Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Question For Those Of You Who Have .357 Lever Guns:

Question For Those Of You Who Have .357 Lever Guns:

What is your favorite roll your own load - powder - grains & bullet?

What is the effective range of your load on pigs & small/medium deer from a 18"/20" barrel?
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Boolit Buddy
    I use the SAECO #354, a 180gr FPGC, cast in linotype with a Hornady gas check. I size to .360 and use Blue Angle lube. I also use a CCI 450 primer with a stout charge of surplus WCC820. The charge is specifically worked up in my Marlin 1894C with it's 18.5" microgroove barrel. I would have no problem using it on less than 200lb hogs out to 100yds, deer out about 25 to 50 yards more. I only use iron sights. If I didn't have a good shot I wouldn't push it.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I load 11.5 grs H110 and RanchDOG 359190 for my 3 Marlin 357s. I have taken 1 deer with this load.

Papalote

Boolit Master

Probably not what you are after - but my favorite load is 25gr Swiss 3f black powder under a 158gr BigLube Greasewagon boolit. Great accuracy and punch out to 100 yards, and in my Rossi 92 is an awesome combo.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    My fav load is the just about half way between the recommended minimum and maximum of Trailboss behind a 158Gn RNFP and the first packet of primers that come out of the drawer.

Not the most powerful load, but it rings the steel everytime I do my part and you can give the carbeen to anyone to shoot it is so pleasant out of my Rossi 92 (the one in my avitar).

I have never hunted with it, but have used it a bunch.

That is my favourite and thats what you asked for.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite load for the 1894C is 14.5 2400 behind a 358156 with Felix or BAC lube. Works on everything I put the front bead on.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Have the Marlin 94C. I prefer the 180 grainers as I never have to think about will this leave an exit hole. If I did not already have a heavy boolit mold I would get the RD. 190 grains would be as good and his designs already have the fat wide nose you want for good thump on target. Plus the RD casts fat enough. Too many 357 molds are undersized for Marlin throats and the Micro rifling needs a tight fitting fat boolit.
    I am rather fond of 296 (or 110) in the 357 with a 180 grainer. 1600+ fps is easy to get to. When you figure the old 38-40 was chugging along at 1500 fps with a 180 grainer the 357 with a 180 is a bit better. And most old timer hunters I knew (Michigan) thought the 38-40 was near the best deer round they knew about.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I have been playing for a good while trying to find the ideal load that shoots good enough to wack deer and 'yotes out to 100 yards or a bit further. I can't get 158 SWC boolits to shoot well out of my 94c marlin except with 5 grains of Unique with is a bit light for shooting past 50 to 75 yards. I have had a bit of success with the 158 gr RNFP sized to .358 with a .015 thick homemade gas check and 13.5 grains of AA #9. The reason for the gas check is the Lee RNFP boolit has a bevel base, and bevel bases will not shoot at all out of my Marlin. The homemade gas check squares up the base nicely and makes the difference between a 1 inch group at 75 yards or a 6 inch group with out it. I am waiting for the chance to try it out at 100 yards to see what I get. If I can keep it around 2 inches at 100 yards I figure I will be good to hunt out to 150 yards, and that is about the limit of the 357mag.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Grand Master
    My best luck has been with the 359640 HP as made by Mihec. Loading it over 13 to 14 gr of WC 820 has given me over 1600 fps and very good accuracy.
    I have not yet found an other bullet that shot very well for me. I have learned tha my rifle shoots better the faster the velocity is.

Boolit Master

I have had excellent results with the Lyman "Keith" 358429 173 gr SWC in two Rossi 92's and 1 Winchester 94. I load either 15 grs of 820 (slow lot) or 15 grs of 296 and get 1600 fps + out of all the guns. Accuracy at 100 yds is 3-4 MOA and while I've never shot any game with it it has a 70+ year record on game animals.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    My favorite load for the 1894C is 14.5 2400 behind a 358156 with Felix or BAC lube. Works on everything I put the front bead on.
    Ditto!
    But I use the Balisti-Cast #651.

I also like 12 grains of Accurate no. 9

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

A lot of good info so far. Thanks for your input guys!
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Boolit Grand Master
    RCBS 38-162 SWC GC over 15.7 grains of H 110 is the most accurate load I have found for use in my Rossi. The 358-429 was a total flop, unless I crimped over the shoulder and reduced the powder charge, then it still didn't shoot as well as the RCBS boolit. Light boolits didn't work out for me either, I tried some 115 grainers along with some 358-242 122 grainers, but nether grouped well.