Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on silencer how-to books

Looking for input on silencer how-to books

Nevermind
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 03-28-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Whatever you do, don't run afoul of BATFE and risk a vacation with Bubba at Club Fed. Register your tube first, before you start making internals.

I hesitate to even reply to this because in this political climate, one can never be too sure to whom one is speaking, even more so over the net. Making silencers without registering them is a felony; and a pretty big one at that. So, what I'm saying is, if you really want to know, few wise people are going to be willing to assist you out in the open. Sorry about that.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Firstly you should refer to them as "suppressors".

We use them all the time over here in New Zealand. All prefectly legal here. I have one on my Rem 700 .223 that cuts the noise of full house loads down the rimfire level. Also have one on a .32-20 with a fast twist barrel. Shooting heavy subsonic in this is VERY quiet.

The best designs are the ones I use and sleeve down over the barrel and have an internal muzzle break that diverts most of the blast backwards into the containment can around the barrel and the balance of the blast is caught out front by the baffles as per traditional designs.

Be care o'there though!!!!!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

They are also legal in 30+ states here if the transfer tax is approved and paid. The subject is not taboo as long as it is just a discussion and you don't take a constructive step toward making one without the transfer stamp. What did you want to know about "how to books"?

Boolit Master
    Most of the "how to" books on the market are the "backyard mechanic specials", the kinda people make that are unregistered and end up getting in trouble for. Most people would be best off paying the tax and buying a comercially made one, tolerances are tight and yer talkin class 3A/B fit for thread attachments. Baffles strikes are usually pretty destructive to the can and firearm.
    Some where between here and there.....

Banned

I had an article long ago to quiet a shotgun. It was a barrel extension that made the barrel very long. It is perfectly legal. The premise was that all the powder was burned up and the pressure dropped before reaching the end of the barrel. The picture showed a barrel that could knock down birds without firing the gun.
    The reason they are not legal is because the liberals think more about a criminals rights then they do about the victims. Americans have no rights until they commit a crime.
    If you are rich then you can have some rights after you pay.
    If they hung the criminals from every lamp post, then we would not need such stupid laws and one billion lawyers.
    Last edited by 44man; 03-30-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Boolit Master

44MAN
    Hastings makes a barrel extention for shotguns that threads inplace of the choke tube
    It reduces the noise a LOT
    But it add 1.1 lb to the end of the barrel
    I tryed 1 a freingd bought , it would take some getting used to .

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Usta be a tree just outside the town I grew up in. Legend had it was the town "hanging tree". Never went past there w/o a shiver. Memories of that have mostly kept me out of trouble since then. (speeding tickets not included )

Sorry, not to hijack the thread, but the "lamp-posts" quote jogged some old memory cells.

Cabelas has the shotgun extension I believe. About $100 if I remember correctly...................Lee

Boolit Grand Master
    Several years ago, I checked into the legality/availability of manufactured "signature suppressors". There are quite a few companies that not only manufacture them, they'll thread your rifle barrel and install it for you, guaranteeing accuracy not affected. Prices at the time were running from a few hunnerd to "you're crazy!" levels.
    Furthermore, I found out for $200 and a ton of paperwork, you can get a federal permit to own and use one. Your record has to be clean as a pin and your reason for wanting one has to be reasonable and justifyable. E.G., target/recreational shooting on private property adjacent to neigbors.
    The "suppressor" will be registered to a given firearm and "shall not" be used or installed on any other firearm. If you want to suppress another firearm, ya' gotta go this process again. Mr. "jackboot" WILL come have a cup of coffee with you and verify your story. They don't issue too many of these permits and they check out all applicants very carefully.
    If you think all this is the down side, ask a lawyer or a BATF agent what it'll cost you if you make one and they catch you. Can you say "20 years"?

Please, friend, accept my encouragement to do this right or just forget about it. It ain't worth it.

Boolit Master
    Jim,

Some time ago a dealer at a gun show had a Walther P22 with a suppressor. According to him, the suppressor was the registered part and could be attached to another firearm.
    I have periodicaly entertained the idea of getting one that could be used on a Ruger Mark I bull bbl and and also a 10-22 with a bull bbl. You said it couldn't be used on another gun....Hmmm. Not that I doubt you but that would kill my idea as to multiple use.

Boolit Grand Master

Jim

"The "suppressor" will be registered to a given firearm and "shall not" be used or installed on any other firearm."

Not quite the case. If the suppressor is detachable and is registered as a suppressor it may be put on any firearm. However if the gun and suppressor are integral and the suppressor is not detachable then it is the gun/suppressor unit (one serial number) that is registered.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Larry,
    Yeah, like I said, it's been several years since I looked into this. I guess I got my facts wrong since then. Sorry about the incorrect post.

Boolit Grand Master

Jim

That's not a problem. Suppressors is a topic that there is much missinformation bantied about, sometimes it's hard to keep the facts straight. Most often we hear about them being "illegal" and big brother is watching so if we even think about them we are going to prison for 10 years and pay a $10,000 fine. Not so as I mentioned they ar legal in 30+ states. The hard part in many is getting a local sheriff or police chief to sign off on the transfer tax form. In some jurisdictions it is easy (if you have a clean record) but is some it is close to impossible. There are some interesting studies done on suppressors but most "new" information is close hold by the manufacturers.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Form 1 includes DIY suppressors & handy if you are a machinist or a serious hobbyist.
    NFA efiles were turning 2-3weeks according to my SOT when I filed my SBR form 1 before the shutdown. 1.5 months later, still waiting.
    My form 4s however were filed Aug/Sep last year so no light at the tunnel end for me.

Boolit Master

There are many suppliers of parts to make a great Form 1 silencer (the proper terminology as per Maxim), many of these can rival and beat commercially available ones. Since I refuse to do the "Tax", I stay away from them. But I do have a 55gl foam lined barrel I shoot through to reduce the noise where I shoot.

Pic from the net. Legal because it does not attach to a weapon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silencer.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	234542
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    There are many suppliers of parts to make a great Form 1 silencer (the proper terminology as per Maxim), many of these can rival and beat commercially available ones. Since I refuse to do the "Tax", I stay away from them. But I do have a 55gl foam lined barrel I shoot through to reduce the noise where I shoot.

Pic from the net. Legal because it does not attach to a weapon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silencer.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	234542
    Thanks for the picture

Boolit Master

absolutely nothing wrong with discussing silencer design. just make sure your tax stamp is in your hands before you start making chips. https://youtu.be/trzL_5aDsuI

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I had an article long ago to quiet a shotgun. It was a barrel extension that made the barrel very long. It is perfectly legal. The premise was that all the powder was burned up and the pressure dropped before reaching the end of the barrel. The picture showed a barrel that could knock down birds without firing the gun.
    The reason they are not legal is because the liberals think more about a criminals rights then they do about the victims. Americans have no rights until they commit a crime.
    If you are rich then you can have some rights after you pay.
    If they hung the criminals from every lamp post, then we would not need such stupid laws and one billion lawyers.
    Sounds very much like Australia .If they hung the crims here there would be no politicians Suppressors are totally outlawed here .You can apply for a permit to buy one but very rarely get approval .

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Nevermind
    The book I know of "Silencers ,Snipers and Assassins , J.David Truby
    ISBN 0-87364-012-8 .Paladin Press
    Reasonably informative ,lots of drawings ,of different types of designs .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast