RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for input on silencer how-to books

I have made a number of them. I filed form 1’s on a trust because I didn’t have to ask permission from local LEO but the laws changed a few years ago. That took out the trust route but made it easier to get an approval back as an individual. The “silencer”, at the NFA branch calls it, is the “Type of firearm to be built” per 4. b., on your approved form 1 and as long as you didn’t make it permanently attached to a barrel you can move it from one gun to another.

I don’t know of any good books or what tools you have at your disposal. The way I made them calls for a lathe, mill and TIG welder but there are easier methods for sure.

You may poke around http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php.

Boolit Buddy
    AndyB1, what brand are the last 2 stocks?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shortlegs View Post
    AndyB1, what brand are the last 2 stocks?
    https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-old-models/t3-sporter

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    There are many suppliers of parts to make a great Form 1 silencer (the proper terminology as per Maxim), many of these can rival and beat commercially available ones. Since I refuse to do the "Tax", I stay away from them. But I do have a 55gl foam lined barrel I shoot through to reduce the noise where I shoot.

Pic from the net. Legal because it does not attach to a weapon.
    Attachment 234542
    I saw a guy, on YouTube, that was shooting through some tires, that he had standing up, and banded, like your diagram. It suppressed quite a bit of the noise, especially with pistols. It got interesting when he started shooting larger rifles though. The tires had some standing water, in the bottom, and I think he was shooting a .50. He took a bath.

Remember the 2 liter Coke bottle threaded 1911 bushings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kuffar View Post
    I saw a guy, on YouTube, that was shooting through some tires, that he had standing up, and banded, like your diagram. It suppressed quite a bit of the noise, especially with pistols. It got interesting when he started shooting larger rifles though. The tires had some standing water, in the bottom, and I think he was shooting a .50. He took a bath.
    Same principle, but it would work better if you filled the dead space with foam or other materials to help absorb the report. I used the barrel so I can close it back up to keep the critters and weather out. The plastic barrels with the removable lids work best, metal ones work but heavier to position.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Barrels lined with foam mattresse materials works, the tires works the best. Longer the better, smaller the exit hole the better, when you use tires drill big holes in the bottom to let the water drain out, cool effect if you dont, like washing your face in a hurricane.
    Be safe
    Last edited by leebuilder; 02-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Grand Master

If you use foam be aware of the fire hazard. A buddy caught his on fire and just about lost his shop. We think unburnt powder built up and ignited.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-02-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Boolit Master

Some stuff is as flammable as kindling. I should of said test it.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Bub
    I was talking to a buddy, the other day. He told me, and I haven't corroborated this story, that that Occasio-Cortez nightmare, may actually have one good idea. She has threatened to vote FOR, the law, allowing suppressors. It's good for people's ears.
    If that would pass, you could legally own one, without the $200.00 government brib...er...tax stamp.

Boolit Master

The OP hasn't been on the website since 2015...

Banned
    I just wanted to throw my two cents about silencers being regulated. WHY do we put up with this? We should all write our congressmen, put pressure on the NRA etc.
    When I was a kid before Kennedy was shot. We made all kinds of silencers. STUPID EASY.
    For a 22 rimfire...Cut a piece of hose that fits over the barrel and jam it on there. That's how easy it is. If you want to get fancy. Drill a bunch of holes in a piece of plastic or rubber tubing that will slip fit tight on the barrel, Lightly wrap some fiberglass insulation around it and wrap duck tape around that to hold it on there. Much of the gas goes into the holes and into the insulation. You might think this is hick stupid but if you try it you will see...works very well.
    Silencers are so simple you don't need any formal designs ..no books etc. Just capture as much gas as you can (or can handle) and vent it into some fire proof insulation or a chamber that will allow the gas to accumulate expand and gradually (compared to the blast of the gun) let the gas back out.
    So I can go to jail for sticking a piece of garden hose on the end of a 22 barrel? These laws so aggravate me.
    ...Now where did I put that plutonium...?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    The OP hasn't been on the website since 2015...
    Well, I guess we can’t say Sig doesn’t know how to use the search function, 12 years +/-...

Boolit Bub
    The best resources I found when I was making my form 1 suppressors was silencertalk.com and form1suppressors.boards.net. Very good folks and we’ll worth checking out. If you’re the “build my own stuff just because” kind of guy or have your own metal working machines, it’s well worth checking out.

For the process, figure your plans, FILE YOUR FORMS, and THEN build and you’re fine. It’s not hard and really you can buy everything but the hole-punched baffles which you’ll need a drill press, x-y press vise and the right bits for, but it’s not hard.

I’ve got a second form 1 I’ve had approved for over two years just hanging out until I’m ready to build my .223 can. Wanted to make sure I had the paperwork approved in case Hillary got elected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12