Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Building a quiet back yard range.

Boolit Buddy

Building a quiet back yard range.

Because of the neighbors near my rural house, I shoot my heavy stuff at a range just over an hour away. I make it once a month.

I am in the process of building a back yard range for Colibri and Super Colibri ammo. My son and I have already shot a 500/pk and I just got in 4 more. It is fun, convenient, and relatively cheap. I have compared to CCI quiet ammo but the Super and regular Colibri are noticeably quieter. I shoot the super in rifles and regular in pistols/revolvers. Of course, semi-automatics have to be cycled manually. From about 150 feet away, the report and a sharp hand clap sound about the same.

I am using paper targets and .22 swinging targets, both commercial and home made.

I have been enjoying it so much I just bought a Henry for the range. I've also been shooting a Remington 512T, a Polish (Wz-48 military trainer), and a Nylon 66. I should be getting my Stevens Favorite soon from a local restorer. He is also working on my Hoban.

Handguns include a Ruger Bearcat and Mark I.

The ammo is not super accurate but quite fun. It is sometimes difficult to feed (Ruger Mark 1 mostly) and will occasionally stick in the barrel of my Wz-48 so I ensure that every shot leaves the barrel. If the shot seems too quiet, I visually inspect the barrel. Had one stick out of 100 yesterday.

Boolit Master
    Wish I had a back yard range. Not far to the friends ranges, or the nat. forest, but still nice to shoot right at home.

The following is somehting I have thought about and seems like I have heard a bit about ---------

Build a shooting house with the shooting port much larger then needed for the barrel, but line it and baffle it like the inside of a muffler.

If it is safe to shoot in your location, I think I'd sure explore the possiblities of makeing it usable for more then .22s.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

A very effective muffler is a horizontal stack of 6 to 10 old car tires, bolted or wired together.

That Colibri primer-only ammo will leave a nasty ring of hard residue just in front of the case mouth. Takes a lot of brushing and powder solvent to get it out.
    Cognitive Dissident

Sounds like you could justify the purchase of a high end PCP airgun with a shrouded barrel. Way more accurate than a 22 with Colibri ammo, and quieter. A lot cheaper to shoot too, once you get over the initial purchase of the gun and all the toys to go with it. Just think, "Daystate"......

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    That Colibri primer-only ammo will leave a nasty ring of hard residue just in front of the case mouth. Takes a lot of brushing and powder solvent to get it out.
    Yes. I clean my .22s after each shooting session like I do my Mosins that use corrosive milsurp. The primer only propellant is much nastier than you would expect but I don't mind cleaning at all. I shot an additional 100 today with my Henry and Nylon 66. Accuracy isn't great it is worth the trade off.

Boolit Bub
    I can recommend 2 other possible options;

Try Aguila's Sub-Sonic ammo, it's pleasant out of a rifle and very accurate. It's my ammo of choice for the Kimber SVT.

I would also recommend trying a couple of different types of air guns. I started into them about twelve years ago for alot of the same reasons you have. You don't have to go "all in" for a Daystate or PCP rig. I'd recommend one of RWS's or Beeman springer gun at first, nicely used also. They are relatively (to a 22rifle) heavy but have good power and accuracy. THe nice thing about springers is that they are always ready, just cock and load. No air to pump or charge. Another favorite airgun area of mine is older Crosman CO2 guns. Find one with new seals in it like a 160 or 180 and you will have a light weight, scary accurate to 30-40 yards gun that will give hours of fun for little money.

Boolit Buddy
    For accuracy, at the expense of a good bit more noise, I use Remington subsonic.

I have a squirrel problem with them getting into my attic and chewing wire. I declared war against them last year and keep the population very low around my house. They show up on the ground around my bird feeder so the shots are close and safely toward the ground.

It is a lot nosier but obviously, it is not like range shooting. Maybe a bang or two and then quiet for a few days.

Just for interest:
    Building A Portable Outdoor Noise Barrier Or...
    How to Make a Really Big Boom Box
    By Joseph D'Alessandro Editor | RealGuns.Com
    http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar139.htm

Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

I have an Outers trap and I shoot in my cellar, Super Colbri only. The lead that collects in the trap goes into my next melt. Don't even ask how many bricks of Aguilla I go thru.
    Last edited by corvette8n; 04-02-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Boolit Master

The Colbris are fun, but the melted plastic smell really gets to me...
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 03-27-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 22 rifle with bulged barrel from shooting Super Colbri. I was shooting rabbits in my garden thought I missed (but bullet was stuck) and tried again opps! Now to try my gunsmithing skills in cutting a dovetail and barrel then crowning.