Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: reloadable .32 rimfire brass

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsp8 View Post
    Not yet, Chev.
    I am planning on going to my sisters property next weekend to attend to pre-hunting season chores and
    planning on benching it there. Funny, I just made a to-do note this morning to load up a few more with Titegroup...1.5 grains worked well, so will load a few each with 1.4 and 1.3 and chrono them. Will update the results afterwards.
    Tomsp8,
    I look forward to you posting your Results.
    My own projects are 'crawling' due to other pressing problems and lack of 'Discretionary Spending Funds' at the moment. Although I did spend soem time on my Friends Lathe and with his help, I now have almost all the needed parts and screws for the 'partial parts kit' Stevens Marksman action I bought a few months ago. The latest completed item is a 'hollow Screw Plug' to hold the bottom of the Hammer spring in the action. It is 3/8-24 thread, the same as the Barrel Retaining Screw. but is only about 3/16" long with a slot in one end to sue a Screwdriver on and the other end flat to support he spring end.

Another two parts still need to be made and one screw found to replace a bad threaded one.
    The Two parts are the push rod and spring taht is sued to move the Hammer to 'half Cock' as the action is opened adn the spring that returns/holds it in contact with the lever 'cam point'.
    The Screw is a nominal 3/16 diameter Step Screw with a 8-32 retaining thread. My existing one has a nearly smooth threaded area and does not tighten into the action although it does allow the action to be worked.
    These will need to wait until I get more funds available.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Well, got to shoot the Stevens Favorite 1894 with my smokeless loads:
    32 long colt cases 1x fired after previous mods performed. No resizing or expanding performed, "As Fired". Chamfered to ease bullet insertion only. No crimp.
    Chev's Bullets with the larger heel.
    Duo .22 blanks, emptied and trimmed as previously noted, to barely extend into the case.
    Titegroup 1.3gr Avg: 587 fps 100 fps extreme spread!
    Titegroup 1.5gr Avg: 671 fps 77 fps extreme spread
    Much lower vel than I expected, but wanted to err on the side of caution, especially with the much
    tighter neck tension using Chev's bullets. I try to be very consistant in my loading procedures, so I think the extreme spreads are simply due to too lite a charge. Accuaracy was about 1.5" - 2.5" or so with both loads, at fifty yards, the 1.5gr load slightly better. Not bad considering the anemic sights and my crappy vision. Although both loads were about 4 inches below poa at that distance.
    Need to scroll back a few pages to review the inputs from everyone else. I think I feel safe enough to load
    a few up to 2.1 with .2 increments and retest. Might try Bullseye next, though, at the same charges as these
    before moving up with the Titegroup. We'll see I reckon.
    Just thought I'd share these results.
    "One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street ... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time."

Boolit Master
    Good Report and sounds definitely like you could use a slightly stronger charge as the old Cartridges ran around 950-1100fps. Keep the Data coming.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

yea, my general goal was to get about 1000 fps, but let the groups decide. Since I felt I was
    treading into uncharted waters, started low.
    "One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street ... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time."

Well, getting old I guess......just checked my log book, and saw on page 18 of this topic that I had tried the Titegroup already (using the 299153 bullet though instead of the 311090a bullet) using 1.5 & 1.7 Titegroup...
    Guess that's what I get for not reviewing when getting back to a project that I put away for a while!
    Not sure why I got a lower velocity with the tighter fitting heel 311090 versus the smaller heeled 299153
    though. And got a smaller extreme spread with the looser fitting bullets as well. Although the cases on the second test were "as fired" no sizing, so maybe the extra couple thou of pre-expansion made some difference?
    Gotta get more bullets............

Boolit Master
    Tomsp8,
    As I previously posted, they are available from "Matt's Bullets".
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Quote Originally Posted by tomsp8 View Post
    Well, getting old I guess......just checked my log book, and saw on page 18 of this topic that I had tried the Titegroup already (using the 299153 bullet though instead of the 311090a bullet) using 1.5 & 1.7 Titegroup...
    Guess that's what I get for not reviewing when getting back to a project that I put away for a while!................
    Tom,
    "Well getting old I guess....." Make that two of us.
    I would suggest 2.0 grs of Titegroup which pretty much replicates the original smokeless ballistics and shot pretty well for me. Just make sure not to double charge the case(!).

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Went back through all the threads from the beginning, (actually didn't make it all the way!) and saw again your Titegroup loads, W30. Shoulda done that first, to refresh myself since I stepped away from this project for so long. Without going all the way back again, what bullet were you using with that approximate 2.0 charge?
    Still debating between the 299153 and the 311090a bullets.....(with my modified factory 32 long colt cases).
    Made myself a note to call "Matts Bullets" tomorrow Chev, he does not list the bullet on his web site.

Was actually very "re educational" to re-read this entire post! Not that I'll remember it all, of course!

Tom,
    The 299153 is intended for use with the .78" case (as is the 31-090S).
    The 31-090A is for the .91" case.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold

The 9mm Flobert saga continues ....

Hi Chev.

I just saw this post now. I don't get notification emails for some reason. I have considered buying a barrel blank and going in that direction. Not long ago I was looking over Lothar Walther's list and I gave it serious consideration. I'm not all that talented at gunsmithing and getting it all right. I even picked up a couple of shotgun inserts for a 410 & 20 Gauge in 22 LR with offsets to figure out a way to rechamber them to fit the 9mm RF shotshell. I regret selling my mini mill now.

I've also been watching some auctions of antique single shots, one in a 32 RF that might be the ideal. I've read of a few others who owned rechambered single shots in 9mm Flobert. The little 9mm is a modest velocity cartridge and from what I read, has a .309 bore. I would part with my box of 32 Short Colt brass. I don't need them. Lemme know. Thanks, Wm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by partisan39 View Post
    Hi Chev.

I just saw this post now. I don't get notification emails for some reason. I have considered buying a barrel blank and going in that direction. Not long ago I was looking over Lothar Walther's list and I gave it serious consideration. I'm not all that talented at gunsmithing and getting it all right. I even picked up a couple of shotgun inserts for a 410 & 20 Gauge in 22 LR with offsets to figure out a way to rechamber them to fit the 9mm RF shotshell. I regret selling my mini mill now.

I've also been watching some auctions of antique single shots, one in a 32 RF that might be the ideal. I've read of a few others who owned rechambered single shots in 9mm Flobert. The little 9mm is a modest velocity cartridge and from what I read, has a .309 bore. I would part with my box of 32 Short Colt brass. I don't need them. Lemme know. Thanks, Wm
    PM sent. Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    PM sent. Chev. William
    PM Sent.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    A little Progress on one of my project rifles:
    The 'modified 1915 Stevens Favorite' with the custom made Breech Block and other parts is a little closer to firing as I now have a Firing Pin and its retainer pin fitted and installed. The pin is slightly below flush when the pin is retracted and the tip is about .050" out when it is fully extended.
    I believe this will give sufficient travel to set off a RF cartridge that nominally takes a .030" crush of the rim to fully compress the two layers of the case to 'solid contact' with each other.

Next is setting up the Barrel(s) to head space correctly in this action. I think I will start with a .22RF chambered barrel and see how the Firing Pin hits on the Rims before trying any of my other caliber barrels with Adapter cases to take .22RF blanks as Primers.

The 1894 Actions at the gunsmith's shop will be getting new machined pivot screws as we found that the originals were so soft and threaded too far to support the forces of a .25 Caliber RF Blank let alone a cartridge with bullet. My gunsmith now has some 1/4-28 Grade 8 bolts that he will turn down to make the pivot screws for the 1894, leaving a longer unthreaded portion (the Grip area) to more fully support the Breech Block and Lever in Battery position. The originals seem to have had about three or four threads visible inside the receiver when threaded into the receiver with the head tight against its seat. This means the threaded portion was supporting one side of the BB and Lever so bent easily under firing pressure. He will try to have the 'Grip' just enter the inside of the threaded receiver boss as the head goes hard against its seat. Somewhat similar to how the model 44 BB pivot pin is supported by both sides of the receiver inside bosses.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    They arrived, thank you.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

My latest Stevens Favorite .32 chrono readings:
    299153 bullet Lee Liquid Alox (tumbled, before loading)
    .790 case (32 Long Colt trimmed & modified) As fired from previous loads, only sizing the neck
    area to about .001/.002 below heel diameter of .299 using a Lee bullet sizer
    My .22 nail gun blanks, emptied and trimmed, for ignition
    2.0 Titegroup
    Velocities of (low) 904 to (high) 954 for a 926 avg. Duplicating W30's results of 924 avg. using the 311090
    bullet and longer case.
    However, at fifty yards all shot very low. Had to aim at the top edge of an 8" paper
    plate to hit the center of the plate. None of my other loads did this (?).
    Wish I lived where I could load, and shoot immediately to test. In the future, I will stick with
    25 yards for testing as the sights are so miniscule and my eyes are fading fast....Low shots
    could have been me, but all my other loads shot much closer to poa.
    Just thought I'd share. Hope everyone is doing great.
    Tom Sp8

W30WCF. Is there a nice chart like you posted for .38 Rimfire? Very nice.

Tom,
    Happy to see that you are making progress. The reason that the bullets are hitting low is likely due to the faster barrel exit with the higher velocity loading. My Marlin '92 .32 places that recipe (2.0 Titegroup) and factory .32 LC ammunition to the same point of impact at 50 yards.

Hooker53,
    Wish I did but since I have no firearm chambered for the .38 Rimfire, I have no experience with it.
    An internet search found this.....
    http://38rimfire.blogspot.com/
    https://www.dixiegunworks.com/produc...i3rde2ogiitq35
    http://www.hc-collection.com/PBSCCat...7&PBCATName=38 rimfire 38RF

Bullet mold:
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=38-140H-D.png

Hope that helps.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 10-15-2014 at 06:38 AM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Thanks loads W30.

Boolit Bub
    When is this gonna be a STICKY? Definitively needs to be.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast