Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 452-200 Cramer HP - great mold

Boolit Grand Master

Yes.
    Unscrew the pins about a quarter turn. That'll allow just a bit of play and allow them to line up perfectly.

I rate my Mihec (MP Molds) the highest of any moulds EVER made. You will LOVE them once you get up to speed. Further, I lube my pins where they go through the blocks with Bullshop Sprueplate Lube.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

They'll wear in. Best thing to do is to heat the mold up on a hot plate to ~ 300 deg F and lube the sprue plate pin and alignment pins, open and close the mold a few times and then put it back on the hotplate, turn it off and let it cool down. Do that about three times and everything kinda "works in" to place. Also, on the Penta pins use the supplied tool to loosen the pins 1/4 turn or so, should let the mold close OK then.

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys, just loosening one of the guides on each pin seemed to do the trick, and a little of the supplied grease on each one should help keep it that way.

I've heated other molds by resting them atop the pot and dipping a corner in the melt, then getting them fully up to temp with a few castings of bullets that I figure are heading straight back into the pot. Sounds like these take a few extra steps, but that should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post

I've heated other molds by resting them atop the pot and dipping a corner in the melt, then getting them fully up to temp with a few castings of bullets that I figure are heading straight back into the pot. Sounds like these take a few extra steps, but that should be no problem.

Please do your self a favor and go get a hotplate and use it to heat your mold, trust me you will really like it, no more casting wrinkled boolits.

Boolit Man
    Is there a reason I must buy a hotplate and cannot use the "burner" on an electric stove?

Boolit Grand Master

Mihec 452-200 Cramer HP - great mold

You can use the burner. But if its a coil type you want to put a solid metal piece, such as a saw blade, on top to distribute the heat evenly. Brass has the potential to warp from overheating as well.

I just received one of these molds in solid form. Heat treated it over the weekend so I can't wait to start casting with it. I might go do it now

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Master

Is there a reason I must buy a hotplate and cannot use the "burner" on an electric stove?
    You can get a single "hot plate" like mine on-line for about $20. Sure makes casting a lot easier. If you're gonna use your electric coil stove get a piece of 1/4" aluminum for heat distribution, it works almost as well as a hotplate and won't warp your new mold.

Boolit Man
    Sounds like good advice, I saw the video on the MP-Molds website showing how to cast hollowpoints and the individual there uses a single-"burner" device that looks a lot like an electric stovetop coil.

http://mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=R_and_D

Boolit Grand Master

Man is the country music annoying in that video. And I wish my four cavity crammer molds dropped bullets like that. Maybe every tenth cast they will. He's using a coil hot plate and as others have mentioned it's best to put a piece of metal on top. You run the chance of overheating spots on the mold and warping it if you don't.

More controllable temperature.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Man is the country music annoying in that video.
    My thought as well......not that it's country, just annoying is all!

A plate on the stove burner sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    MiHec:

Always seem to be a day late and a dollar short. If you ever make more of this mold, a 452-200 Cramer 4 cavity with all the pins, I'll take one.

Paborn

Boolit Grand Master

Check out this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=170935

I don't know if any are left but this mold was available. I picked it up in a solid version.

Boolit Master

I think it's time for a re-run of this mold.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

i wonder which group buy is the most rerun of all time? this must be a pretty hot one?

i would love one in sold too. the HP cast just as fast a a 4 cavity solid mold, i would imagine a solid would cast like lightning

Vendor Sponsor

See here for available molds

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Februar-2013

I still have some 452-200 HP's and some HG#68 molds
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Bub
    I just bought a 4 cavity 452-200 with all the goodies from MiHec's e-store does this come with a choice of hollowpoint size?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    I just bought a 4 cavity 452-200 with all the goodies from MiHec's e-store does this come with a choice of hollowpoint size?
    Round and penta pins are included. With pins reversed you can cast solids (210 grains)
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Bub

Received Mold

Mihec 452-200 HP Mold showed up USPS today. Nine days from order date....not bad.

Very nice mold. Will start casting some round pin hollow points tomorrow.

Paborn

Boolit Master
    I have several hundred of these cast, and loaded ready to shoot at all times. It took a couple hundred to get the formula down for good expansion but I found what worked. For my alloy these like to be pushed a little over 900fps to get full expansion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast