RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Mounting scope on Romanian Trainer M69

Boolit Master

Mounting scope on Romanian Trainer M69

My best friend just gave me a great gift, a BSA Sweet 22 scope. I would like to mount it on my Romanian Trainer. Upon measuring the groove on top of the receiver, it looks like a normal 3/8" rimfire base is going to be a little too wide. I could drill and tap for a weaver mount, but I'm a little hesitant to go modifying any military firearm, even though this one only cost me about $45. I've also thought about modifying a set of standard 3/8" rings to fit on the groove of this rifle. Just thought I would ask here in case anyone else has done this.

Boolit Master

With a little file work, the clamp-on .22 rings will fit the groove on the rifle.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know anything about Romanian trainers but your concern is correct about modifying a military firearm.

Many collectible firearms that were cheap at the time have been drilled for scopes or otherwise sporterized and the collector value was ruined.

I have seen rifles that would have been worth many hundreds of dollars now worth less than $100 because of modifications. When purchased they were probably so cheap than there was no consideration that modifying would affect future value.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I would lean to the idea of modification of the rings instead of the firearm . The rings don't seem to appreciate in value near as much as firearms do so if you want to reverse the process later just take the rings off the rifle . It is indeed difficult to put metal back into a hole that's been drilled and tapped .

Jack

Boolit Master

I used a set of Burris 22 clamp ons, adjusted the ring to fit the rib. It is not grooved.

Didn't have any problem once tightened up.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Kwik-site used to have some specifically for the Romanian; I have a set on one of my Romanians. The other one I filed down one side of some Chinese rings I had lying around and they work also. I also found that some red dot sights could be tightened enough to work.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the advice guys. I decided not to drill and tap. I went to the local sporting goods store yesterday afternoon and found a set of Millett rings that worked on the rib. I sighted in the scope and was shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards within 20 minutes of going to the range. To say the least, I am so pleased with this little rifle.