MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 452-200 Cramer HP - great mold

New mold

Wow I think I have gone to mold haven, wow these are great bullets my new MP mold works wonderfully.

Bullet in the middle is not MP mold.
    Last edited by trixter; 03-04-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Boolit Master

Man I love that boolit. I need to cast some soon.

I need to get some lead too! I'm all out and down to only about 1800 cast of those beautiful boolits!

Great pic man!

Shot about 20 rounds in my brother-in-laws house. I like 5 grains of greendot. They punched holes through the lathe and plaster then out the other wall lathe plaster and 1/2 sheetrock, across the living room (scattered all over the place) through the other wall of sheet rock and were recovered in the wall space. Shots through the ceiling passed through the lathe and plaster, through the subfloor and lifted the oak flooring but did no pass through. No rounds mushroomed after hitting the walls, they were packed solid with wall material.

I am very confident that this round will make excellent home defense round with the understanding that anything on the other side of the wall or door stands an excellent chance of being severely injured or killed. This means you must know where loved ones and other innocents are at all times and adjust field of fire accordingly.

Oh yeah, they were tearing the house down anyhow so I got to play tactical.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	73645

Shot 400 bullets trough my G21 factory barrel today. No leading! Just some fine powder left overs. Im very happy with this mold. Bullets lubed with selfmade bullet lube.

More molds to come from miha

Boolit Grand Master

What OAL has everyone been loading to? I'm having issues w/ it in a Remington R1. They are seated to 1.180 and pass the plunk test. And some of them shoot just fine. But the slide won't close fully on some of the rounds when feeding from the magazine. I'm loading w/ W231 and don't know how deep I can seat them. They're already a lot deeper then when I load jacketed.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

This is a nice boolit. All of my 45's love them. I have an earlier 2-cavity and a newer 4-cavity. I like the round HP pins. All three of my 45's eat them like candy.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

dragon, I did my 1st test loads with an oal of 1.20 & had feeding issues in a friends xds & my range officer. Dropped the oal down to 1.190 & had 1 round that still didn't go into battery out of 50 in the tight ro.

I did another test run of 50 with the oal @ 1.18 and crimped these a little tighter .468/.469. I crimped the other ones @ .469/.470. I'll be going to the range today to see what happens.

Boolit Grand Master

I have to check my crimps. And I'm pretty sure I have to drop my OAL a little more. I think they're just barely hitting the rifling. Once I get this one figured out I can start playing with the new RCBS mold I just got from Miha.

Ran another test run of 50 rounds today.

I have a tight nm bbl & a 1.180"oal & a .468/.469 crimp ran flawlessly.

!st tried 1.20"oal & .469/.470 crimp & had feeding problems (had to push the slide home on several rounds).
    2nd 50 round test I loaded 1.190"oal .469/.470 crimp 7 had 1 failure to go into battery (had to push the slide home).

Hope this helps anyone trying/testing these bullets.

The powder was herco, 7.5gr.

Boolit Master
    Forest R, thank you for the specific information. This should help me and lots of other owners of this mould.

No problem, I'm going to do another test run of 50 rounds.

This time I'm going to bring the oal back out to 1.190" & use the tighter .468/.469 crimp & use the same 7.5gr herco load. If that runs flawlessly I'll start trying/testing other powders.

On a side note:
    I'm using a wolff variable power 16 1/2# recoil spring.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

If it were me, I would only use just enough crimp to take the bell back out of the case. You don't need much crimp on these boolits. Case tension should be more than good to hold the boolit in place.
    If you do decide to use a heavier crimp, I would suggest making a couple dummy rounds,pulling the boolits and micking them to make sure the crimp is not sizing the boolits.
    Just a suggestion, Sam
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post

This time I'm going to bring the oal back out to 1.190" & use the tighter .468/.469 crimp & use the same 7.5gr herco load. If that runs flawlessly I'll start trying/testing other powders.
    I am no expert by any means, but when shooting both the hex, and the round h/p's, My XDM really loves 1.185 to 1190 at .468, with 4.6gr Bullseye. It works the mechanism every time. I love making holes in paper.

Too much crimp resizes boolits also. When you pull the boolit from the dummy round it should still measure the proper diameter.

Just received this mold in from Miha today--my third one from him this year. Excited to start casting with it.

Hello novalty, you're going to luv this mold!!! Bought 1 for plinking/hd so I really wanted to dial the bullets oal/crimp in.

Shot the 1.190"oal with the .468/.469 crimp & the 50 rounds ran flawlessly.

Trixter nailed it, loaded a couple different powders/loads/light/heavy & put them in a bag & took them to the range.
    Set the oal to 1.187 & the crimp to .468/.469.
    All 200 rounds fed flawlessly!!! It was a little odd shooting shooting a light load of 5.0gr of hp-38 the the next round having 6.3gr og universal clays, etc. But After this final test run I can clearly see this is going to be a great boolit that can be driven from mild to wild.

On a side note:
    I'm not getting any leading with the .468/.469 crimp. After 200 rounds down the tube today, the bbl looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Hello novalty, you're going to luv this mold!!! Bought 1 for plinking/hd so I really wanted to dial the bullets oal/crimp in.
    Forrest r, I cleaned the mold the other night, and ran it through toaster oven to heat it up to 400 degrees for a little while. After it cooled down, I put the pins in, and they work so much smoother than my 359-125 mold, pins move in out out with ease--no binding. Can't wait to try it out.

Boolit Grand Master

I finally found the time to make adjustments to my rounds. My crimps were just slightly to loose. They ranged from .474 to .476. It was the looser ones that were giving me the problems. So I adjusted the die and made sure all of them crimped at .474. I'm still running an OAL of 1.180. With how well they shot and fed I don't think I will be changing it unless I find the time to experiment.

Finally got a chance to try out my 452-200 mold yesterday. The pins in this mold move so much better than my 359-125 mold, and the mold works amazing, while casting at 760 degree melt tems and the mold sitting on a hot plate on medium setting. Had very little reject rate on the mold, and water dropped the boolits, which didn't seem to frost like the few that I air cooled. They dropped right off the large HP pins with a simple push. Will try out the penta pins, and reverse some pins for solid boolits in my next session.

Both the 452-200 and 359-125 batches I cast yesterday.

Boolit Master
    Group
    I went through my cleaning routine: Hot Water/Soap/ Tooth brush. Rinse with acetone, wipe out grooves with a cotton swab.
    I put the mold together, put it on the hot plate x3 to get it to about 300 degrees, air cooled. Put some old liquid graphit on the pins.

I set my RCBS to 750 and a thermometer read 740. After about twenty casts and adjusting the fill rate, everything started to come together and I got 9+lbs of boolits in about two hrs. All I could rememember is HEAT HEAT HEAT. ended up finishing casing at about 720.
    Great boolits
    Leadmelter
    MI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast