Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Somebody here has got some splainin' to do !!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters

Somebody here has got some splainin' to do !!

Not that I am gonna point fingers 'cause you probably said it was gonna be addictive . The last time I was inspecting bullets from my LEE six cavity mold that makes those little .314" hundred-twenty grain bullets I saved the rejects .

Recently one o' you guys suggested that a light charge of Bullseye with a bullet similar to this would be fun . So , with that in mind , I lubed the rejects with liquid Alox twice and let them dry for a couple weeks . I have some CCI 350 primers I'll probably never have a use for anything else so I primed a few cases with that . As for powder the idea struck me the bullseye was a pistol charge . Since I have a little bit of Universal Clays I tried four and a half and a five grain charge . Both clear the barrel of the stubby 91/59 easy .

I shot fifteen rounds into two inches at thirty yards with stuff I would have melted back down . This is way to much fun at plinking ranges , I don't know how fast it's going but I think a 32 S&W might be faster Now I have a use for the rejects that don't meet expectation for my 32-20 rifle and I can still use them in the Russian zip gun

Jack

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    Jack,

The last time I loaded rounds like that, (using some primers that I had gotten before the last major price increase), I firgured that I was producing loaded .308 rounds for right at six cents per round. Cheaper than I can buy .22 ammo for now.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    At that range there is not much an ugly boolit can do to get off track.. but the test is farther back...
    Had some undersized 220 RN WD WW that I thought just maybe I could "thump up" to .314 . Did not work. At 25 yards those bent boolits would hit a target. at 50 yards they were all over the 3 foot backboard.
    MIke in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I did get a chance to shoot them at thirty-five yards and the group was a little bigger but still well within fun tolerences . I do have the other half of that bullet casting session that is destined to be loaded in my Browning fifty-three . Currently they have been lubed with JPWand gas checked as I ran them through a .314" LEE sizer . I could lube a few of them and see what happens since I still have several ounces of that powder to use up .

I'd really like to get a powder through expander funnel that will work in my Dillon powder measure . With that I could set up the 550 to run cast loads and spend less time at the loading bench and more at the shooting bench .

Jack

Boolit Bub
    At thirty five yards shooting should be from the hip (instinct shooting - tin cans).

Boolit Grand Master

Recently one o' you guys suggested that a light charge of Bullseye with a bullet similar to this would be fun .

I guess I have to go stand in a corner????

I think I did post a warning as to this being addictive and fun?????

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I used to do a cheap load a lot more than I do now. It's a lot of fun, some times your plinking rounds teach you a lot about loading and shooting.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Recently one o' you guys suggested that a light charge of Bullseye with a bullet similar to this would be fun .

I guess I have to go stand in a corner????

I think I did post a warning as to this being addictive and fun?????

Larry Gibson
    Yes you did Larry , thanks very much for the idea I hope to get more fun out of the old Russian zip gun now

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    I'd really like to get a powder through expander funnel that will work in my Dillon powder measure . With that I could set up the 550 to run cast loads and spend less time at the loading bench and more at the shooting bench .

Jack
    Did you call Dillon to see if they had one that would work?
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=Jack Stanley............ I'd really like to get a powder through expander funnel that will work in my Dillon powder measure . With that I could set up the 550 to run cast loads and spend less time at the loading bench and more at the shooting bench . Jack[/QUOTE]

If you FL or NS at station 1 you might do what I do on the 550B. I put the M -die at station 3, expand the case neck and case mouth on the upstroke and then set the bullet in the case mouth before rotating the star and seating the cast bullet at station 4. Works for me.

Larry Gibson

I resize/deprime/clean/re-prime on a RC IV and a Lee prime all.

So with that you could Expand the case mouth on Station 1 (M style die), Drop Powder at station 2, seat at 3 and crimp on 4.
    Big Bore = 45+