Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Trigger work on Marlin Bolt rifles

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Trigger work on Marlin Bolt rifles

Have any of you worked on the trigger for your Marlin model 880 or similar rifle ? I had the rifle apart yet again after range time the other day and looked at it real well . I even took out the trigger pivot screw and removed the trigger from position . I Looked the part over real well for burrs and very lightly removed those along the side of the trigger and it's holder . After lubing and putting it all together again it still works and doesn't "feel" any different .

What I do see in this particular trigger is that it has a lot of engagement so when one is sighting on a target it seems like the sear takes forever to release . I'm thinking if I can find extremely thin shim stock I could stop some of the engagement and not change the factory setting to much .

A long time ago I was able to clean up the trigger on a Marlin model 25M but that trigger seemed a little more simple than this one . Maybe it just age creeping up on me though and it's the same thing . Anyway , your input on this would be a great help so thanks in advance .

Jack

Boolit Master
    Well, Jack, it seems like our threads are orphaned, so it's time to just take it apart and see what makes it tick. Worst case scenario i take a basket case to the gunsmith and he has to fiind new trigger assembly.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

That's pretty much how I dive into my gunwork . . Once I get to the point I'm reasonabley sure I can get it back together and be functional , I'll carefully take it apart . I already deburred and relubed my trigger and I think it helped a little . It still has a lot of engagement I think shims might help correct . When I get the time , I'll pull it apart again and see if there might be another way to skin this critter .

The fellas here did come up with usefull ideas about glass bedding in this rifle so I won't count them out just yet . The rifle now shoots groups ALMOST as good as yours , now if I could just fix that trigger ....................

Jack

Boolit Master

Replace spring or buy new trigger

You can put a lighter spring in or I bought an after market trigger for my I think 990? (17 HRH) Check Mid South or Midway I think it was a Ballist trigger? 8 oz pull

I have Rifle Basix in a few Marlins, the pre 900 series firing systems. They are nice, and give nice control and feel. I find that they can be a bit touchy when adjusting for the trigger pull, it has a direct effect on the bolt removal feature of squeezing the trigger to the bottom to get the bolt out.
    Only advice I have is price, they arent cheap for what they are, and I have one model 25 I paid more for the trigger than I did the rifle....

Pete

Boolit Man
    I have a 880sq, and 917V. Both of these I put Rifle Basix triggers in them. These made a word of difference. My 25N I was able to clean it up good enough I didn't need to spend the extra cash.

I thought about just buying an aftermarket trigger but the price of them scared me off for now . I did a little net snooping and some guys say to replace the trigger spring with the srping from a ink pen .

So with a handful of the wifes pens that she has collected from everywhere I went to the dungeon to perform a little surgery . Upon gutting the secong pen the spring was the right length to do the job . In this case the right length meant being a bit longer than the stock spring . I was able to get it to compress and get the trigger screw returned to where it belonged . I got out the RCBS trigger pull gauge and the pull was at or near three and a half pounds .

On the range it was much better behaved though it still had a lot of takeup before the sear releases . Maybe I can get a feeler gauge in there and see if a shim glued in might work .

Of course there's always an aftermarket trigger if I'd rather spend the money .

Jack

Boolit Master
    I changed mine out to a pen spring to lighten it up and very carefully stoned it to reduce sear engagement. It's less than 2 lbs. now, crisp as broken glass. Perfect for all of my needs and I don't let people borrow my rifles.
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    RifleBasix on a 925. Works and works well and is not difficult to install and adjust

Ask me how I know that
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Boolit Master

Check at the Rimfire Central forum there are threads that are stickies that tell how to do it. I have two Marlin 80s I did it to and both my triggers are in the 2 pound range.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=197546
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy

Not sure how i missed this thread. I have a 917vs, love the rifle, hated the trigger. starlings @ 75yrds are not very forgiving. I did a little file work in just the right spot, 2lbs now no creep. Love it, just took a little and tried it, took a couple times as I didnt want to take to much. Just sayin, it worked for me and is safe and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Cast Bullets View Post
    RifleBasix on a 925. Works and works well and is not difficult to install and adjust

Ask me how I know that
    OK ..... tell me how you know

I think Brownells has both the basics and the Jard trigger .

Jack

Boolit Master

The Marlin triggers are pretty easy to work on I would go that route before spending money on a replacement trigger. Unless the new ones are vastly different from the old ones.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.