Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Stainless Rossi 92 38/357- 16" barrel advice

Stainless Rossi 92 38/357- 16" barrel advice

Hey Guys,
    My wife has picked out her 10th anniversary gift, a stainless Rossi 92 in 38/357 w/ a 16" barrel. This is the first new gun she has asked for, she usually just claims one of mine for a while. She saw this one and commented on how much she liked it. I went to my local gunstore (50 miles away) and the store owner made a few calls and could not find one. I found one on the internet and it will be here in about a week.
    I have read many articles saying that these Rossi's need a little work. What kind of things have you guys found? I am thinking about putting a Lyman or Williams peep sight on it. Has any one drilled and tapped one of these stainless Rossi's? I was wondering how hard the stainless is on these.
    My last questions are, do they tend to feed the Lyman 358429 and the Miha 359640?
    Thanks in advanced
    jmsj

I mounted a Williams peep sight on the 16" Rossi .38/.357 Model 92, I'm selling elsewhere.

In order to zero the gun using the issue height front sight blade, I installed a very low peep, meant for the Winchester 94 Angle Eject - the Williams 5D-94AE - via D/T one 6-48 hole atop the rear portion of each receiver sidewall.

I dunno 'bout the Rossi stainless, but CAN tell you that the carbon steel used in mine is HARD ! .

I also had to remove the protruding bolt-top safety/ears, replacing it with a handmade plug, so the peep sight bar would clear he bolt/etc, in it's lowest position.

Last edited by pietro; 03-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I shamelessly copied Pietro and did the same thing to my Rossi 92 (blued) using the same sight. I was able to zero mine using the factory front sight and leaving the stock safety installed. Mine feeds the Lee 158 RNFP and Lyman 358429 just fine but you can't crimp the 429 in the crimp groove in mag brass, it's too long. I taper crimp mine on the front drive band for an oal of 1.638. Very accurate with max loads of 296, runs about 1650 fps.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Thanks guys for the replies.
    Pietro, your set up looks great.
    Thanks, jmsj

Boolit Mold
    I have a Rossi 92 in .357, one with the looong octagon barrel- she's a terrific shooter. One thing I've found is you have to work the lever like you mean it- get gentle on operating it and it can hang up. Here are a couple sites about doing a fluff-n-buff & upgrade parts.
    http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossitune.htm
    http://store.stevesgunz.com/

I hope she likes her 92 as much as I like mine.

This is a different-type peep sight I tried on my .45cal 16" M92-a Skinner LoPro with a 6-48 stem screwed into a likewise hole I D/T'd in the dehorned bolt-top safety.
    the safety, of course, is a drop-in/out, held/aligned only by the small pin through the bolt in the locking lug recess.

FWIW: When ordering the Skinner LoPro online, the special-sized stem can be specified in the comment section of the order process, at no extra cost/time.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Man
    I have an older Rossi SRC, with a 20 inch barrel. It works well with the Lyman 358429 bullet in .357 Magnum cases. I crimp in the normal crimp groove and it feeds without problem.
    As I understand it, Lyman moulds may not all be identical and it is possible that yours is bit longer, or shorter, in length from crimp groove to bullet nose. I would try crimping in the crimp groove with a couple of test cartridges, and if they don't work you can go shorter.
    However, in a rifle, unlike a revolver, the crimp is there to keep the bullet from being pushed deeper into the case. Crimping over the front of the bullet doesn't help.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 16" Rossi in .45 that will regularly hit the 200 yard target with the factory sights.

Boolit Master
    I have a very early Rossi '92 in 357 Magnum with 16" barrel, and it already had a receiver sight installed on the receiver when it came my way from an estate. The first boolit I tried in it was a 180RF profile from a group buy a few years ago. This boolit has 3 crimp grooves so it can be loaded to a length to suit the firearm. NOT. As it turned out the dimensions of the nose prevented it from traveling from the lifter into the chamber even when loaded to its shortest possible length. My next effort was to single load these 180s and test for groups. Don't have my notes in front of me, but I was not very impressed with the groups this boolit produced. Next, I had also loaded some 358156 boolits (160 grain) in magnum cases. These cycled perfectly through the action and gave much better groups. Also, felt recoil from the 180 grain boolits was greater that that of the 160 grain boolits, as expected, but it was still more than the simple addition of 20 grains weight would justify. Don't recall if I had loaded the heavier boolit to a higher pressure level than the 160s, but the recoil was half again that of the lighter boolit. At a later time I experimented with a lighter boolit than the 160, and that one was not very impressive. Quick summary, my rifle prefers the 358156, either by profile or weight, more than any other boolit I have tried so far. Good luck with your loading project. These '92s are a lot of fun and are almost as handy as a handgun when strolling through the woods. Enjoy!

Thin Man