WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powders for the 357 Mag

Boolit Master
    Unique and 2400 will do everything you could wish, and Unique is the more versatile, IMO.

Banned

+1 ^ Completely agree.

Boolit Bub
    Herco and 2400 work best for cast in my rugers

Boolit Master
    I rely on either 2400 or Unique for all my handgun needs. I load 9mm, 38/357, 44spl/44Mag and 45LC. No need for anything else. IMO.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    No need for anything else. IMO.

Winelover
    I could say the same for what I use, W296/H110 and W231/HP-38. Powder development has come a long way since 2400 and Unique were introduced. There are many ways to get the same results. I prefer to use more modern powders. The two I listed are the only powders I use across all pistol caliber cartridges.

Boolit Buddy

2400 and 296. The low end of the 296 velocity window can be duplicated with 2400 with less pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Unique and 2400 will do everything you could wish, and Unique is the more versatile, IMO.
    I would also like to add Bullseye.

I have LOTS of various brands of powder for pistol. I wish i had invested in Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 powders only...live and learn.

Boolit Grand Master
    H-110 has been my go to powder for full loads in .357's since at least 1980. Meters well, and has been more accurate than 2400 in my guns. My Rossi Carbine simply dotes on the following load: I use 15.7 grains with WW mag primers and either 358-156 or RCBS 38-162 SWC gas checked boolits. I have not been able to develop plain base loads that shoot well at magnum velocities in the .357 without leading, though there are many here who report doing so. Curiously, the 44 magnum seems to have no such problem.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    2400 is also my favorite with cast bullets,in fact it is my favorite in the .41 and .44 too.I have had some great accuracy in the .41 mag with Vit N110 but it is very hard to come by,and I have a limited supply with no real prospect of getting any more any time soon.I am going to work with the Vit N110 some in .357 as I expect the accuracy to be good.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I mostly use Blue Dot for 158Gr LSWC loads in my .357s. I have tried a couple of other powders for cast lead loads in .357Mag, but always seem to gravitate back to Blue Dot.
    I get consistent throws from my Little Dandy measure, no leading and good accuracy out of half a dozen different .357s. My son and I go through thousands of .357 rounds each year using Blue Dot with complete satisfaction. I also load several thousand per year for a good friend as well.

For jacketed loads, I use W296 and Hornady HP/XTPs in 125, 158 and 180gr weights.

I tried AA #7 for a first time, using a powder coated 158gr the other day. A mild 357 load and very accurate! Shooting a 6" Colt Trooper MK III, at 15 yards, 3 out of six shots were touching. That was standing but shooting single action. I had been having leading with this bullet and the powder coating fixed that. Apparently didn't hurt the accuracy.

Boolit Man
    I've had some success using True Blue from western /accurate in warmer 38+P and 357 loads. I've not used jacketed with the load, but the intitials with a 158 LSWC have been promising. Based on my experience from me last jug of AA7, I would be comfortable with either in any kind of 357 application. AA7 was great in a DE 357 and 44. I don't think you'd be stuck with either powder because of the flexibility. Plus, getting stuck with a $25/LB powder is not really stuck is it?

Boolit Buddy
    I got the best velocities with Lil Gun but 296 works well also.
    siamese4570

Moderator Emeritus

I have had good shooting loads with Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, Herco, 2400, 296/H110 and AA9/WC820.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Empty -

Howdy !

My favorite load is: 14.5gr WW296 ( H-110 same stuff ) and SP Mag primer, under any Lyman SWC of 158 - 172gr.
    These don't have to be GC boolits.

Second favorite load is: 7.0gr IMR 4756 and SP primer, under the same boolits as above.

With regards,
    357Mag
    This load is a tad sooty, but is accurate & comparatively economical.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
    If i were going to limit myself to two powders in the 357mag they would be H110 (or W296) and Blue Dot. H110/W296 will handle the the high velocity stuff and Blue Dot the medium to higher velocity range. I dont really have a use for the really slow loads or i would pick a powder like W231 or AA#2 for them...
    Magnum Mike…

Now then, would that be in a Freedom Arms 357 Magnum or just a plain ‘ol inexpensive Ruger?...

Seems to me that mattered some years ago on Specialty Pistols with the Freedom Arms’ aficionados—and probably still does today…

BCB

GO BUCS...
    Last edited by BCB; 09-18-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Boolit Master

I have had great success with 2400, A#9, and Blue Dot.

2400 was my go-to powder for years, but a couple of years ago I started shooting Blue Dot because of the reduced flash.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Grand Master
    In the time that has elapsed since my earlier answers in this thread, Alliant 2400 has more thoroughly come to dominate my high-pressure 357 Magnum loading--and WW296/H110 has largely fallen by the wayside. Reasoning here is that 2400 is A LOT more useful in other venues than is 296/110.

Herco has also supplanted Unique as a fuel for the 900-1100 FPS plain-base revolver loadings, due largely to its GREAT utility as a field load shotshell fuel in the gauges I refill.

WW-231 gets the call for a lot of my standard-velocity handgun loads because it is more flexible than Bullseye, and Bullseye's chemical constituents cause it to bond to the powder measure hopper's plastic sidewall. BE is the only powder I've seen that does this, and it only began 5-6 years ago. BE still does good work for me (I have about 1# sitting in the cabinet), but it sits because other powders don't react with the hopper sidewall. The BE might become garden fertilizer sooner rather than later.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I've burned a lot of Blue Dot in .357 Mag cast bullet loads.
    I read somewhere on the internet (so it has to be true) that Blue Dot is temperatue sensative. Can anyone corroborate?

Boolit Master

BE is the only powder I've seen that does this, and it only began 5-6 years ago.
    Al, Be has been doing that for 40 years that I know of. The bottom inch of my Auto Champ hopper got soft enough for me to squeeze it! (I confess to leaving powder in my hoppers all the time). I cut off the offending portion and now when loading BE I make sure the powder level is below the plastic when I quit for the day.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast