Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Powders for 32/40

Boolit Bub

Powders for 32/40

I am just starting to work with a Falling Block Works Model J action with an unknown barrel that measures 316/324 with a 1:10 twist.

There is a thread going now in the Single Shot Rifle section on the 32/40 caliber, but it leaves me wondering. Several members here and on the linked ASSRA site suggest their pet loads with 4227. Do they mean Hodgdon's H4227, which I guess is discontinued, or IMR 4227? Do they interchange?

I currently have a Lee 175gr GC mold and have a 200gr ordered from Accurate Molds. Wow, he is putting three different cavities in the same mold block. I am impressed.

All I know so far is that Unique does not work for the 175gr boolit in this rifle. I plan to try enough FFFg and FFg to get the boolit out to the lands, but smokeless powder and load suggestions would be appreciated.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, Sometimes I just sits

To begin with, if your talking newly made 4227, IMR4227 is no longer sold!!! What comes in that can that says IMR4227 is actually H4227 made in AU, check the label. IMR is only made in Canada.

Second, only use that 8mm mold with a gas check for best accuracy. I've found that I can get sub 3/4" @ 100 groups with anything from 13 - 16 gr of 4227 but, that is breech seated. The 32/40 doen't have a very good neck or throat for fixed ammo and you'll do very well to get 2" at 100 fixed.

Frank

Boolit Master
    I don't know much about the 32-40 but I do have a 8 mm Mauser and a 30-30. Both are pretty accurate with 17 grs of 2400 for a velocity of around 1700 fps. I have the lee 324-175 and the Lyman 311-041 at 177 grs in my alloy. Both of these guns are very accurate at 50 yds with about 7/10 grs unique for around 1000/1200 fps. Just guessing here because my crony was in the shop and since I got it back I haven't shot any more of these loads.
    If you haven't tried 2400 and don't have any/ don't want to buy any till you try some I can give you some. I live in Ash Grove but work in Springfield most of the time. Was at Academy this afternoon.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Bub
    Wolfer,

thanks for the offer.

I can't find 2400 data for the 32/40. Without a starting point, things could go south.

I think I will be better off staying with published data or the experience of guys here actually using various powders.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, Sometimes I just sits

Boolit Master
    There is an article floating around the web by Ed Harris with 16 grs 2400 as a universal load with some restrictions of course. If you can't find it I can email it to you or you can check with Mr. Harris himself. He's often over at cast bullets association forum
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    I used to shoot 4759 in my 32-40 Was mild and gave good results. The toolman

Boolit Mold
    I have a Winchester 1894, 32-40 that had the barrel relined last year, I had the twist rate cut at 1-12" so as to stabilze most boolit weights encountered. I found the best powder for my Saeco 200 grain boolits is either IMR-4227, 13-14 grains or H110, 12-13 grains, velocities run between 1300-1400 fps with both powders in the above load ranges. These loads were recommended to me by my barrel maker who does a bunch of Schuezten match shooting nationally, these loads are very accurate in his rifle and mine and pleasant to shoot. Have fun with your .32-40 !!
    Last edited by Win71; 02-01-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling

I shoot a 165 FNPB Rapine over 10 to 12 grains of 2400 in my old Ballard and a Winchester High Wall and get terrific results. Not very fast, but very accurate ...!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Mold
    I have a Ruger #1 in 32-40 and shoot 180 gr Bear creek Bullets with 12 grains of Accurate No.9. At 100 yds. it shoots an inch or under, with light recoil.