WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Thompson center gray hawk value

Boolit Mold

Thompson center gray hawk value

Anyone have a value for this gun. .50 cal never shot.

Any specs or info you can pass on.
    Last edited by xcr440; 03-14-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    My guess would be about $275-295. I have had one since they just came on the market and like it. It is my winter hunting gun when the rain gets serious on the Washington Coast. Shoots round ball quite well with 80 gr of FFF

Boolit Mold
    These pretty much the same as a new englander? Other than the stainless steel. 1:48 28" barrel?. Correct? Not a lot of info out there other than photos. Wonder why they quit making it?

Boolit Mold
    From what. Can see the barrel is shorter than a hawken. Maybe 26 or 24" ??

Boolit Master
    The barrel is shorter than the Hawken. They probably quit making them because the were an "ugly duckling" with that plastic stock and stainless fittings but that is exactly what I needed to hunt in the rain (often 4 inches of rain sometimes mixed with snow per day). BTW it also shoots sabots with 429cal 265 gr boolits quite well with the same load of FFF Goex whichis a great elk loading.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I recall they are closer to 24" and were made in both .50 and .54 and all were 1-48" twist. I bought one as an inclement weather hunter for MLer season, and had it scoped for a while. Mine (.50) never shot particularly well with PRBs, but shot like a laser with 240-270gr in sabots.

Yeah, all SS and plastic. They made a New Englander in similar rynite stock, but it had blued hardware.

Sidelocks pretty much were obsoleted by inlines, so TC went where the $ was. Some of us prefer the aesthetics of the sidelocks, and I have several percussion and flint rifles, a shotgun barrel for a New Englander, and yes, even an Omega.

Funny, I just recently purchased both a Grey Hawk in .54 & a New Englander (.50). They're both still in the mail somewhere up in this great white north, but as soon as I receive them and get some good range time i'll reply back to this thread.
    On hand for projectiles I have some pure lead cast REAL (54) & Improved Minie (50) plus some Harvester sabots where I can try some 250gr Hdy Flex Tip SST's.

I bought mine new years ago for $130.00 because the gun shop could not find a buyer for it. No one liked the plastic toy look it has. The deer I have shot with it never noticed or had time to complain.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Quote Originally Posted by oldtoolsniper View Post
    I bought mine new years ago for $130.00 because the gun shop could not find a buyer for it. No one liked the plastic toy look it has. The deer I have shot with it never noticed or had time to complain.
    I picked up a .54 cal. Grey Hawk at a garage sale several years ago, for $100. It came with a pound of GOEX FFG, 50 or so round balls, patches, bore butter, jags, saboted jacketed bullets, speedi loaders, and a bunch of other stuff. It is an ugly gun but is lightweight and shoots PRB like a dream. I have never had much luck shooting the other stuff. Hard to keep REALs in a pie plate sized group at 75 yards. Doesn't like the saboted bullets either.

Boolit Man
    I don't think inlines are actually muzzleloaders, they are really only clumsy slow to load single shots. Real muzzleloaders have wood stocks and use real black powder that is ignited with flint and steel, (a frizzen), or percussion caps..........robin

I got my Dad one in the mid 90's I do not recall exactly what I paid for it, I think in the lower $200's NIB that was distributor pricing minus 20% so about 60% of retail. That would put retail in the $350 range in 1995 ish. Traditional utilitarian muzzle loader, it has a shorter round barrel and I think it has modern swivel studs on the stock. Or maybe it has SS loops the like the Ruger All-Weathers had (black stock with Ruger logo in the indent).

I think some states do not allow in-lines during the ML deer & elk seasons making the Greyhawk a perfect rifle and would tend to increase the value to the right buyer.

After I stuck a sabot in the barrel while sighting it in at the range my Dad decided he would only shoot the Hornady Great Plains 50 cal's 385 HP in it. Found out you need to swab between shots when using sabots the hard way. IIRC we were using 80 gr RS Pryodex with the 45-300 gr saboted bullets and with the Great Plains 385 gr & 425 gr (now discontinued). My Dad said the deer he shot dropped instantly with the GP bullets.

Kind of funny I was just thinking of that rifle a few days ago.

Boolit Master
    They are the same as a New Englander, just SS and plastic. They have a 1-48 twists, 26" barrel, mine shoots the lights out, especially with a Hornady Great plains 385gr slug, or TC maxi hunter I mold myself, both with 90grs of 2ffg behind them. $300 if mint is a steal!

Dandy rifle..id like to have one for bad weather hunt'n myself..I don't see them too often for sale around here..I know guys that have them but they hold on to them because they generally shoot so well..that and they are bullet proof.

I realize this is an older post that was recently brought back to life. Added my 2 cents in case future readers care to have an extra opinion.

Attachment 138031

5 shots. Shot open sights using 50 Cal. Grey Hawk setting on top of a shooting stick at Aprox. 50 yards. The boolit was a Lee 250 gr R.E.A.L.

Picked it up at a gun show for a steal. I wouldn't take a penny less than $250 for it, even though paper is the only thing I have shot.
    Last edited by waarp8nt; 12-15-2015 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Target added.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master

bought my son one in the 90s. it will shoot rb are maxie ball well its killed a lot of deer.i even shoot two whitetail bucks with it using pp boolits. I think I cast them at 300 grains. out of a rcbs smooth mold adjustable.

I was just looking at a picture of one of these. I think I want one.

Jon.

Anybody know what the weight on one of these is in .54? Anybody have a current value for one?
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman