Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: How much do you cast in relation to how much you shoot?

Voters
322. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't cast enough to keep up with my shooting

23 7.14%
  • I cast enough to keep up with my shooting and no more

36 11.18%
  • I cast more than i need to keep a given stockpile

186 57.76%
  • I cast for fun, no matter how much i have stockpiled i keep casting

77 23.91%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Much You Cast Vs Shoot

Boolit Grand Master
    I have made it much easier by settling on one or two bullets in each caliber. Not using 5 different 45-70 bullets has made life better.
    I cast what I want, when I want. I don't "keep inventory", I just have bins of bullets. If I look to be running low on something I will cast more but there is little science to,it.
    I think mostly us cast more than we shoot because we cast at home but don't shoot at home. Much asker to get to the garage for an hour than to get to the range for an our.

Boolit Grand Master

I like casting and sometimes I'll remelt a batch just to cast some more. I have way more casting time than shooting time (Dr. appointments and cancer treatments have cut my shooting way down). I can walk 30' out my back door to my shed and sit on a stool and cast away, just about anytime. To shoot, I have to wait 'till it stops raining (I don't have 4 wheel drive) and I have enough energy to drive up the hill, 30 minutes or so. So, casting keeps me in "touch" with my guns and stuff, even when I can't go shooting...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

This year in the month of Febuary i cast /lubed / sized 20,267 bullets and i have more than that amount stockpiled before i started .

Boolit Master

Several buddies have found out how accurate my cast boolits are in their firearms. Rascals show up at odd times wanting to buy or trade me out of my boolits. I have to keep a fair supply to maintain some for me!
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    Up here in the Mitten, I cast mostly in the Oct/November before the bad stuff shows up. This last year I did over a 100 lbs of pistol bullets. I generally settle on one to three styles per caliber and make a bunch to get through the year.
    I will be casting this spring with some molds I got over the winter.
    As for shooting, ever other weekend 11 to 3, home for din din.
    Gerry
    MI

Boolit Master

I enjoy casting boolits, as well as all the other steps involved in reloading, and I can do all of them at home. Shooting means going to either an indoor range (for pistols), or an outdoor range (for rifles), both require paying to be able to shoot there. So I tend to do more casting and loading than I do shooting. Due to having a bad heart, one problem that I have is that when going to the range to shoot my pistols, between the box that holds the pistols, and another that holds the ammo, both of which are kind of on the heavy side, by the time I get to the range I've gotten myself tired just from carrying the stuff I'm going to use! I really wish I still lived in TN, at the first house I was renting up there I could walk out my back door, and shoot! Back then I shot almost every day!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Grand Master

I keep a fairly large stock pile of boolits that I regularly use, but when I get bored I may just pull an old mold and cast some up. It gives me a reason to shoot some of my safe queens.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

i think i'll definitely be in the stockpile group.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cast what I need with a surplus stockpile.
    Too many other things to do around here. SWMBO told me it is time to clean up
    "My Room" She's right. It's past due. Add that project to the list.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I picked #3, but I hovered over #2 for a bit before deciding to go with #3.

I really enjoy casting though. Pan lubing isn't bad, but sizing and installing gas checks isn't that much fun, so I mostly pick molds that are PB and shoot as cast if I can get away with it.

ill cast and reload a few hundred of whatever caliber i have. the ammo doesnt really sit much longer. its shot within a month or two, usually in the same week.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

The group buy section adds to the Fun of it all...
    High Hook

Boolit Buddy
    I like casting as a hobby on it's own I sell most of what I cast it pays for powder primers and new moulds, I cast boolits I don't have guns for, I get bored if I don't have a new mould to play with every few months. Robert.

I rarely have that much time that I can cast to have a large stockpile. Plus I cast for a bunch of calibers, so time is an issue. Cast what I need for a few months then do it again.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    I only cast what I am going to shoot.

That's pretty much what I do. But I have a friend who just said he wants to cast his own Boolits, He has a lee 20 ponder he was using for sinkers. He has no molds so I made a deal with him. using his own lead and my molds cast for him self. and using my lead cast some for me. in hand guns we shoot most of the same calibers. rifles he shoots a lot of the heavy stuff. so it works out very well. plus I still cast as well. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

ADMIN

Re: How Much You Cast Vs Shoot

Right now i run the machine until i have a full plastic coffee can.
    So that's between 1000 to 2500 depending on the boolits.
    With 125 gr 38s its 2300 boolits per can. With bigger boolits its 1200

But from now on I run the machine whenever I am out there for 3+hours
    sent from my mobile.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to stockpile boolits that I used a lot but it seemed that I was always looking at bins of boolits cast in years past that I didn't even have the firearm for any more, or use a different boolit for that firearm etc. All the time to cast them and alloy tied up in boolits that I didn't need seemed kind of silly. Any more I cast what I need when I need them. If it is a boolit that I'm currently using I'll keep a couple hundred extra on hand but that's it.

Even so, I still seem to have bins of boolits but now it's only 20 of these, 50 of those, left overs from a loading session. With 70+ molds it still seems to be a lot of boolits just sitting there.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Take now, I have enough 45's and 9's to easily last the winter. The 44's and varoius 38's - I always keep plenty of them on hand. I shouldn't need to cast until early spring, maybe later than that. Keep em in the black. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Retired, casting is a hobby I started about a year ago. Cast enough to keep up with shooting. I experiment a lot to get something better, when I achieve that, I cast to shoot. So I have a 100 or so ready, maybe 50 rifle and 200 pistol loaded. I cast for 40SW, 30-30 & AR 308. All I got & all I need. Oh I did get a twinge to get a 380 or 9 or 357 lever, but that's gone for now. I might crank up the pot next week to work on a new alloy, but I need to get to the range so I can load some more.

Boolit Master
    It is difficult to keep with demand, but no store boughts for me.

prs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast