Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: American Creedmoor Cup- BPCR's toughest LR match

Vendor Sponsor

American Creedmoor Cup- BPCR's toughest LR match

American Creedmoor Cup
    Two day Creedmoor match 10 shots each at 800yds, 900yds, &1000yds each day.
    Shot on NRA longrange target.

Singleshot rifles, Blackpowder and lead

Want to know more?

Arizona- Final after two days. From what I can remember. I'm beat and heading for bed. I will check the pictures of the scoreboard I took for better info sometime later. This is what I can give you now.

More rough winds gusting and then dead still then winds heading in the other direction. Very hard to keep up with.

Eron Ahmer MW 499
    Ramond Hanson 2nd 486
    Michael Rix 3rd 481

Kenny Wasserberger -High paper patch score

Sorry I do not remember any more....
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Hello, Chill Wills..yeah..I'll bet your tired..but happy! You lucky dog! The long range matches of the late 19th century have always held a facination for me..just the mention of Bisley, Creedmoor & Wimbledon gets my imagination & blood pumping!
    Don't know if I'll ever be able to compete in L.R...but last year, I did manage to purchase an original Remington rolling block mid-range .40 2 1/2"...with British proofs! Haven't shot it yet..but Swiss 1 1/2 loads are patiently waiting in their boxes! Have a couple of new Brooks moulds to try out this coming season too! How I wish this old girl could talk!
    About the closest I came..and you probably will think this silly..is with reduced targets at 100yds.
    In the book Americans And Their Guns, there are detailed descriptions of Creedmoor matches..and dimensioned drawings of the old chilled cast-iron 1000 yd. targets. With the help of a printer friend..these were scaled down for shooting at 100yds. The "bull"..I made the early square & later round is 3.6"
    At 100yds. thru irons it looks for all the world like a pencil dot!
    Using a 1930's era BSA Martini .22 prone rifle, I managed to keep all in black..with some touching! with a Buffalo Arms wrist rest.
    Then I went to sling..kept most..but not all in bull.
    Next, I did it like our Creedmoor forebears..no support at all..now this rifle has been customized & re-barrreled with a 30" 1" at muzzle brl..it's heavy! I found myself having to rest between shots..that and the 90 deg. weather at the time didn't help. But I did manage to hit the bull a few times..Would make a good fun match! Even was tempted to contort my carcase into one of them fancy back positions..but would have to take care for my toes!
    Hope all your shots tomorrow are 10's..good luck!

Vendor Sponsor

If some of you are wondering, Creedmoor is NRA's oldest match. It got everything started really. Today's Creedmoor, like back in the 1870's is a 800y, 900y & 1000y black powder and lead singleshot match. Ten record shots at each range for a possible 300 total score for the 30 shots.
    Here are a few pictures to give you the idea what some will do and call it fun.
    The first pic is through my scope at the 1000y line. Brent Danielson placed a PP bullet through the X ring on target 70. On target 66 Dave Gullo has a 6 O'clock 8.

Pic 2 and 3 are from the target pit and pit house. The bullets come flying in over the top of this into a back berm. You can see the target holders through the open door. That is Steve Baldwin,red jacket, sight maker talking to Pat Taylor on the right and Raymond Hanson talking to ACC match winner Eron Ahmer holding the cup.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

With someone pulling and marking in the pit, the rifleman on the line can shoot the record shots and have their score kept. Two shooters and one scorekeeper per target all the way down the line.
    The 3rd pic is a view down to the targets from the shooting mat, crossed sticks and shoulder scope. 1000yds is a long way off with iron sights.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Pics 1 and 2 are of a few past NRA national Creedmoor champions, Dave Gullo and Mike Rix with John V. 2) Doc Lay, prone. And the last pic is of the winners of the 2012 American Creedmoor Cup, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, High "old guy" High heavy rifle, and High PP bullet shooter.
    Chill Wills

And for those of you that think you might can 'hold' the 8 ring for ten shots...well...just trot on out to a match and give it a go! Some days...you'll be lucky to hold paper!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    This match by far is one of the best in country, shooting with no spotter and doing it allon your own, with the conditions we had a real challenge for sure.

KW
    The Lunger

Kenny.

Doing it alone is the way all matches should be shot. Just you and your rifle and a score keeper.

That would be the mark of a rifleman.

Boolit Buddy
    Well,

Just come over to Bisley - that's the way it is done this side of the pond. Trying to get back on target after a miss can be pretty frustrating... Creedmoor - the only game where you can go from absolute exhiliration to sheer frustration in just 2 shots! Don't you just love it??

Boolit Master
    Kurt that is how highpower is done, however its been since its starte for BPCR with a spotter, a carry over I am sure from Silhouette, Not saying its bad or Good just saying thats how it is done.

the Conditions at Phoenix were some of the toughest for 4 days in a row major winds and fast changes from 11 to 2 directions, was a major challenge. And a lot of fun.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I think something like the Cup run under the original rules, single trigger, 10lb rifle weight limit and no artificial rests would be a real hoot.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I think something like the Cup run under the original rules, single trigger, 10lb rifle weight limit and no artificial rests would be a real hoot.
    Yes it would. The Cup was as close as I could come.
    Chill Wills

Maybe that's something you could work on Eron and co. about trying/ doing there at Byers?
    I've visited with the guys at Alliance about a pit match,of some sort, but they have a pretty heavy schedule at the Hoffland range now, but they do say that bpcr's are welcome at any of the club rifle matches,,,, and lord they shoot alot variety there..

Vendor Sponsor

Maybe that's something you could work on Eron and co. about trying/ doing there at Byers?
    Don, I do not think so for 2012.

Eron and I both would like to incorporate some "Cup" style matches into the Byers schedule but that will have to wait until we see what the turn out will be for 2012. I sound like I am in charge but I don't mean too. It's just we are down to a very few shooters going to the Byers match and I will support anything Eron does to get it going again. Likewise I will be handed the roll of Match Director for the BPCR Silhouette match east of Denver. The Long time director can no longer do it due to personal reasons. Eron has expressed support for that and we will try to schedule things so one match can help attendance for the other match making the drive and miles worth more shooting time. (as in a two day event instead of just one)

I really hope we can have some riflemen from the region come to the Byers LR matches as it is a great range, first rate in fact. And, I need to get my butt to some matches outside my normal circle to meet new people and promote the paper matches.

Hopefully, if we get some interest, we can have a American Creedmoor Cup day match in Colorado in 2013.

All the best,
    Chill Wills

I am going to do my level best to make it to the May 13th match and hopefully the June 3 at Byers. I'm thinking Bryan is trying to juggle the April and May matches into his.
    It would be very good to get some paper matches closer than 500 miles from home.

Gents,
    I am contemplating coming to either the May or June Long Range Match at Byers, I have to work out a scheduling conflict first. I have never shot long range and would love to come check it out. Bottom line is that I am a complete newbie to Long Range and would like to get a feel for it but could definitelly use some tutoring/mentoring. Are folks receptive to newbies and willing to help out a beginner?

I have not ever met but just a few bpcr shooters that weren't receptive to new folks.
    I would bet that those guys running Byers are as good as they come.
    You can look up the Colorado Rifle Club's web site and get a full schedule and contact information.
    If you have a hankering to try the long range gong shooting, the Weekend of May 4th at Alliance Nebraska would be a very good place to find yourself with your rifle and a couple hundred rounds of ammo.

Yes! Just bring about 5 fifths of good Irish whiskey and you'll have good mentoring!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

I have not ever met but just a few bpcr shooters that weren't receptive to new folks.
    I would bet that those guys running Byers are as good as they come.
    You can look up the Colorado Rifle Club's web site and get a full schedule and contact information.
    If you have a hankering to try the long range gong shooting, the Weekend of May 4th at Alliance Nebraska would be a very good place to find yourself with your rifle and a couple hundred rounds of ammo.
    There you go again saying bring a couple hundred rounds you know that aint enough when your having fun

Bring at least 400

well you know me, never one to be wastefull