Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Bullseye in 44 Special?

Boolit Master

Using Bullseye in 44 Special?

Hi All.

I'm reloading some 44 Specials for my daughter. She has a Rossi 720 revolver in 44 Special with a 2" (or maybe 2.5") barrel. I've been looking at various loads for it using the H&G #503 boolit (the MP clone), and it seems like Bullseye isn't shown much with that boolit in the 44 Special. I did find a max load of 4.9gr of BE in an old Ideal Handbook #40, and as that's a MAX load I will be starting at 4.4gr (roughly 10% less).

Am I correct that for a revolver with such a short barrel that BE would be a good powder to use? My thinking is that rather than having the powder still burning as it's coming out of the barrel, or shooting out a bunch of unburned powder doesn't really do anything for the round, other than make a big display. Would I be better off using Unique? I've seen loads listed for Blue Dot, and 2400, both powders that I have, but I was thinking that with such a short barrel that using them wouldn't be the best choice.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Alliant's latest online data shows this:
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...32&bulletid=46

Not your boolit obviously, but it's in the ballpark as far as cast boolits are concerned.

Generally, the slower powders need a longer runway to reach their full potential, and given the short barrel you're dealing with I too would opt for the faster powders. In your case, I'd start with Unique, but that's a personal choice.

Boolit Master

Thanks for that link! As I said before I was going to start with 4.4gr, but I'm loading them with 4.5gr of BE as that's what my powder measure (a Lyman Accumeasure) throws. I don't think the extra .1gr will make a difference. I always load as close as I can get to the load I want, and it's usually not a problem as I rarely load max loads.
    - MikeS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Thanks for that link! As I said before I was going to start with 4.4gr, but I'm loading them with 4.5gr of BE as that's what my powder measure (a Lyman Accumeasure) throws. I don't think the extra .1gr will make a difference. I always load as close as I can get to the load I want, and it's usually not a problem as I rarely load max loads.
    When I first got into loading, everything was a max load ... .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum. If it had "Magnum" on the barrel, it had to have magnum level loads. Somewhere I read the phrase "Eargesplittin Loudenboomen", or similar, and that applied in spades to all of my loads. I'm with you now, I shoot and load for pleasure only and that means less than max loads.

But I tell you what, after couple of decades where every trigger pull was a magnum event causes me to just smile and chuckle a bit when I hear certain cartridges referred to as "snappy".

Boolit Master

I know what you mean. I used to have a Desert Eagle in 50AE and I didn't find the recoil from it all that bad, nothing like I'd been told it would be. I had a Smith model 296 in 44 Special that had titanium frame, or maybe it was their scandium alloy, I forget, but it was a very light 44 snub nose, and it had a heavier recoil then the DE did, at least for me it did. I got both the model 296 & the Rossi 720 from my father, both were about the same size, but the Rossi was considerably heavier as it's all stainless steel. When I got them they were both nice and tight, after shooting about 500 rounds thru each, the Rossi loosened up slightly, but the Smith was so loose that I would consider it worn out. Luckily the person I sold it to thought it was just fine! When my daughter moved out of the house, and got her own place I wanted to give her a shotgun to keep there for self protection, but she prefers the Rossi, so I gave it to her. When I gave it to her I hadn't measured the throats, and I loaded up some cartridges with the Mihec H&G 503 clone that I sized to .429, and they leaded the barrel to the point that after shooting 50 rounds there was lead stings hanging in the bore! Soon after I got a set of gauges, and found that the throats in the gun were .432! I measured the boolits, and as cast they were .432 as well, so I got a .4315 sizing die from Lathesmith, more to use simply to lube the boolits than to actually size, and that's where I'm at right now. I'm loading up 50 rounds sized .4315 and I'll see if they do better than the .429 sized ones did!
    - MikeS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ku4hx View Post
    Somewhere I read the phrase "Eargesplittin Loudenboomen", or similar, .
    Steppenwolf album? 1969~1970? (Sorry, I'm just a bit of an audiofile.)
    My apologies about the hijack. Back on topic.....
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I use Bullseye in my .44 Special and it works great. Now sit back and wait for the howls about Bullseyes magically causing double (or triple or quadruple) charges!

Mike, you must have somehow missed the 947 earlier posts in which that "powder burning out the end of the barrel" myth has been busted. It doesn't. Most fast to medium handgun powders have stopped burning by the time the bullet clears the case mouth.

I have no idea what the weight of the bullet you quote is, but 4.5 Bullseye will be just fine up to a 250-gr cast. Lots of people use 5.0 even though it's a squidge above max in current books.

Boolit Master

Got both a Rossi 720 and a 296 (see my avatar). The 720 has throats that run from .432 to almost .435! I like the gun, but I haven't been able to get it to perform well with cast. One of these days I'll make a hollow base mold for it. The 296 is snappy with full house .44 Special loads , especially with heavier bullets. Can't imagine what a 329 would be like.

I like both guns, but they are different than a full 6 shot steel frame gun.

Use BE and 231 in .44 Special loads with no problems, other powders work fine also. I do not use a progressive and I'm very careful not to double charge a case.

Boolit Bub
    Bullseye is probably the best all around pistol powder out there, IMO.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RevGeo View Post
    +1, followed closely by Unique and then 2400.....

MikeS

Back to the topic though; Bulleye will be an excellent powder for use in the .44 Special, particularly for my daughter. She has a Rossi 720 revolver in 44 Special with a 2" (or maybe 2.5") barrel. Bullseye will give excellent ballistics equal to any other powder in that short barreled revovler at standard .44 SPL psi. It will also have a lot less muzzle flash and blast than all of the slower burning powders. Blue Dot and 2400 will not work nearly as well, particularly at standard .44 SPL psi's and muzzle flash will be very bright with both out of that short barrel.

I have shot lots of .44 SPL loads and pressure tested a lot of them with various weights of cast bullets in the .44 SPL. What is the weight of your cast bullets?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RevGeo View Post
    DITTO.

I have been using is since 1956 and I have never found anything that does a better job for light loads in ANY handgun.

And despite what "everyone knows..." I do not find it to be a "dirty" powder. I find that ALL powders are dirty, and Bullseye - in my loads - is no more or less dirty than anything else.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

While there's nothing whatever wrong with those 75 to 100 year-old powders, it would be the height of arrogance to suggest that there haven't been equally good or better choices developed since then. We have learned SOME things since 1897...

I wrote a piece last year for Handloader called ".44 Special - a New Diet" in which I used more than a dozen powders introduced in the past few decades. All of them worked superbly, and one or two are my new favorites. (The piece hasn't been published yet, but I have hopes for the summer issue...)

I'll still have Bullseye, Unique and 2400 on my shelf, but I suspect that they won't get much use in handgun loading.

Boolit Master

over the last 40 years, ive used alot of BE and for the last 10 years Tightgroup for loads from 750 to 1,100 fps with cast bullets in just about every popular handgun chambering with excellent to good accuracy from 32 acp, to 454 casull

Most of my 44 Special loads are for a Charter Arms Bulldog that my daughter likes to shoot.

I have had good luck with 4 grains of Bullseye or 5 grains of Winchester 231 with 180, 200 and 218 grain cast bullets.

Boolit Master

Rocky: yes, I must have missed those few messages! And I'm just getting used to the powders not filling the room with smoke, and you say the new powders I'm now used to using are old fashioned? geez, when is this going to end!
    Professor: I guess I got lucky that the 720 only has .432 throats!
    Larry: I forget their exact weight, somewhere around 250gr, they're the H&G 503 as made by Mihec.
    Chuck: a double load? Don't you only do that when you want more power?
    - MikeS

Trust me Mike, a half-century or so can sure sneak up on ya! I'd calculate how fast, but I can't find my slide rule.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    Trust me Mike, a half-century or so can sure sneak up on ya! I'd calculate how fast, but I can't find my slide rule.
    Hey Rocky, I'll send you my spare. I bought 2 of them in an attempt to double my grade in Calculus. Didn't work then, probably wont now either.

I'm loading for a Charter too, and use 6.5 Unique for the 220 grain 429 215 and 7 HS-6 (a gift from a "friend") for the 250 grain 429 421.

I tried slightly heavier loads, but settled on these as being easy on both me and the 19 oz empty Charter.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master

While there's nothing whatever wrong with those 75 to 100 year-old powders, it would be the height of arrogance to suggest that there haven't been equally good or better choices developed since then. We have learned SOME things since 1897...
    Bullseye was reformulated a few years back to be cleaner. Personally I never had a problem with it before (or after). It meters well and is hugely versatile.

Like the original poster, I was looking for something to use in a 357 snubby that generated less muzzle flash and bang but still developed magnum performance. Surprisingly I found it in Bullseye. Lots of people warned that it's not a magnum powder, not suitable, double charges, bullseye surprise, etc, etc. Of course the pinnacle of magnum performance can be found in slower powders, but I was just going for "standard" 357 magnum loads.

I found it reduced muzzle flash, was reasonably pleasant to shoot (as much as is possible for a 357 snubby), velocities were solid magnum territory, all with listed loads. In all, I found my magnum practice load with Bullseye.

I'd say it is a very ideal powder for 44 Special. Give it a try.

HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Mike, you must have somehow missed the 947 earlier posts in which that "powder burning out the end of the barrel" myth has been busted. It doesn't. Most fast to medium handgun powders have stopped burning by the time the bullet clears the case mouth.
    You're right, even if fast powders are more "efficient", slower powders are usually higher performance in short barrels. Like drag racing, inefficiency is tolerated for the sake of higher velocity.

BTW powders do burn out of the end of the barrel, that's why the military adds flash suppresant chemicals to their loads. However none of that powder would have helped much, if it wasn't already burned.

Besides burn, another issue is muzzle pressure. While not much can be done about the cylinder gap, different speed powders present different pressures at the muzzle, and that can make faster powders more pleasant to shoot in short barrels.

Each gun/bullet/powder combination is different in this regard, and so is user perceptions about what recoil profile and muzzle blast (sound pressure) is tolerable. The only thing I can say is avoid H110 and try different powders, and see what you like the most.

HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast