Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Good day at the range.

Boolit Master

Good day at the range.

We had a beautiful day Sun. to shoot, but what made it better was to have my God Son come and shoot his first BPCRS match. He shot one back when he was 12 but as you can see he is a little older than that now, has 2 younguns of his own now. Big problem now according to him is how to break it to his wife that he needs a BPCR. I hope he is serious but time will tell. Young guy with 2 young kids and career to juggle can be a challenge, he has a bad enough time getting away to deer hunt.

And it was also the comeback match for my normal shooting/hunting partner. He finished Chemo and Radiation treatment back in Nov and has some neropathy of his extremities and can't really feel the trigger. The gun going off is truly a surprise for him at this point. Even considering that handicap he finished 2nd in the match. He was on the Long Range ML team that went to Bisly when they discovered the cancer and had to stand down for the treatment. Just goes to show a good shooter is a good shooter even when things ain't perfect. Sure glad to have him back.

Bob
    Last edited by Boz330; 08-28-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Heck Bob I count it a good day at the range if I get all of my brass back, let alone have frinds and family along. Great day.

PS, I found with muzzle loading I don't have to worry about finding all of the brass, cleaning it, sorting it then reloading it. Just clean the gun, cast more boolits and good to go next time.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Bub
    Bob,
    I'm glad to hear everyone had such a good time. Just getting range time is great, but having family and friends with you makes it that much better. Hopefully the weather will be as nice on your next trip. Larry

Good for you

That sounds like a really nice day!
    Unfortunately we missed each other this time in Friendship but maybe next time.

Yes, there is almost no time better spent than with friends at the range.

DIRT_Farmer, I hear you.
    Just had a call with one of my old old hunting friends over here. He, his son and some others have rented the 300 m range the Saturday after next and I have to come. Lots of things to reload first and I am on another business trip for 7 coming days...

Hubertus

Banned
    Ain't no bad day at the range!!!!!!

A bad day hunting is way better than a good day working, nuff said.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Heck Bob I count it a good day at the range if I get all of my brass back, let alone have frinds and family along. Great day.

PS, I found with muzzle loading I don't have to worry about finding all of the brass, cleaning it, sorting it then reloading it. Just clean the gun, cast more boolits and good to go next time.
    The young man in the photo worked all summer weekends when he was 11 gassing airplanes and cleaning windscreens for a CVA mountain rifle. He couldn't even load it by himself yet and took his first 3 deer with it. He was KY Junior IPSC pistol Champion 3 years running till he was too old to compete. He discovered girls and cars about that time and all bets were off. They always come back to their roots though after they get settled down. We've already swapped a couple e-mails about rifles so maybe he is serious.

Bob

Boolit Master

Well the kid found a Pedersoli Creedmore at a local gunshop for $999 on consignment. Called me Friday to tell me about it so I went up and looked at it. If it was shot it wasn't shot much. I called him back and gave him my opinion and offered to help him out if he didn't have enough money. He said that he was going to look through his safe and see if there was something he could part with in a trade.
    Anyway his dad came down to the farm Sunday morning to do some shooting and told me that Chris had gone back over to the shop Saturday morning to drool on the gun some more. His dad basically said that if it was a good deal go ahead and get it on his CC and they would work it out later. Now his dad and I are on his wife's short list and you can figure out what that means.
    He ordered brass and most of the rest of the stuff he needs I already have and there is a case of KIK 1.5F on the way from Powder Inc. The other advantage is now I have company on the 150 mile trip home from the range. Sometimes that is a real looong drive.

Bob

Boolit Master

Girls, cars and a nicely trimed rifle. Sounds like a lad even momma will love, once she understands he can't afford the money to get in trouble.
    Remember the first matches and hunting trips, you get to see them again when you take a kid. The drives home from Friendship are a lot shorter with a jabbering kid along who wants to go back.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

Results from his second match

Well my Godson shot his first match with his new to him Pedersoli 74. The match was moved to Saturday because of mothers day. Normally we shoot pigs on chains at 300yd and rams on chains at 600yd 20 rounds for score at each distance. The range is not set up for Silhouettes so we have to use the highpower range the best we can. Because we had to work around another match we just shot 2 relays at 300yd instead of going to 600.
    It took a little bit to get the Sharps on target since we were guessing at sight settings since we didn't have time to do it at shorter distance after installation. Once we had the zero he proceeded to hit 15 out of 20 pigs. On the second relay he shot a clean 20 out of 20.
    This with fire forming loads and a Lyman Postel and guess at powder quantity. To top it off the light was terrible because of an overcast. He ended up 2nd just one hit behind the winner who usually takes at least 50% of the matches and is one hell of a good shot.
    I always thought the kid had a knack for shooting but he impressed me with this match. I probably shot 3 years before I shot my first clean at 300. I've seen him make some impressive shots on deer and coyotes but he doesn't shoot that much and I thought that there was a measure of luck involved. Of course 33 year old eyes has something to do with it but this is his first foray into BPCR.

Bob

Boolit Master

Cool

Sounds like you had a great day, Bob. Must be nice, I'm stuck on the boat.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a talented shooter in need of coaching and guidance and you're both off to a great start. Young eyes help, but sounds like he has more going for him than that.
    Great job, both of you!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.