Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7MM and deer

Banned

i have noticed no problems with 2400 in various positions.
    however the consistency from shot to shot is off a bit.
    the primer will make a difference in many cases, a filler could make the difference between good and close.

Boolit Master

I recycled my old bull yesterday, he was starting to get an attude. Lyman 287-641 20.5 IMR 4227, 7x57 95 Mauser 25 yards, through the skull, cut the jugular, appx 12 inches in the neck. 90% of the boolit intact still going stright.

My only experience with this load, gonna be a pile of grass fed burger.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    HI,
    All my work is with the 7MM/06, great success w/ J-bullets (145Gr.) on deer.
    Shoot about 1,000 rounds of 168grgc Lyman low vel. cast ( about 1,600'/s) every summer, this load will penetrate a 18-20" Douglas fir at 25'. Do you need more penatration than that for deer??????????????
    Also used to shoot a 1,000 rounds of mid vel. load of IMR 4198 every summer ( about 1800'/s) until I ran out of that powder.
    So now shoot about a 1000 rounds of same boolit w/ WC/860.
    BULLET PLACEMENT RULES.
    Last edited by BOOM BOOM; 03-25-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    I recycled my old bull yesterday, he was starting to get an atitude. , gonna be a pile of grass fed burger.
    About as freakin' empirical as it get's. Yessir.

Personally, I will be switching from the lovely 7TCU, to the 7BR when packing a pistola when in TN this fall.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Boom Boom,

Glad to see you saw the thread also. I refer to your original thread quite frequently. good info in it from lots of folks.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    Wish I had a crony so I could give exact velocities.
    Can only give reloading manuals listed vel. for the loads.
    The WC 860 LOAD IS AT LEAST 2,000'/S, IT FEELS LIKE A FULL HOUSE J-BULLET LOAD. Covered that research in the DARK TERRITORIES thread. No Book to refer to.
    One could hollow point, or flat point my cast bullet for a bigger wound channel.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Cannot speak for the 7 MM mag but the 7x57 has been thumping corn crunchers up in Michigan for many years. Lyman 287308 pushed anywhere from 1650 up to 2200 fps and cast from 50/50 (up to 1850) through WW just does a great job. A 7x57 (FN) was the first rifle I bought down in Tennessee (76-82). So I cannot imagine a 7mm mag pushing a simlar weight boolit not being as good today.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I have done some work with the 7MM MAG.
    Squib loads only 12,-1600'/s. posted in other threads, discontinued it as felt it was not really suited to cast.
    The other 7MM's are better, I feel.

Have a single cavity 287308 hollow pointed by Erik at HollowPointMold.
    Hope to use it on larger game soon in a 7-08.

Boolit Master
    I'm in the GB for the 7mm hunter and getting anxious to try it. I got a 7mm-08 Handi that I hope it works well in. I also shoot a 280 Rem on a custom 98 Mauser using 140gr Bal tip Jwords, any thing that gets hit inside of 400 yards drops like a rock. My preferred antelope blaster Usual shots are 200 or less on goats. My best kill with the 280 was a 567 yard (laser range finder) one shot kill on prairie dog with a medium cross wind.

Boolit Mold

chroney

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM BOOM View Post
    HI,
    Wish I had a crony so I could give exact velocities.
    Can only give reloading manuals listed vel. for the loads.
    The WC 860 LOAD IS AT LEAST 2,000'/S, IT FEELS LIKE A FULL HOUSE J-BULLET LOAD. Covered that research in the DARK TERRITORIES thread. No Book to refer to.
    One could hollow point, or flat point my cast bullet for a bigger wound channel.
    Midway has chronographs on sale for $74.99 right now.

Boolit Master
    I loaded up 20 cast for the 7mm-08 this morning for its first attempt with lead boolits.
    Hopefully get to the range Friday.
    19 grains 5744, no filler, RCBS 160 grain silhouette cast w/Lyman #2 -should be about 1650 or so

Boolit Master
    there are different lots of the 860 powder, but I was not getting anywhere near what I thought I was with a case full in a 300 win mag and I believe 165 grain jacketed. barrel would heat up in just a few shots, to too hot to touch. walk right up the target, too. a duplex load might have helped but I have always been leery of trying it. I get good results with 852. I would think it would be a better cast powder than the 860.

Vendor Sponsor
    Killed a mule deer doe with my XTR 94AE in 7-30 Waters and a 130gr lfn made by Veral before his stay with the feds. The charge was 39 gr of VV160 for about 2250 fps and 2 moa. I had crossed a fence at the edge of an alfafa field and walked right into the middle of about 15 does bedded down. It was a bit of a rodeo at first but when I connected with her lungs she went down in short order. It has a meplat quite a bit smaller than the 7mm hunter group buy and still did the job just fine.

I have a letter that Veral sent with the mould that says "I killed a nice bull elk with a 130 7mm started at 2450 fps. It broke the shoulder and spine at neck shoulder junction and exited the point of the off shoulder". Good enough for Veral, good enough for me.

Boolit Master
    HI.
    What cartridge did Veral load that in. A 130 gr. seems a bit light for elk to me.

Vendor Sponsor
    He didn't say in the letter, it reads just like I quoted it. If I had to guess I would say a 7X57. When you live and grow up in elk country you see them taken with all manner of cartridges. John Barsness a well known gun writer mentions many times in his articles of the number of elk that his grandmother bagged with a 257 bob.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    The 7MM MAUSER is 1 of those magic cartridges that preform better than you would expect. I know of several people who have taken Elk, Red deer & other large critters with it.
    Of course the classic example is William Bell taking elephant with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Have never taken deer with a cast load in 7x57, however would not hesitate to do so. I limit myself to 100 yds or under with cast regardless of cal. That said, have taken a number of animals with 7x57, at ranges from 65 yds to 437 yds with jacketed. Includes deer, warthog, zebra, spring buck, gemsbuck, etc. It is my go to rifle (Ruger 77). I am partial to 140-160 gr cast, and 175 gr. jacketed. There is, I agree, almost something magic about the ctg. Has been around for many years, and I believe has killed everything from dump rats to elephants. Not a lot of ctgs can make that claim. Like any ctg or load, shot placement is however the keiy to reality.

1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Mold
    So far I gave pushed this original RCBS 28-168-FN to right at 2000 fps with acceptable hunting accuracy out of my sportered M95 Chilean. The unfortunate thing is the mould has not been available for many years and I've not seen another for sale
    Dang I had one of those molds and sold it a few months ago because I didn't have anything to shoot it in. Had I known it was that rare I would've hung on to it.