RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: brightness!!

brightness!!

well i pulled a very bright thing last nite. decided to do some initial seating for length with my 38-55. so taking a primed sized case i started the boolit into the case and seating it a bit at a time till it allows the cartridge to fully seat in the chamber with just a bit of engraving on the first band.

upon getting this coal,,,i then wondered what the rifling would do to the boolit engraving wise so i "loaded" another cartridge with nothing but the primer ,,,case,,,and boolit. allowing that the primer should at least push the boolit some ways into the barrel... i chambered the round and holding the muzzle over and pointing at a pile of pillows i squeezed the trigger.

SNAP went the hammer and nothing else. so i extracted the cartridge and examined the primer and boolit...nothing but a dimple on the primer...so i loaded another and the same thing happened...nothin!! after 3 more such loadings and failures i put a primed case in the chamber and it went off in fine shape without the boolit installed....loading another with a boolit... it was a dud as well.

after pulling what hair i have i decided to pull a boolit on a failed case....upon pulling the boolit i see that the base of the boolit was black with soot. pulling the rest of the failures i found the same.......long storie short i realized that the primer alone...[cci 200 large rifle]... was enemic in power and would not even budge the boolit out of the case let alone up the barrel.

so...LOL...next ill put a few grains unique down on the primer and try again.

so there is my latest brightness and on thinking about it i decided to share this sordid storie and find out if im alone in my stupids or if others would share theirs as it will make a fun read for a change instead of the springtime jitters that make their way here.............

Boolit Master

I think you have some bad primers. There should have been enough explosive force to force the bullet out , even with a crimp at the case mouth, the Large primer is pretty powerful...
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

In Remembrance
    I fired a 540 grain patched-to-groove bullet with 1.5 grains of Red Dot and a magnum primer in a 45/90 case.
    It only went halfway up the bore.

But, stay out of the way when you open the breech. If you have a good seal in the bore, that case will come out like a scalded dawg.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I think you have some bad primers. There should have been enough explosive force to force the bullet out , even with a crimp at the case mouth, the Large primer is pretty powerful...
    Nope. Ted is right. With these large BPCR rounds, that is all you get with a primer. Ask me how I know.
    A few grains of black will do it. Even fewer grains of fast shotgun powder will too.
    Chill Wills

But, stay out of the way when you open the breech. If you have a good seal in the bore, that case will come out like a scalded dawg.
    I won't go into what happened to me .... Well, OK then, the 'ejecting' case head actually broke the magazine retaining piece. I'm still looking for the case head.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''