WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee and Hornady

Boolit Buddy

Lee and Hornady

I was looking at some loading press kits and found a Lee Breech Lock kit for $135 and a Hornady Lock N Load Classic Deluxe Kit for $413. Both kits come with the same items the LNL has a few more. Can you give me your review on these two loaders and can I reload 300 Wheatherby mag with any of these loaders

Boolit Master

Response

Sir,

I will send a PM to you with my phone number, I am over in Quantico and can talk to the answers you want in more detail // Skip

Short answer: Both will reload the caliber you ask about. What you get for your money is a different story. I don't recommend any kit. Buy the press you can afford and then add a top grade scale to your bench and the other gear like funnels, etc are whatever you want to spend for an item. I don't think you will get much more paying twice for a Lyman funnel vs. a Lee funnel. I do know you get more buying a RCBS or Wilson chamfer/debur tool than a Lee model. Ease of use is worth the few bucks more.

If you call me, we can go into detail. Lee Presses and dies will serve you well but scales are not their strong point !

Boolit Buddy
    I thought I'd really like the 'quick-release bushings' the Hornady Classic press uses... but after using it now for just under a year, they're annoying to get the dies set up. After setup, I guess it's okay, unless you're using the same dies for different boolits that need separate adjustments. The bushings just get in the way when setting up dies.

If I were to buy again, I'd go with the RockChucker Kit for about $320 or so. It comes with the scale you'd likely buy separately which is a plus. -Brad

The Hornady LnL is in a different class than the Lee Breechlock Challenger. The one you want to compare with is the Lee Breechlock Classic Cast Press. Personally, if I were to get one of these, I would get the older Classic Cast presses so that I could choose whether to put in a 1-1/4" die, a breechlock adapter or even a Hornady LnL adapter into it.

While the LnL SS, Classic Cast, and RCBS RockChucker are great, heavy duty presses, they are overkill. An Aluminum Breechlock Challenger press is plenty sturdy to do almost any reloading for the average shooter. Some folks like overkill and are happy to pay the extra for it. More power to them. OTOH, while the very affordable Lee "C" press may be adequate, I think it is probably just barely that and would not want to make it my only press unless the only alternative is not reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    Its all sbout what you want to spend if your just starting out I would recommed the LEE. It gets you going and will do everything you need to start. Then you can upgrade one piece at a time. I started with the Lee Anniversary kit which is the same as the Breechlock. Through the years I have bought all different colors except blue presses. I dont see much of a difference in the presses or dies. Of course I am not shooting 1000yd competition! I upgraded everything from the Lee kit except the funnel but I still use the Lee tools sometimes over 10yrs later. LEE is a cheap starting point and there is nothing wrong with it although others turn thier noses at LEE products I cannot argue with the truth LEE is a great buy for the money. Richard Lee says in his books " if he cannot manufacture something cheaper and better than the rest he doesnt make it" Truth be told the only thing I see any cheapo issues with is the chamfer tool but it works!!!!!! I have never had a gun I couldnt get shooting sub MOA with just the LEE reloading tools. Im sure the RCBS DILLION AND HORNADY all have their advantages but LEEs advantage is start up cost

Boolit Mold
    Buy a Lee Cast Classic! I have an OLD RCBS Rock Chucker (US made) but bought a Lee because I found a deal on "factory seconds" ... cosmetics ... It's a MONSTER press and built like a TANK! (I like the bored-through ram because of spent primer disposal. I inserted a section of large soda straw at the top since I do not press prime).

I have an old Lee Challenger (20-25 years old?) that I started with but now only use for all my bullet seating/crimping operations. (Just too good to get rid of).

I'm not hot on their scale or powder dispenser (I use a PACT setup with a pair of scales). If you're not going into hard core target shooting, when I started out I used the Lee dippers that came with their dies ... worked fine.

Anyway, spend your money carefully because once you start down this road ... I found it was alot like when I owned a sailboat ... it was a hole into which I'd throw my credit card every month ... GOD, I LOVE RELOADING!!!

Boolit Master

Ditto on the bushings being a pain:

Here are my thoughts on the LNL Press:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/reviews...ding-press.htm

If the Obamination gets thrown out, and if it looks like we will not be raided, and our guns confiscated, I will be replacing it with either RCBS or more likely Redding but not until after the election.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    I really like the Lee 50th kit, Lee Classic Cast, and Lee Classic turret kit. I do quite a bit of loading with their various rifle and pistol dies, and prefer the Lee trimmer system for %99 of my rifle trimming. I'd like to see them offer the Classic Cast single stage in a kit with a nicer scale and powder measure, although they do work.

The 50th Kit is a really good value for a new loader at $109 or so, even if you upgrade tools later. I also cast my own boolits and buckshot with Lee melters and molds. I own presses and tools from other companies too, but always find a use for the Lee stuff in the process.

Check out FS Reloading in WI for cheaper prices on Lee gear.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never owned a Lee Press, I use a LNL Progressive, and Like it very much...the bushings don't bother me, except having to buy more for each new caliber...but, once you have them, It's quick and easy,,,also Many calibers need a different shell plate to operate on this press...I figure somewhere in the neighborhood of 100.00....for each new caliber to get started...shell plate, dies, bullets, powder...
    I think it is a Great Press for what I reload!
    Terry

Oh...Sorry, I thought we were talking about progressives..
    Last edited by shovel80; 03-17-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added dialogue

Boolit Master
    Lee classic cast turrent is where I would start, Their other great press is the classic cast single stage, I like mine with the quick change breech locks. I have a challanger that is used for my primer swage tool. The lee reloader press would make a nice power measure holder for someone else powder measure. Or a good tool for sizing boolits with the lee push thru. Everyone should have one of their hand presses also.

Having a lee loadmaster, I can honestly say get someone else progresive when you want to move up to a progressive.

I have a lee turret and a rockchucker which I converted to use the hornady quick change bushings (highly recommended). between the two I can do almost any job. I really like lee's auto indexing turret press, but wish i had bought the cast version instead. I stay clear of progressive in any color.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    At one time I have both the Hornady press and lee Classic Cat set up with in a foot of each other, Both were set up with 50BMG dies. I know they aren't 300 win mags but still big.

Any way for a year I used both, the Lee to size and the hornady to seat. The LEE is still in my shop being used, The hornady found a new home at my neighbors. I was thrilled when he offered to take it for what I paid including the Hornady 50BMG dies that I had stopped using because they were way out of spec in the neck area. they sized the necks .028 below needed to hold a bullet (.480 ). then the expander them to .508. This was with neck turned brass. neck wall was cut to .019.

The Hornady has less mechanical advantage in it's linkage than the LEE, measure the lenght of stroke verses the distance the arm travels, simple math.

I still have a 1.5 inch CH .510 sizing die. that I need to part with. The LEE press is 1.25" with the 7/8x14 bushing removed.

Go with the Lee, spent the extra money saved on more powder, bullets and primers.

Ken

The Lee will get the job done.

In Remembrance

+1 on the Lee. I own the Classic Cast Turret and love it. If my Rockchucker ever wears out, it will be replaced by a Lee. I have the Hornady Lock-n-load bushings on it (Rockchucker)and it makes die swap a breeze.