RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Liquid xlox

Liquid xlox

Is there any difference between lee liquid alox and the liquid xlox at white label lubes? I'm thinking about getting some. The price sure is good on the xlox. does it dry hard and not sticky. Any info would be great.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

They are both made from the same Lubrizol product as a base.

I have used both and did not notice any difference.

I used to work for a chemical company that makes polymer additives for Lubrizol. I was able to get a sample pint of the concentrated stuff from Lubrizol that is being used for Lee Liquid Alox.

Then I just switched to xlox, when I used up the batch I made with the sample because I am now retired and for the cost, it is better than making a batch at home.

The only reason it is called liquid xlox is because Lee has the rights to the Liquid Alox name.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Thanks for that info Single Shot. I think I will order some.

Boolit Grand Master

I've found that if I thin my xlox/alox with mineral spirits, it will dry faster, and be less sticky...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Great tip. I forgot to mention it.

It does not take much. I use an old LLA bottle and cut it with about 1/4 odorless mineral spirits.

Not the Klean Strip "GREEN" type. the product is white and appears to have a water base.

If you read the fine print on the label it is an Odorless Mineral Spirits substitute.
    Last edited by Single Shot; 03-13-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Thanks for the tip I will go to the hardware store and see if they have some. I still have one bottle of alox left. I am casting some 311299 bullets and want to dip the bore riding end after they are loaded. Thinning out the alox is just what I'm after. Plus I tumble lube a lot of 45 acp bullets. I go through a lot of alox with those and that xlox is way cheaper. You learn about a lot of good deals on the forum.

Boolit Master
    If adding solvent lets it dry quicker, it is probably simply because you are using too much and the thinner formulation gets you where you want to be while simply using less LLA/Xlox.
    Amazing product for what may have been an accident (oxidized calcium soaps).

That makes sense. I tried mineral spirits of turpentine man that stuff stinks bad. The wife didn't like that in the house. It didn't dry very fast. I also thought about as atone being it drys fast. I now have some 100% mineral spirits. Not much of a selection where I live. I will see how that works.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I've found that if I thin my xlox/alox with mineral spirits, it will dry faster, and be less sticky...
    And you can cut it a good bit. When thinned the product goes on better, more evenly,
    and dries to a sort of harder shell.

Not near as messy either.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin