Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: reloadable .32 rimfire brass

This gent has it all taped: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793305138 Brass, bullets, rimfire adapters, intelligence.

If that listing is expired, search 299153 or .32 Colt Brass
    Cognitive Dissident

I am resizing my cases with a Lee bullet sizing die. (Suggested by another member on this mile long thread!)Cheap and works great. Been a while since I looked and am at work, so not sure what size I got, I think it's a .311, but can check tonight. What you'll need will depend on the diameter of the bullet shank, and then factor in the case wall thickness. No need to crimp if it's a single shot. Rather than try to flare the case, just chamfer it good.
    Prob wont be able to use the decapping die, as the .22 cal blank wont fit through the shell holder hole. I suppose you could drill it out just for this purpose, but I just use a hammer and punch. Take a block of steel or such and drill a hole just big enough for the head of the blank to fit so you still get some support on the case rim.
    "One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street ... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time."

Boolit Master

Keith - if your RB is a #2, its most likely a .32 Extra Long. I have two #2s, both are XL. The #4s are .32 rimfire. Read back through this thread. I've posted a lot about .32 XL.

Boolit Mold
    Wow! Thanks for the fast replies. I didn't expect them so quick.

The information is great. I hadn't looked at ch4d for dies. Much cheaper than a special order, and not in stock, source I located. I have purchased my bullets and some cases from tenmile on gunbroker. Actually, got both from him today. BTW, I also have cases on order from a seller on GB. That seller doesn't seem to make cases so, I don't think he is as reliable a source, but if you are looking search for .32 Colt or rimfire on GB.

I didn't consider that the blanks wouldn't fit through a shell holder, but was thinking about a hammer and punch. Thanks for pointing that out!
    I had seen the .32 XL info. Actually, hoping it isn't, or will, work with .32 long, just because making the cases up is another complication.
    Again thank you all. I'll post some info when I have something to add.

I had a center fire breech block made for my Stevens Favorite.

That way I can use .32 long Colt cases which I buy from tenmile.

I got a used .32 S&W lee die set at a good price. The resizer doesn't resize but it does de-cap.

The powder through neck flaring die works well. But the flare has to be worked down just a hair.

The crimp die doesn't work except to take out the flare not really a crimp.

I use a bullet resizing die as my crimp die. I would like to get a crimp die from eventually from Old West Bullet mold.

I did get a heeled bullet mold from Old West. Works perfectly.

Its a hoot to shoot.

Boolit Master
    I believe that:
    .32 extra short RF, .32 Short Rf, .32 Long Rf, .32 extra Long RF, .32 Short Colt CF, .32 Long Colt CF and Wildcat .32 Extra Long (Colt) CF Cases all are the same body diameter.
    .32 Auto, .32 S&W Short, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, and .327Federal Magnum all share the same Body diameter and it is LARGER than the .32 Colt series.

Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't feel like re-reading all the posts in this thread yet again tonight, but I know that I have decpaped .32 Colt cases with a .223 die. Today I would probably use the Lee universal decapper, but I didn't have it when I was actively loading .32 Long Colt.

I did buy a Lee .314" bullet sizing die specifically for sizing .32 S&W or H&R mag cases down, but haven't tried it yet. I figured the cases would probably spring back to around .315 or so and still fit my chamber.

Incidentally if you read that the centerfire Remington Rolling Block pistols breech block will interchange with the #2 rifle, it isn't necessarily so. It can be made to work, but if I were doing it today, I would go ahead and drill the original block or get the unfinished one from Oklahoma (I think).

Robert

Another out-of-focus amateur YouToob video. Nothing personal, Kev18.

Coupla points.

He's using a .32 Short adaptor. That Favorite is chambered .32 Long, as are Marlin lever actions, my #4 Rolling Block and my 932 Hopkins & Allen. I have never seen a rifle chambered .32 Short RF. Only pocket pistols used Shorts. (Now somebody will chime in with a .32 caliber Quackenbush or some such, of course.) Not that Shorts can't be used in a Long chamber, but why?

TenMile has the proper heeled bullets. Using the proper bullet, mildly crimped, the loaded cartridge can be handled without the bullet falling out if you look at it crosseyed. (But for you in Canada, using a roundball may still be the only way, since Jack can't export.)

Those Ramset blanks work, but they expand on firing so much that they are VERY difficult to drive back out of the adapter. I found that the adapter suffers badly from this, leading to premature failure. He glosses over this so cavalierly that I wonder if he ever actually fired any. They are also too long to be used with .32 Short adapters, the video notwithstanding. In any case, if you must use Ramset loads, use only the mildest grade, #1 or #2, (Grey or Brown). #3 (Green) are too much. It's likely that a roundball would strip. #4 and #5 migfht actually damage weak action rifles like that Favorite.

MUCH better are these copper"acorn blanks" made for dog-training pistols.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I get mine from Amazon for convemience. If they won't ship to Canada, start looking for a seller of dog-training supplies. Yes, the can says 6mm, but trust me, they're .22 caliber. not as cheap as Ramset loads but they work far better.

These are so short that they can't expand inside the adapter, and are copper to boot, so they come out with ease. I use them as a primer for a charge of 1 to 2 grains of Bullseye. A case-full of 3F black would also be fine, if you don't mind cleaning up after the stuff.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Another out-of-focus amateur YouToob video. Nothing personal, Kev18.

Coupla points.

He's using a .32 Short adaptor. That Favorite is chambered .32 Long, as are Marlin lever actions, my #4 Rolling Block and my 932 Hopkins & Allen. I have never seen a rifle chambered .32 Short RF. Only pocket pistols used Shorts. (Now somebody will chime in with a .32 caliber Quackenbush or some such, of course.) Not that Shorts can't be used in a Long chamber, but why?

TenMile has the proper heeled bullets. Using the proper bullet, mildly crimped, the loaded cartridge can be handled without the bullet falling out if you look at it crosseyed. (But for you in Canada, using a roundball may still be the only way, since Jack can't export.)

Those Ramset blanks work, but they expand on firing so much that they are VERY difficult to drive back out of the adapter. I found that the adapter suffers badly from this, leading to premature failure. He glosses over this so cavalierly that I wonder if he ever actually fired any. They are also too long to be used with .32 Short adapters, the video notwithstanding. In any case, if you must use Ramset loads, use only the mildest grade, #1 or #2, (Grey or Brown). #3 (Green) are too much. It's likely that a roundball would strip. #4 and #5 migfht actually damage weak action rifles like that Favorite.

MUCH better are these copper"acorn blanks" made for dog-training pistols.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I get mine from Amazon for convemience. If they won't ship to Canada, start looking for a seller of dog-training supplies. Yes, the can says 6mm, but trust me, they're .22 caliber. not as cheap as Ramset loads but they work far better.

These are so short that they can't expand inside the adapter, and are copper to boot, so they come out with ease. I use them as a primer for a charge of 1 to 2 grains of Bullseye. A case-full of 3F black would also be fine, if you don't mind cleaning up after the stuff.
    Im thinking of getting my rifle's firing pin moved so I could shoot center fire. Im not sure if I could do it myself tho. I heard I could move the firing pin and shoot some easier to get .32 CF cartridges. Reloading with the .22 blanks takes forever and get stuck inside the machined case. I already had a .32 short case split alittle on the rim. So I dont use that one anymore.

Without reading back, I think you have a #2 Roller? Moving the pin isn't hard if you have even a hobbyists' benchtop milling machine. Potterfield has a video on it. I don't do it the way he does, but his way works for larger guns like the #2.

Then you can shoot .32 Long Colt CF, or ream the chamber a bit bigger and shoot .32 S&W Longs.
    Last edited by uscra112; 12-18-2018 at 02:07 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Without reading back, I think you have a #2 Roller? Moving the pin isn't hard if you have even a hobbyists' benchtop milling machine. Potterfield has a video on it. I don't do it the way he does, but his way works for larger guns like the #2.

Then you can shoot .32 Long Colt CF, or ream the chamber a bit bigger and shoot .32 S&W Longs.
    I have a stevens favorite .32RF. I dont have a milling machine. I have a drill press... If I take the pin out, drill a whole in the center for the Cf cartridges and make a new firing pin with some type of hard stock... It should work I think?

Ah. Favorites are a bit more trouble. Is yours an 1894 pattern or a 1915? I have done a 1915. The 1894 breechblock is narrower, and boring it out doesn't leave a lot of metal on the sides. You not only have to bore the firing pin channel out, you have to change the angle of it. I started with a .22 breechblock. Starting with a .32 breechblock, the angle change becomes more dramatic, and I was reluctant to try it. It COULD be done on a sturdy drill press if you have a good strong vise that you can clamp to the table. The key trick is in setting up the breechblock in the machine to do the angle bore.
    Last edited by uscra112; 12-19-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Ah. Favorites are a bit more trouble. Is yours an 1894 pattern or a 1915? I have done a 1915. The 1894 breechblock is narrower, and boring it out doesn't leave a lot of metal on the sides. You not only have to bore the firing pin channel out, you have to change the angle of it. I started with a .22 breechblock. Starting with a .32 breechblock, the angle change becomes more dramatic, and I was reluctant to try it. It COULD be done on a sturdy drill press if you have a good strong vise that you can clamp to the table. The key trick is in setting up the breechblock in the machine to do the angle bore.
    I looked at larry poterfield's video of him doing one. It looks complicated and he has hundreds of thousands in tools... I guess il keep .32 rim.

completed a sentence

Ignore the "completed a sentence". my bad

Kind of a shotgun response to these recent posts.
    Keith - if your RB is a #2, its most likely a .32 Extra Long. I have two #2s, both are XL. The #4s are .32 rimfire. Read back through this thread. I've posted a lot about .32 XL.
    32 long rf shoots fine in my 32xl chamber. I think it is because of the heeled bullet having a portion the same diameter as the chamber.

I have never seen a rifle chambered .32 Short RF.
    About 1 in 10 low wall's are marked .32 SHORT on the barrel, but the one I looked at would actually chamber longs. I don't know if there is a twist difference in rifling.

Prob wont be able to use the decapping die, as the .22 cal blank wont fit through the shell holder hole.
    At least some shell holders have a big enough hole, if you are using cases with a central drilled pocket for the blank. I have one marked "36" that works fine, I don't know the manufacturer. You will probably need to cobble up a larger diameter pin so the pin don't punch through the blank.
    Hope these comments don't seem nitpicky, I love 32rf's (I think I'm up to 7) and if you are discussing them, I will probably stick in my 2 cents worth.
    Dennis
    technology is having a laugh on me, I edited my post and for some reason the reason for editing now shows up at the top of the post.
    Last edited by kootne; 12-20-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: completed a sentence

Boolit Master
    I Have used these In My Original Joslyn Carbine M1864 single shot In 56/50 Spencer. they work very well . I little to place the case where the primer will strike. But otherwise nice to shoot. I also use the Round ball .520
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I looked at larry poterfield's video of him doing one. It looks complicated and he has hundreds of thousands in tools... I guess il keep .32 rim.
    I did my 1894 no problem, I can't recall how long exactly but it was a 1/2 day job. I made a punch that fits inside a .32 colt case to get the hole in the right place. Angle did not have to change much in practice. I was worried about it when I started, but it proved no challenge. I used an endmill not a drill bit.

I make .32 Long Colt brass from .32 S&W following the instructions from "Harry O" on this site (the link is here somewhere) - here is one: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p-W-Long-cases

Boolit Mold
    New guy here - just got a #4 Rolling block and working on some shootable loads. Found a couple possibilities. First one, "inherited" over 70 .32 rimfire blanks - copper cases, so they're most likely 1930/1940s vintage. Surprisingly, they have fired 100%. Glued a .31 cal (48 grain) round ball to the end of the blank. They load and fire pretty well. Across my Chrony, they're running 1050 to 1150 fps. Haven't shot for accuracy consistency yet, but they show promise. Second, found that I can turn 3/8 brass rod into a decent case on my lathe and use .27 cal green ramset cartridges (powder removed by hand filing the crimp off and dumping the unknown powder. No need to drill offcenter like when the .22 blanks are used. Just mic the ramset cartridge; match to the drill size - drill straight through; insert a dowell rod in the case as a mandrel to keep it from collapsing when you turn it down, and reduce the case OD to about .315, leaving a .050 thick rim. That leaves you with about .015 wall thickness. You'll have to open the "primer pocket" up to accept the .27's rim, but a 22/64th drill bit works for that - just go slow and carefully. You can use either a .31 cal round ball or a .32-20 100 grain lead bullet along with 10-12 grains of black powder. (Using the .32 blank and the 100 grain bullet got me 750-800 fps) I've left out a few details, but the jist of this is, 3/8" brass rod and .27 cal ramset cartridges will get you shooting that old Rolling Block.

Somehow this does not compute. What is the rim diameter of those .27 Ramset charges? I want to lay this out in CAD.
    Cognitive Dissident

Hello uscra112,

I don't know if the .27 Ramset and the .27 Duo-Fast match, but here is what I have for the Duo-Fast.
    The .27 Caliber Duo-Fast Cartridges measure .326” diameter at the rim, with a .267” body diameter.

AntiqueSledMan.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast