens offhand or offhand target.

One source I found said the marking on this pistol was used from 1886 to 1916.

Can anyone give me any more info or a source?
    The Tip-up model pictured only looks like a a No.35 Stevens Off Hand Target Pistol, introduced after the legendary Conklin No.38, Gould No.37 & Lord No.36 were discontinued.

Early versions had a heavy/cast TG, later ones were lighter strap iron; issue bbl lengths were 6", 8," 10", or 12-1/4", in .22 & .25 cal, and in .410 smoothbore until the 1934 National Firearms Act took effect. They were discontinued in 1916; the Autoshot No.35/.410 was made 1929-34.
    I believe, because of the TG, it's a later post WWI revival, a No.35 Off Hand (not "Target"), intro'd in 1923, discontinued in 1942.

IIRC, Euro-made .22LR clones were imported into the US by Galef in the 1970's.

Last edited by pietro; 09-29-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Made in U.S.A.
    Great little guns

(3) No.35 "Off-Hand Target" models and a No.41 "Tip-Up" model
    Would like to find a No.40 "New Model" 18" Pocket Rifle

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

This is an old thread, but I found it on a search. I purchased three guns today and one of them is a Stevens Model 35.

Here it is:

Here are the three guns I paid a total of $500.00 for:

The bottom one is a Model 17, purchased new in 1971. I think the original owner carried it a few times, but it spent most of it's life in the box.

Fred

Boolit Master
    ReloaderFred,

You probably got your $500 worth in the S&W alone. Is that the original box for the #35 underneath it?

Thanks, Bent Ramrod. I only wish that was the original box for the Model 35! It's an old S&W box for a Model 15 that was stolen from the seller about 25 years ago. I wish both boxes were in better condition, especially the one for the Model 17, but at least it's the original box the gun came from the factory in.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master

They made a copy back inthe 70's and nobody would buy them.

I have relined several of these and made new locking blocks for them. They are good shooters and most had excellent triggers from the factory. In 1970 this was my wife's favorite gun until someone stole it from the car.Wards sold these in about 1900 for under $5.00.

Boolit Master

Wink

I have one of the copys, fun shooter with shorts. Hammer spring is so strong wife can't cock it. Have to watch that it doesn't slip out from under your thumb.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

The one I bought is an original, and even has a little of the original case hardening on the receiver. I just got back from a trip to Arizona for a match, and haven't had a chance to fire any of my acquisitions yet. It's storming here, but I hope to get to the range next week and see how they shoot.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    ReloaderFred,

You probably got your $500 worth in the S&W alone. Is that the original box for the #35 underneath it?
    I'll say ! I paid another $100 when I bought my Model 17. Yours looks every bit as nice as mine.

CCI Quiet should be a treat in the little tip-up. I hate shooting that Colibri stuff because of the hard ring of fouling it leaves in the chamber. Takes an age of soaking to get it out. Brushing it does not speed matters up, so I don't
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    My aunt just sent me my grandfathers #35 and it has been in a stevens holster for atleast 50 to 60 years and there isn't any rust. The serial number is in the 27,000 range and it has two drilled and tapped holes on the backstrap where it looks like there was a shoulder stock at one time also the muzzle has an 3/8 knurled extension that looks like it could be
    screwed on. Could this be the target version
    Last edited by uhjohnson; 09-24-2014 at 11:24 PM.
    Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon

Boolit Master
    Stevens Number 35's were all classed as Sporting, rather than Target pistols. A number 35 in the 27,000 range is one of the early models, as the Gould models stopped at around 25,000. None of the Goulds, Conlins or 35's were set up for shoulder stocks at the factory. A factory installation would have a groove in the butt for the lower stock member and a single threaded hole well down the backstrap for the screw holding the top member. These were available on the various Pocket Rifles, which could do double duty as pistols.

The Conlin Vernier model had two holes well up the backstrap for the vernier rear sight. Perhaps some gunsmith did an aftermarket job on your grandfather's gun to fit one of these sights. Long after it was discontinued, Lyman offered a sight for the New Model Pocket Rifle that also could have been fitted onto a 35. Holes for this would also be high enough on the backstrap so the sight base would not interfere too much with the shooter's hand.

A threaded bushing on the muzzle is usually a protector for a barrel that has been threaded for a silencer.

Stevens offered cases for pocket rifles and takedown rifles, but I see no mention of a pistol holster. Could you post a picture of your gun and holster?

Boolit Bub
    i will get you some pictures meanwhile i found this bit of info

http://americansocietyofarmscollecto...B021_Kyser.pdf
    Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830

Boolit Bub
    Here are some pictures of my #35 showing the muzzle cover that could be a threaded barrel for a silencer, I have tried to remove it with a pair of pliers and a piece of radiator hose and it won't budge. Also the backstrap has been drilled and tapped for an vernier sight (possibly). If anybody has the specs from an original drill and tap let me know the measurements. Lastly iwas off from my earlier post of the serial number by almost 20,000

I will get pictures of the holster soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-10-05 10.19.20.jpg   2014-10-05 10.20.32.jpg   2014-10-05 10.21.12.jpg   2014-10-05 10.21.41.jpg   2014-10-05 10.23.44.jpg  

2014-10-05 10.24.46.jpg   2014-10-05 10.26.11.jpg   2014-10-05 10.35.50.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast