RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Ron Long .40-65 Chambers

Boolit Buddy

Ron Long .40-65 Chambers

Is the Ron Long .40-65 chambers just a slightly lengthened chamber to accomodate resized .45-70 brass?

I saw a Rolling Block so chambered and was trying to figure out the difference between the standard chambering and the Ron Long.

Thank You.

Boolit Buddy
    When Ron designed that chamber you could buy 45/70 brass that was actually 2.1 plus long and when you formed 40/65 brass from it , it would lenghthen to way over 2.1 .Rather than trim the cases he made the chamber longer . Now you cant buy 45/70 cases that long .In my case i use a machine to stretch the 45/70 cases when new and then form them to 40/65 and trim to 2.163. Arnie

Boolit Buddy

Thank You for the info.

Another question, how much increase is there in case capacity? In my standard chambered .40-65 Highwall and Starline brass, I can get 60 grains of GOEX Cartridge into fire formed brass. Using the Lyman Snover bullet my MV is 1220 fps and if I do things right can get 1 1/2 MOA out of it.

I ask because I might buy that Rolling Block and am trying to figure out what advantages there might be to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    When Ron designed that chamber you could buy 45/70 brass that was actually 2.1 plus long and when you formed 40/65 brass from it , it would lenghthen to way over 2.1 .Rather than trim the cases he made the chamber longer . Now you cant buy 45/70 cases that long .In my case i use a machine to stretch the 45/70 cases when new and then form them to 40/65 and trim to 2.163. Arnie

Boolit Master
    You will get a chamber that needs aprox 2.130-2.140 long brass. No advantage to R Long chamber except he did not want to trim brass. I get good results with 20/1 snover sized .410 and 58grs swiss 1 1/2 in rp brass trim to 2.130 but I have a long tight chamber.

Boolit Buddy

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    You will get a chamber that needs aprox 2.130-2.140 long brass. No advantage to R Long chamber except he did not want to trim brass. I get good results with 20/1 snover sized .410 and 58grs swiss 1 1/2 in rp brass trim to 2.130 but I have a long tight chamber.