Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powders for the 357 Mag

Boolit Bub

Powders for the 357 Mag

Which powders do you use for the 357. I will be shooting both cast and jacketed bullets.I was hoping that you guys could help me narrow down the selection to maybe 2 or the most 3. Hate to be buying powder that I might not use.

Wink

If i were going to limit myself to two powders in the 357mag they would be H110 (or W296) and Blue Dot. H110/W296 will handle the the high velocity stuff and Blue Dot the medium to higher velocity range. I dont really have a use for the really slow loads or i would pick a powder like W231 or AA#2 for them...
    mike

NRA Life Member

Specialty Pistols Bulletin Board - http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve

Boolit Master

emptyhead,

The 357 Magnum was the 1st cartridge I reloaded 35 years ago. I have used every (that might be stretching it a bit!) powder known! Seriously, I have found that the slow burners are the best, at least in my applications. My favorites are 2400, SR-4759, WC-820 (AA#9 burn rate), AA#9, AL-8 (Blue Dot burn rate), H-110, and sometimes WC-680. I have tried many of the fast burners and really didn’t get the overall accuracy brought about by the previously mentioned powders, although I do use one fast burner that has given fairly good accuracy with cast bullets—Scot 453. Slow burners are my choice. Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys for the info.

Boolit Master

I have had great luck with AA #9 and Vit 110

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

357 cast & jacketed

HI,
    I have hade very good results w/ 2400 in both a ruger & a S&W for my hunting full power loads.
    For practice I have had good luck W/ unique, green dot, 700x, & pb.

Boolit Master

357 loads

for top loads i like lil gun, 296, h110 but for loads at a little less velocity use surplus ww 820 the slow lot you will be pleasently surprised at the groups and the savings on the price of the powder the last time i bought it it was $7.50 a pound and i have a pile tucked away and i have used at least 30 lb of this powder allready and it shoots well in a every straight walled pistol round ive used it in you mut use mag pistol primers or rifle primers . 22 hornet, 32/20, 38 super, 357 mag , 44mag, 454 casull with excellent results. good luck bob!

Boolit Mold

Cool VihtaVuori

I've use the VihtaVuori 3N37 for middle power loads & N110 for the big stuff.
    These both burn very clean and the 3N37 is very low temperature and easy on the gun. See http://www.vihtavuori.fi/ for more info.
    Ol' M&P

Boolit Grand Master
    For full-house Magnum level loads, WW-296 for jacketed and Alliant 2400 for cast get my vote. WC-820 isn't bad, either.

For mid-range loads, WW-231 and Unique do most of my work these days. Most pistol powders will do fine work in this caliber up to 1000 FPS. For these mid-range loads, it is difficult to select a "bad" powder. In terms of fuels, the 357 Magnum is one of the user-friendliest for the handloader.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I've used mostly 2400 with the Remington bulk packed 140 JHP and the 358156 in cast. I've tried to develope a load with the 358156 and 296 but can't seem to get the velocity I want with the recommended max charges. Loaded 15.5 gr. of 296 this AM with the 358156 but this load barely breaks 1200 fps. in my 6" barrel 27-2. What charge of 296 are you loading in your topend loads?

Talking powder for 357

I have used 2400 and H-110 over 35 years and now use nothing but N-110. Clean burning and top vel and accuracy.

Banner Sponsor

Blue Dot works great in the 357. It will give higher velocities than 296 with less recoil and less muzzle blast/flash also. 296 does do a good job, but in my experience BlueDot does it better. For low velocity loads, 700x is hard to beat in everything.
    IF you like to shoot ALOT, then definatly get a jug or 2 of WC820. It shoots great in most things and is half the price.

Boolit Grand Master
    TX Bird Man--

WW-296 is only used with jacketed bullets in my magnums--2400 ignites more easily and burns more completely and consisently for me with castings. WW-296 benefits from the increased friction of the red-coated critters, as well as good bullet PULL from tight case mouth and a healthy crimp. I suspect that WW-296 might work better with 180 grainers than with the 155 grain Thompson SWC-GC.......12.0 grains of WW-296 prompts the Lyman 195 grain #358430 to almost 1200 FPS from my Bisley Blackhawk x 7.5", very accurate and small SD's.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 08-01-2005 at 12:13 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Deputy Al. I guess I need to reserve that 296 for the j-word bullets. It all makes sense now. From using it in the 44's I knew that a heavy bullet; heavy crimp; and magnum primer was needed to get good performance.

Boolit Grand Master
    In another thread concerning use of WW-296 and H-110 in the 38 Special, I discussed how these powders were originated for the 30 U.S. Carbine, and that the 30 Carbine operating environment ran at 30K PSI+, peak was 40K. In the Magnum revolvers using 296/H-110, I seems like EVERY element needs to be used to get the pressure curve running inside that 30K PSI envelope. Once accomplished, these powders can produce SUPERB accuracy and very consistent high velocities. As long as the pressure curve gets met--the loading density is at least 90%--and the powder IS NOT compressed, the fuels will do fine work.

Using some rated-"R" amounts of WW-296, I have sent forth 158 JHP's from my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk at well past 1500 FPS from its 7.5" barrel. Same story with 2400 and Lyman #358156--well past 1500 FPS. This latter load likely gets close to the Douglas Wesson loads from 1935, but has NO PLACE in K-frame S&W's......or even L-frames. As pricey and scarce as N-frame 357's are getting, I'd not use them in those platforms, either. That is why I have Ruger Blackhawks--for stunt work like this. Even with the pressures running high enough to produce these velocities, many of the cases either fell free from the cylinder when the muzzle was turned vertical--or a light tap with the extractor rod sent them out.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 08-01-2005 at 12:28 PM.

The 357 Magnum round was designed around 2400 back in the mid-30s. That is all I have used since 1959 in this round.

Quote Originally Posted by emptyhead
    Which powders do you use for the 357. I will be shooting both cast and jacketed bullets.I was hoping that you guys could help me narrow down the selection to maybe 2 or the most 3. Hate to be buying powder that I might not use.
    I use the same thing I use in everything else. Bullseye, 231 or Unique, and 2400. H-110 will work with the heavy bullets.

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation

Emptyhead: I used to use Unique, but it is not consistant in the progressive loader that I now use. I now use IMR-4227 with Lyman #358156 bullet. Excellent accuracy in my Marlin Model 94 Cowboy.

The best handgun accuracy I ever had was with W296 in a S&W 686x8 3/8 behind a 110gr. Sierra HP. Tried H110, AA9, 2400, Unique, BD, 4227 and others and only the H110 came close to W296. I just recently tried Lil Gun and it shows promise, but the jury's still out.

Jerry

Boolit Man
    Lately I had switched over to Lilgun from the ususal H110/296 for full tilt loads. But I started using some AA#4100 (little slower than #9) and am getting velocity and accuracy. This powder may be about like the WCC820 I keep hearing about but the four pound jug says Solo #4100 (ball powder). Anyway, it's a little slower than the #9 that I've always liked to use for middle of the road loads. My old gun is getting a little too much cylinder gap but 15.8grns #4100 beat out 18.0grns Lilgun by about 9fps and 16.7grns H110 by 127fps shooting the RCBS-158gc that weighs about 162grns lubed and gc'ed. Hope my pressure wasn't too high but all cases just fell out of the cylinder. The H110 was the last few crumbs in that can though. Used Fed. 200 primers with all loads.

Bill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast