Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Top Punch for 358009?

Boolit Buddy

Top Punch for 358009?

I have been searching and reading old archives this morning until my eye balls are sore, and I still don't don't have a good answer

My question is; what is the correct top punch for the 358009?

Not the sizer, not something modified, not depending on alloy, but the original TP that was recommended by Lyman when the mold was originally being made by them and using #2 alloy....also, was there ever more than one recommended Top Punch?

I have always "thought" the #430 was the right TP, but reading and talking to others has convinced me over the past year or so that may not be true...plus I am starting to get a slight ring on the top of the bullet that I had never noticed before.

That "slight ring" / mark could have been goin on for some time now, maybe, I say that because I didn't used to have wear my prescription glasses under my eye protection when casting or loading...now I do, so the arguments that #430 is not necessarily the correct TP just may be starting to make some sense

Where is Bassackwards, Felix, Bruce, MC, and a dozen others when ya really need 'em??

Thanks, Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Master
    Everything I have seen has always said the 430.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Master
    That ring is there because the punch may not have been properly cut or finished. Use an abrasive paper/cloth over the boolit and 'grind' off the extra material on the punch while rotating in forward and back against the boolit and abrassive paper/cloth. It make the punch fit much better. I've done this to a bunch of mine and they work 'mo betta' after the honing treatment. Or, take any larger size punch and make it custom with bedding compound or epoxy. Put some release agent of the boolit, a gob of goop on the punch and let it sit over night with the punch installed in the ram and sitting on the boolit - all lined up nicely.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

If you want to have one that fits your bullets from your mold perfectly send me an email. See my sig line below.

Boolit Master

I use a flat top punch when I make up a batch and it works just fine. The #430 does leave a small ring with my TP./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy

Thanks fellas!

Perfesser, I just sent you an email, at least I thought I did...the computer did a hiccup or three when I clicked on your address, but she did finally settle down and the rest of the ride went fairly smooth.

If you got it, you know what I said, if not lets try a simple little PM next time...Okay?

Sundog, I remember both you and Beagle helping me out on something with my old Whelen years and years ago....seems like another lifetime, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was right now.

Beagle, Thanks for the tip....you made it sound almost too simple.

Over the years I've had a few projects come out picture perfect after following 'youse guys' advise / instructions, and then I have had some, better make that several, go south on me.

On the first forum, back about 1999, Felix was sharper than a tack on a lot of "good stuff to know when you shoot a .35 Whelen"...I'm willing to bet he still is., if he hasn't totally gone back to benchrest stuff again.
    I'd still like to hear his take on this, if he should stumble across it.

Thanks again folks! We'll getrdone.
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.