Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationPBcastcoRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: reducing fom 454 to 452

Boolit Mold

Question reducing fom 454 to 452

any problems reducing them on a lyman or rcbs. looking to buy a sizer and looking at my options i am 29 years old and will be my first and only sizer at the moment. What do yall recomend i need to get started. I bought a mihec mold in 454 in the hopes i can size it down to 452 who knows one day i might get a 454 casull. I have been looking at all three i really like the star and they can be upgraded easily with the air feed and so on so i might just get a star and spend the extra money now rather than later. Any tips on this machine i need to know and i will only be sizing one bullet type at the moment 45 long colt revolver and what lube is recomended for pistol bullets been looking at carnuba and bac from white label but any tips would be great?

Thanks
    Charles2506

The Star is a great machine. You can size down very easily .002" with any of the machines. I have had a Lymann 4500 sizer and did not care for it. Had to handle the bullet too much in my opinion. With the star, you drop the bullet in nose first and pull the handle, repeat untill you are finished with all you bullets. The sized and lubed bullets fall out the bottom into a catch bin. Carnaube and BAC are both fine for pistol bullets. I have used both. Get the solid sticks. The Lymann 4500 used hollow sticks.

Lathesmith makes great dies for the star and they are less expensive. Get a punch at the same time. you wil really need a heater, so if you only have enough money left for one accessory, get the heater

Just tested this out today with my Ruger Blackhawk and a RCBS 255 SWC. Boolits dropped @.455" and I thought there would be a problem sizing them to .452" but it went very well. I sized some to .452" and some to .454" with the same powder charge and looking at the target you couldn't tell the difference. Both shot great, now I need to cast more so I can enjoy shooting this gun.

Longone

Banned

Star's fine if you can afford it. If you want to spend less, look for a used Lyman 45 or 450, or get a brand new one for about $150 plus about $25 for a sizer die. Use BAC or 50/50 for your pistols, it doesn't need a heater above 70 degrees and will do you fine. Carnauba Red is overkill in those low-pressure calibers and not necessarily the best choice. Others like it in their pistols, but not me unless I'm shooting full-tilt .40 or .357 Magnum. Even the .44 Magnum does great with Felix lube or BAC.

Unless you shoot more than two boxes a week or have problems with your hand/wrists/shoulders, I see no need to get a Star. But if you really need it, a Star is the best.

Gear

Boolit Mold
    just ordered a star they said it would be about 3 weeks for it.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Charles,

Having owned and been less than satisfied with a Lyman 450, I sold it and got an RCBS Lube A Matic. When I looked at how many boolits I lubed at one time, I decided to get a Star when one became available with an air cylinder attached.

Lots of options with the Stars relative to lube heaters and air feed. Lots of posts on this forum on how to inexpensively add a heater and air feed on this forum.

I'm not sure if I had it to do over, if I'd order used. I'd probably get a new one and not regret it.

While you're waiting for your lube sizer, contact lathesmith and get some dies and punches on order as well. If you do it right, both should come in at the same time.

I think I'd grab a Lyman heater and go to home depot to get a dimmer switch setup (look on the forum for pics) as well and have that waiting when the Star lube sizer arrived.

I have used Carnauba Red from Lars and been real happy with it in pistol, but I think it may be overkill for the application. BAC probably only requires mild heat and should be ideal for your application. That and plain ole NRA 50/50. Here's Lars website in case you don't have a book mark saved.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Boolit Mold
    yeah thanks gonna contact lathesmith this week and get the dies i need and order my lube from lars. gonna get the air feed next probly build it myself or get the one from powell3040

Boolit Master

Charles, good decision! Just received a new Star and had Lathesmith make some dies for it. There is a short learning curve, but It can't be beat. I still use my push through and Lyman 4500 for some odds and ends, but, for the most part, I use the Star....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Mold
    just ordered my dies from lathesmith and also ordered 14 sticks of bac from lars. will i need to put the heat to this lube or will it flow easy his site said it didnt need a heater. I live in texas so so shouldnt be to cool for it to flow.

Boolit Grand Master
    BAC flows fine at temperatures above around 60 degrees. You shouldn't need a heater in Texas.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I found a little heat is needed for use in my basement here in central Washington. We have cool winters and summers that periodically exceed 100 degrees in temperature. Although I have never done this, sizing bullets in summer outside temperatures may be too hot which may allow the lube to flow to freely. I keep the house near 70 degrees. I use a Lyman heater with a dimmer switch.

Boolit Grand Master
    An update on this old thread.....

I'm in the process of sizing some .457" boolits down to .452", and I'm using my Star to do it. Although it does take some effort, I just completed 225 or them. The alloy is ACWW plus 4% tin.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore