RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to cut open an empty disposable propane tank?

Anyone know how to cut open an empty disposable propane tank?

Anyone here know how to cut open one of those empty blue disposable propane tanks? Those 14.1oz tanks? I have one that I emptied and set a piece of lead on it while there was an object pressing the valve open to empty the vapors out.

There are probably still propane vapors inside, so any spark could ignite them. I'd cut it open under water, though that would be pretty sloppy. At least there wouldn't be any possibility of sparks that way.

I'm sure someone will come along who has cut open a propane bottle and tell you how they did it and kept all their fingers, eyebrows, etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Don't cut it open. Any amount of fumes left in the can will explode if ignited by sparks or intense heat. I have no idea how violent it could explode but it's always better to be safe and have all your eyes and fingers. Just to let you know, the only way to safely cut or weld a container that contains or at any point contained flammable gas is to empty the gas, and fill the container completely with water to displace the fumes. I don't know now you could get water into one of those propane tanks, so I would use something else for what ever your doing.

Be safe,
    .357MAN

Boolit Master

ANY time you work on a container or tank or drum that has had flammable gas or liquids, certain precautions must be taken. I have welded many fuel tanks (gasoline and Diesel)and I used Carbon dioxide pumped in/venting while the work was being performed so there is no oxygen and no chance of explosion. The Tanks had open ventilation for the CO2 , they werent sealed like a propane tank is , especially the small Bottles with 2 valves. Water filled may be fine for sawing it slowly with a Horizontal bandsaw or a Sawzall , but a large pipe cutter would be best IMHO.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

remember, propane is heavier than air, so if the bottle was upright, you still have propane in there, and now, because you had an open valve, you may have AIR in there also.

it would have been better to not vent it, that way you only risk fire, and not an explosion.

Mooseman's idea of a big pipe cutter merits considerable thought.

question: Why are you doing this?

Unscrew the valve out of the cylinder. Fill with water until over flowing.
    This displaces all the gas.( Add some detergent to reduce surface tension.)
    Cut with an angle grinder (cutting disk).
    That's how I hid mine, and nothing went bang.

(my tank was a refillable propane tank)

Boolit Master

Because of the properties of Propane gas a lot of these (I assume your talking about the 1lb camp stove cylinders) are tossed or believed to be empty when they are actually still half full. They do have a pressure release vent valve but still cutting one of these things open could result in severe injury or death for you or one of your family members... If you just absolutely have to cut one in half +1 with the big pipe cutter.

Boolit Master

I f you know a plumber he will have a pipe cutter that will do it easy

I don't know how to cut it open, but may I ask what you plan on using it for? There are probably better alternative out there.

I got an old freon bottle that I had a local shop cut open on a chop saw. That isn't the true name but I can't recall what it was called. It was like an oil cooled horizontal cutting band saw. I would contact some local HVAC shops to see if tthey have any that they would give away.

Take it outside, step back about 20 paces, unholster your gat and place a neat round hole in an area of the tank that you're going to throw away. Now, cut it any way you want to. Don't forget your safety glasses!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Freak View Post
    Take it outside, step back about 20 paces, unholster your gat and place a neat round hole in an area of the tank that you're going to throw away. Now, cut it any way you want to. Don't forget your safety glasses!
    DON'T do that!! Wrong on any number of levels.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Where's your sense of adventure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Alright, make that 22 paces.

Boolit Master
    I just noticed that he is referring to one of those small propane tanks.
    Last edited by bumpo628; 03-16-2012 at 12:20 AM.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

I want to make the propane tank I have into a crucible for the aluminum melting furnace I am planning on building. I had the tank upside down so the gas will sink as I knew propane is more dense than air when I was letting the excess gas escape.

Quote Originally Posted by letsmeltlead2693 View Post
    I want to make the propane tank I have into a crucible for the aluminum melting furnace I am planning on building. I had the tank upside down so the gas will sink as I knew propane is more dense than air when I was letting the excess gas escape.
    A buddy uses them for aluminum crucibles too, they only last a few firings. I just asked how he deals with them.

He taps part of the upper curved part with a hammer to make a small dent then sprays with WD40 and drills a small hole with a drill bit. At that point you can fill with water or do what you please.

Still sounds risky to me... but

If you have access to a vacuum pump and the right connectors, I don't see why it wouldn't work for removing all the vapors inside the tank, just an idea.
    NRA Life Member

Banned

i am a journeyman pipe fitter and i have never seen a pipe cutter that big.
    fill it with water...
    by the way, gas will hydrolize in water, turning water flammable.
    use a portaband.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by letsmeltlead2693 View Post
    Anyone here know how to cut open one of those empty blue disposable propane tanks? Those 14.1oz tanks? I have one that I emptied and set a piece of lead on it while there was an object pressing the valve open to empty the vapors out.
    Are you talking about the cylinders for the hand held propane torches? If you are, either a large pipe cutter or a muffler/tail pipe cutter will work. Those cylinders will not hold much aluminum.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud