RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: #2 mix

Boolit Mold

#2 mix

I have magnum shot what would be a good mix with pure lead to get the hardness of #2 cant find info for a good starting point

actually no , the lead shot will do two things however - it does add a small percentage of antimony ( this varies between shot sizes and makers btw ) and more importantly it adds arsenic , arsenic will allow you to either heat treat or water quench your castings making them seem harder than what they really are , i use a bit of #2 and if i make it according to lyman's directions the lino/lead combo comes out the hardest ( vs. the ww/solder combo ) adding a bit of tin to just the shot alone would get you closer to #2 but still not quite there , #2 is 5/5/90 = tin/antimony/lead , shot as stated before varies but usually has no to very little tin and between 2-6% antimony , 50/50 lead/lino does make what is called hardball alloy ( 2/6/92 ) which is almost the same hardness as #2 and if arsenic is in the mix will water quench even harder , i usually use lead shot just to add the arsenic
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    From what I have seen Magnum shot has the following:
    Magnum Shot (6 or 9) = 4% antimony, 1.25% arsenic
    Magnum Shot (7 - 8.5) = 6% antimony, 1.25% arsenic

Lyman #2 has 5% tin, 5% antimony.
    So, you just need to add some tin to get the magnum shot close to Lyman #2.
    1 lb tin + 19 lbs of Magnum Shot = alloy with 5% tin, 5.7% antimony, 1.2% arsenic
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Banned

just add 5 lbs of tin per 100 lbs of shot.
    you'll be close enough that you, your gun, and most hardness testers won't know the difference.