Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 Sig Die Suggestions

Boolit Man

.357 Sig Die Suggestions

Getting into .357 Sig and wonder if those with experience with this caliber can offer suggestions for a good die set. I'd spend the obscene amount for Dillon carbide dies but have read they're incapable of proper neck sizing. Anyone with .357 sig experience have a suggestion for a good die set that gets the job done right?? Thank you.

Banned
    I use RCBS and have for 12 years. Some had reported problems with them initially; but, I never did. It is a two die set and I recommend using a 9mm expander for cast boolits.
    Last edited by Bwana; 03-18-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: sp

I use a combination of the Dillon carbide set and a Redding set. My advice is to save your money and don't buy the Dillon set, it's just not worth the extra money for the carbide. If I was buying just one set of dies to load 357 Sig, it would be the Redding die set. The RCBS dies are good too, but for this application, I give the edge to Redding.

Hope this helps.

Fred

A carbide 40 s&w lee die can size the case and a lee 357 sig set to size the neck and do the rest. Not too bad on a budget. IMHO!

Don't overlook the red!

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the input. I sized a few with my Hornady 40 S&W sizing/decapping die and the cases looked good. Good advice and I'll save my money and forego the Dillon dies this time. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    Good info!

I usually go Dillon myself, and was about to get some 357 Sig dies. I think I will go Redding as well.

Thanks!

If this is your first bottleneck pistol cartridge be careful! Improperly crimped bullets can lead to bullet setback in the mag. Not a good idea with a higher pressure rating then the 40 s&w and a neck like Fred Flintstone!
    Last edited by Big brass ones; 03-18-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big brass ones View Post
    If this is your first bottleneck pistol cartridge be careful! Improperly crimped bullets can lead to bullet setback in the mag. No a good idea with a higher pressure rating then the 40 s&w and a neck like Fred Flintstone!

To avoid setback with the 357 Sig make sure the bullet is supported by the powder column as advocated by Pete. Here is everything you need to know about loading the 357 SIG:

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/w...57.com/#Safety

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big brass ones View Post
    If this is your first bottleneck pistol cartridge be careful! Improperly crimped bullets can lead to bullet setback in the mag. Not a good idea with a higher pressure rating then the 40 s&w and a neck like Fred Flintstone!
    And why would I have improperly crimped bullets?

I'm not being defensive, I am always open to learning new things. However, I do have considerable experience loading pistol cartiidges including 44-40 within the last 10 yrs.

I also hand check crimps by aggressively pushing the nose of the bullet against the workbench.

Boolit Master
    I had to buy a second set (Lee) because my first set (RCBS) left the case with too short of a neck to give decent bullet grip. I ground the base down on the RCBS sizer so it would push the shoulder back a bit, but finally just decided to get Lee anyway when I bought a turret press so I could have a powder drop expander die.

That sizer die is the only RCBS product (other than their original progressive conversion unit I tried in the 80's) that I wasn't 100% happy with.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Man
    Some excellent info found in Pete's handguninfo. Thanks Bwana!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    To avoid setback with the 357 Sig make sure the bullet is supported by the powder column as advocated by Pete. Here is everything you need to know about loading the 357 SIG:

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/w...57.com/#Safety

Boolit Man

Loading 357 Sig Without Using Case Lube

I read post in MidwayUSA about a guy who used a carbide 40 SW sizing die to size the 357 sig before using the steel 357 sig sizer.

He mentioned that he did NOT use any case lube.

Have you guys tried this and does it work?

Any downsides?

Thanks for any reply...

Boolit Master
    I use a carbide 40 SW sizing die to size the 357 sig before using the steel 357 sig sizer and no case lube.
    I use a heavy crimp on the jword bullets.
    I have not had any downside with this set up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RGMJ View Post
    I read post in MidwayUSA about a guy who used a carbide 40 SW sizing die to size the 357 sig before using the steel 357 sig sizer.

Any downsides?

Thanks for any reply...
    I have used a 10mm die to size the body but I don't remember if I lubed before doing the necks or not. Either way I think you would need clean cases. I get a bit sloppy with cleaning when I know I'm going to be sizing pistol brass with carbide, but that might be a problem for steel dies.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    And why would I have improperly crimped bullets?
    357 Sig magnifies issues with neck tension, bullet shape and crimp more than just about any other cartridge out there. If you're going to have problems with a bottleneck cartridge it would definitely be the most likely candidate.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RGMJ View Post

Any downsides?

Thanks for any reply...
    I do this for .400 corbon which is a 45 acp necked down to 10mm. I run them through a 45acp carbide sizer then the 400 steel sizer (in a progressive), works great, no lube needed. Should work the same for 357 sig.

Boolit Master

I did have problems with neck tension and bullet set back until I purchased a Lee Factory Crimp die. It made the difference for me.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lbaize3 View Post
    I did have problems with neck tension and bullet set back until I purchased a Lee Factory Crimp die. It made the difference for me.
    I also have one and found that it opened the the groups with jacketed bullet rounds and shrunk the cast boolit rounds. Don't ask me why, I don't know and don't care. I would also say that it is best to take the die apart periodically and check for wear on the collet and to lube the assembly. You can smooth any burrs or wear marks with wet/dry paper.

Boolit Master
    How tapered is the 9mm case? Could you set up a partially unscrewed carbide 9mm die at the top of the stroke and size the neck using it? That way you would be using two carbide dies and not have to worry about either lube or scratches.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    357 Sig magnifies issues with neck tension, bullet shape and crimp more than just about any other cartridge out there. If you're going to have problems with a bottleneck cartridge it would definitely be the most likely candidate.
    Thanks for answering my question. I'll be be careful and steadfast.