Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W .460 magnum

Boolit Grand Master

S&W .460 magnum

I'm interested in this caliber. Anybody here own one or fired one enough to speak with experience about it?

I, too am interested. I bought one with the 8 3/8" barrel, and have yet to fire it.
    Kurt H.
    I'm out of my mind, be back in a minute...

Boolit Grand Master

GSPKurt;
    Since I notice that you live in Florida, I want to warn you that the recoil on the S&W .460 is FIERCE. Florida is a narrow state, so you want be sure you are pointed either north or south before you touch it off. We wouldn't you to end up in the water, now would we?

Just a bit of a joke, son...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I'm sure Dale IS yankin' your chain a bit. I shot one at our club a while back, but only with factory loads. A ton of muzzle blast, probably due to the brake, but pretty mild recoil. It's not a 357, but it's no 500 mag either. I shot a few of our popper targets double action trying to show off to the guys, (luckily I hit both). This is supposed to be a pretty versatile cartridge. The guns are a bit big for me, but thas my opinion. I bet it's pretty accurate.

My shootin' buddy has one. I've probably shot a couple hundred rounds through it myself though. The factory Hornady's pack quite a whollup. I have a custom 405gr flatnose gas checked mold that I use. Best load we've found for it. I can cast you some boolits if want to give em a shot . Recoil on them isn't bad and they group good on a pie plate at 150+yds with open sights freehand.

Calhunter

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I just received a new 460 barrel yesterday. Encore barrel of course, and its made by OTT.

1/2 rnd-1/2 oct with an internal shark gill brake. I didn't have the scope base I thought I did so it will wait for that at least....that and my back/neck is killin' me.

I sent the blank in to him and he draw filed the flats on the barrel and EDM machined the brake and chamber, welded the lug,ect,,D&T'ed,,,ect,ect.

16" overall so its carbine legal length. Oh,,and I got new walnut furniture for it too from OTTER woodcrafts.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

I have the 460 XVR Hunter with the 14" barrel .
    I really enjoy this revolver .
    I got it mainly for long range for open tundra for Caribou .
    Glad I picked it up what a tack driver.

RR

PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!!
    HOME OF THE 500 MAGNUM TYRANNOSAURUS THUMPER'S.........

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Boolit Grand Master
    I was drawn to this caliber for it's versatility. It'll eat .45 Colts, .454 Casulls and the .460 mags. Immediately, I can't think of another caliber that'll chamber 3 different cartridges, but then, I'm still half asleep, too. With the wide variety of .45 caliber factory bullets on the market and the variety of CBs that can be cast and loaded, I'm thinkin' very seriously about makin' this my next firearm. It just occured to me that a lot of .457 and .458 CBs can be push-through down sized as well. Me thinks I might have to get one o' these puppies!

I have the PC 460 with the 10.5" barrel. i have found the recoil to be on par with a 4" 44mag. For my purpose (taking meat for the table) it is perfect!

Boolit Bub
    Hey I fired one two weekend ago the kick was stought but not unreasonable I fired it two handed and one handed. I loved the gun it was just a little expencive to feed. Regards Dave T.

Boolit Master
    Ranger Rick, what's them boolets that you have in the picture?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

Yeah, I have to ask too. I would not hunt with that boolit unless dead soft and even then I would worry.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry about resurrecting a three-year-old thread. I couldn't resist. I have grown VERY fond of my .460V. To answer Tom and 44Man's question - those are .300 gr. truncated cone boolits. RR sent a few to me to try out, along with a couple other designs. They are designed for long range shooting, and work well for that purpose. Out of my 5" barrel, with a mid-level load of H110 (still a couple grains below max) I was hitting point of aim at 100 yards.

I can't say enough good about the 460. I too bought it with power and versatility in mind, but have since used .460 brass exclusively. I discovered trailboss powder, and with it I can load my own .300 gr. FNGC boolits from a lee mold to 45 colt level pressures. The recoil with these is not much more than a .22 rimfire. It also has the ability to toss 535 gr. chunks of lead down range (these are also courtesy of RR). Push them to around 1200 fps. or a little more and you have a combination that will stop anything in Alaska, anyway.

I have about 400 rounds through my .460 so far and it by far my favorite of all handguns I've ever owned.

Boolit Master

Hey AKsoldier, good to see you over here also. I joined a year ago myself. Still haven't gotten my 460 as I'm still at Salerno (took a ground assualt Saturday, with one sapper inside the wire). Did finally get my new Smith 442 Pro when home on leave. There's a fourth cartridge you guys can load in your 460s for a powder puff load and thats the .45 Smith and Wesson Scholfield.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Hey AKsoldier, good to see you over here also. I joined a year ago myself. Still haven't gotten my 460 as I'm still at Salerno (took a ground assualt Saturday, with one sapper inside the wire). Did finally get my new Smith 442 Pro when home on leave. There's a fourth cartridge you guys can load in your 460s for a powder puff load and thats the .45 Smith and Wesson Scholfield.
    Keep your head down over there CD! I heard about that. You're gonna love the 460 when you get it. I've heard of guys shooting .45 ACP out of them too with a kit for using moon clips.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up .460-xvr-mag

i have both the 460 and 500 i have only shot factory ammo so far, i have some cast boolits from ranger rick and now have my own molds. recoil! is stout with both but the 460 was better, you can get winchester reduced recoil loads and there is a big difference in recoil making it fun to shoot, i use r.r. loads in both 460 and 500 for some fun shooting, when i want to get serious i go to max loads, which increases felt recoil a bit but still managable. when loading hornady boolits for r.r. loads i use 2400, when i want max i use lil gun or h110 or win.296. both guns have 8 3/8 barrels. the 460 is a versatile gun because of the different boolits and loads you can use. 45lc is a dream to target shoot and you can load the velocity's you want. it's a great gun no matter what you put through it.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Buddy
    I also have the .460 and 500.

500 I got few moulds and waiting for some Mihas group buys but .460 I'm noob.

Where can I get the 535gr mould for .460 also what about other wheights 300 - 400gr

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    I have the 460 XVR Hunter with the 14" barrel .
    I really enjoy this revolver .
    I got it mainly for long range for open tundra for Caribou .
    Glad I picked it up what a tack driver.

RR

Jeez! That's not a handgun, that's a crew-served weapon!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Multiple loadings in cartrige revolvers goes way way back...
    One of the first was the 44 Russian taking the 44 American And the 45 Colt could be loaded with the 45 S&W.
    The 454 casull can be loaded with 45 Colt and 45 S&W
    Most of the Supermags will chamber numerous rounds..
    The 357Max will also load the 357mag and 38 special and the shorter 38īs.
    The 414 SM will chamber the 41 mag and 41 Specials
    The 445 SM will take the 44 mag 44 Special and the 44 Russiam & American .
    About the only lonely Supermag is the 375.. but I have no desire to be loading short cartriges in a revolver designed to smash things.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

.460-xvr-mag

not sure but i think that's Ranger Rick's concealed carry weapon.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast