Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 45 Colt Cowboy loads for my Uberti??

45 Colt Cowboy loads for my Uberti??

Hello all,

I'd like some input from those of you who shoot 45 Colt

I am using CLAYS and I have both 200 and 250 grain lead bullets

Currently I have used 4.5 grains of CLAYS with both bullets which is a fairly mild load, but shoots left in both cases.

At one point, I had a load with the same powder that brought my shots more towards point of aim.....but I did not make a note of it in my log book.

Would like to hear from those using CLAYS on their loads.

Tom

Banned

5 grs

If Clays is the only powder you have, I suggest 5.8 grains with the 200gn bullet and 5.0 grains with the 250gn bullet.

The Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Manual suggest the following:

200gn Bullet - Clays - 5.6gn Min and 6.3gn Max which are listed respectively at 837fps and 985fps

258gn Bullet - Clays - 4.7gn Min and 5.3gn Max which are listed respectively at 762fps and 857fps
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Boolit Grand Master

If you are talking cowboy action loads for SASS competition then you'll want the 200 gr bullets (some are even using the Lee 160 gr bullets) at as low a velocity as you can get any consistency and meet the SASS minimum. You'll want that 200 gr bullet down in the 580 - 650 fps range to be competitive. Generally that means the fast burners like Bullseye, WST and N320 in the 45 Colt. Most SAA will hit about 5 - 8" low at 25 yards and 4 -6" left with such loads. Most often that doesn't matter because given the size of the steel plates at 10 yards and less (SASS rules) those loads will hit steel with a center hold all day long. However, I still prefer an actually zeroed SAA myself.

I've been doing a lot of R&D for Powder River Cartridge Company (site sponser) and have been testing just such loads. Sorry i can't get more detailed at this time because of company propriety information. However, what I've told you is common knowledge for SASS shooters.

My own non competition 200 gr loads for my 2 Uberti SAA's , M73 and Rossi M92 are what I've zeroed them for. They run 920 & 935 fps out of the SAA's and 1125 fps (20" M73) and 1190 fps out of the 24" M92. The typical CBA load then hits very close to POA at 25 yards.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.