Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hard cast bullets for 308 win

Hi-techammo.com has .308 M80 (147gr fmjbt) pull-downs for $120 per thousand. I've bought several thousand from him and have been very happy

Boolit Mold
    hiim new here and my spelling realy does need help but anyway hello
    i thaught i would reply to your question on cast boolets
    ok so first things first my advise to you is use a gas check and just a tiny amount of lube
    like liquid alox cold
    cast / quench/dry/then pre heet your oven to 450 put cast boolets on a flat pan put them in oven for about 30 min then drop into cold water
    once you have done that then fit gas check on and recize through sizing die then tumble lube with liquid alox
    [ tiny amount only then let sit and dry overnight now store for 30 days or so
    you should be ending up with a Bh. of around 18 this will be ok without leading for speeds up to around 2400 fps. but if you want my opinion stay around the 2000 mark better accuracy and cheeper
    a good powder for that would be imr 4064/imr 3031/ for the 308 i find a powder with a burn rate of around
    anywere between 90 to about say 72 dont go hotter than that
    however if you realy want to just have a good plinker round you could use reddot 13 gn. but you should use a 1" tish pc. as a wad to hold back the powder as it will not fill the case and you want to avoid a hang fire
    ok so anyway hope this helps . by the way thats with 185gn crn. nice load good for a 100 yard plink
    as for the other powders i sugested start with 20,gn. of 4064 work your way up
    as for 3031 start load at say 18gn. work your way up find that sweet spot
    as always its a great idea to get a book.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by raven.warsong View Post
    Im a little new to all this and im not trying to blow my self up. with the only load data I have at the moment it looks like it would be 2400 or a little slower. I guess I will just stick with jacketed bullets or not shoot it
    Baloney. Tell SWMBO that you WILL cast, but do it outside where the aroma isn't so intimidating. And school her on the problems that exist with boolit casting, and how we cope with those problems. Several previous posts give explanations.
    Re a load for the 308. Start with 15 grs of 2400 and move up to 17 grs by .3 gr increments, loading 5 of each. Shoot them @ 25 yds, and see where Professor Gun tells you it likes it best. Load up 20 at that loading, and advance to 100 yds. It was either Whelen or Hatch who suggested 16 grs 2400 for all 30 caliber rounds similar to the -06, and the 308 falls fairly into that group. One hundred thirty to 180 gr boolits, sized .001/.002 over groove diameter, and have at it. I size mine to .310.
    And post your location. If a forum member lives nearby, they will undoubtedly offer to give on-site tutoring.
    Last edited by Echo; 11-10-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12