WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powders for the 357 Mag

H110/296 for heavy loads
    2400 for mid range
    Unique for plinkers
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    If I recall,Wasn't there a notice about using Blue Dot and I believe a 125gr J-word bullet ,that it would generate excessive pressures and was not recommended to use that load?
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master

You are correct. Here is the warning: http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting...y_notices.aspx

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    I've burned a lot of Blue Dot in .357 Mag cast bullet loads.
    I read somewhere on the internet (so it has to be true) that Blue Dot is temperatue sensative. Can anyone corroborate?
    I have loaded Blue Dot in .357, .44 & .40, and have fired it in temps. from about +30 F to around +105 F and have not seen any pressures signs at either temperature. All the ammo fired at either extreme was loaded at the same time. (I don't shoot much if the temp is lower or higher than that!)
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

Excerpt from Post #38 by 9.3X62AL
    "Bullseye's chemical constituents cause it to bond to the powder measure hopper's plastic sidewall. BE is the only powder I've seen that does this, and it only began 5-6 years ago".

I had the same thing happen with Unique about 10 years ago in my RCBS powder measure.

I only use 2 bullets and 3 different powders for my wifes Colt Trooper MKIII, the 148gr WC is seated flush and gets the same charge of bullseye as my 38, the Lee 158gr RNFP gets a charge of red dot for a 357 special load and the same bullet gets 2400 for the magnums. My wife is happy with the results so I see no reason to change.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fecmech, good to know I'm not the only wingnut with this powder hopper anomaly. I generally empty out the hoppers when I stop reloading, and the BE Reaction started cropping up soon after Alliant started reformulating their powders in the post-Hercules era. It only took about an hour for this phenomenon to show itself once it began occurring. I thought it had to do with reformulation; apparently it isn't related.

The temperature sensitivity of Blue Dot that I'm aware of was reported by the late Bob Milek in Guns & Ammo magazine sometime in 1975, soon after the powder was introduced. Mr. Milek cited instances of weird pressure spikes in the 357 Magnum/Colt Python when firing loads of BD in weather of -30* to -35* F. Living in California, there aren't many areas here with conditions of that sort--so it didn't affect my use of the fuel.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

30 below sounds kind of chilly. I think I'd find something else besides shootin' to do at that temperature, thank you.

Boolit Grand Master
    30 below sounds kind of chilly. I think I'd find something else besides shootin' to do at that temperature, thank you.
    Reasonable outlook. If I plan a hunt or a fishing trip, I generally go regardless of weather unless things get dangerous. "Uncomfortable" I can deal with, and will--but lightning bolts or full-on blizzards are another matter entirely.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

On Heaven's Range

What wusses!!!

I clearly recall firing a pistol silhouette match at the 1988 Arctic Winter Games in Fairbanks AK.... at 32 degrees BELOW ZERO.

That was cold enough to seriously affect the performance of the rimfires that we used, and I kept the rounds in my jacket pocket with a handwarmer.

Back to topic, it was Blue Dot's alleged cold sensitivity that limited my use of the stuff. Even here in northern Nevada, it's not that unusual to see zero degrees or even colder. Since Murphy is alive and well, I rarely use it for anything. There are plenty of other powders on the market.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master
    For me, nothing slower than 2400. Unique or AA #5 on the fast side.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

My favorites are 2400 and H110 but, I've shot and loaded a lot of Herco in .357 Mag. Herco's not in my opinion a great powder in this caliber but, it'll work. I've just got a lot of it and use it.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

At 30 below the only shooting I will be doing is shooting the bull around the fireplace or pot belly stove!
    I will never have to worry about the temperature sensitivities of Blue Dot, because I am much more temp sensitive that it is!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't mind the cold, if game is afoot. Where I live now, and in the area surrounding it, 0* F is about as low as it goes. On the Kern Plateau where I do a lot of my deer hunting I'm sure it gets colder than that--but not at times of year I'm out and about hunting or enjoying the area. The bugbear I deal with most often and year-round is WIND. Group-shooting in 25-30 MPH conditions is difficult, and I savor the infrequent times of calm conditions to get my sights set. Once settings are established, practice in the winds is most informative--but a good base line needs to be set to do the best work afield.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The 357 Magnum round was designed around 2400 back in the mid-30s. That is all I have used since 1959 in this round.
    From lower powered to higher powered loads, wouldn't 2400 be the most universal powder for the 357 magnum?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    From lower powered to higher powered loads, wouldn't 2400 be the most universal powder for the 357 magnum?
    That is possible. In the magnum revolvers I use 2400 for heavier loads/pressures--Herco or Unique for the middleweights--and WW-231 or Trail Boss for the light loads. I would give Alliant Unique the prize for "most universal" in the magnum revolver calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    That is possible. In the magnum revolvers I use 2400 for heavier loads/pressures--Herco or Unique for the middleweights--and WW-231 or Trail Boss for the light loads. I would give Alliant Unique the prize for "most universal" in the magnum revolver calibers.
    My older Lyman reloading manual shows a 357 magnum load using 150gr Keith boolit and about 9.5gr of 2400, travels roughly 950 fps. Just for the heck of it I may compair against Unigue for accuracy and velocity spread.

Boolit Master

Just for the heck of it I may compair against Unigue for accuracy and velocity spread.
    I have in the past done just that with the 358429 in the .38 spl, loading 10.0/2400 and 5.0/Unique. About 50 fps faster for the 2400 @10.0 grs and Unique was slightly more accurate. I see no advantage using twice as much powder to do the same thing. Also if using a DA revolver make sure barrel is pointed straight up when ejecting shells from a 2400 load. There is so much unburned powder from the 2400 that it will get under your extractor star and tie up the gun if you eject barrel down.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I have in the past done just that with the 358429 in the .38 spl, loading 10.0/2400 and 5.0/Unique. About 50 fps faster for the 2400 @10.0 grs and Unique was slightly more accurate. I see no advantage using twice as much powder to do the same thing. Also if using a DA revolver make sure barrel is pointed straight up when ejecting shells from a 2400 load. There is so much unburned powder from the 2400 that it will get under your extractor star and tie up the gun if you eject barrel down.
    I think i will save my 2400 for higher velocity magnum loads.

BTW I have been testing the bulkier n32c Cowboy powder against Bullseye. It only requires 6gr to reach 1000fps and lower velocity spreads. Accuarcy is verygood with both.

I briefly tried n32c against Unique on paper. Both shot well....hard to tell difference. Unique is cheaper in price

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Its hard to beat good 'ol 2400. I've used it with 158 gr. cast with loads from 9.0 gr.-15.5gr. It burns a little dirty sometimes but, its good stuff.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast