Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New" Boolit release spray

"New" Boolit release spray

After several attempts I gave up on purchasing the ready to go Bullet Release spray made by Frankford. The shipping to Hawaii is the problem because the can is preasurized. I tried powdered graphite mixed with alcohol and that seems to work fine except a trigger spray bottle would clog after a while. I then came across this liquid wrench dry lubricant and with NO oily residue--tried it and it sure beats the Kroil brand. No wrinkles and no stinky smoke after the solvent evaporates.

Coments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00183-20120309-1403.jpg  
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Boolit Master
    I had mixed feelings about the frankford graphite, though it kills static dead on sticky plastic funnels, etc., in winter.

Can you share any pictures of your bullets?

Boolit Master

Need to know how it holds up against heat,we know it's made for friction,but how well will it hold up to heat,that's the 50,000 dollar question,IMHO!Oops a boolit release for molds,sorry I now see! I would like to know how it works as a boolit lube,compared to alox,not as messy and a faster drying time???
    Last edited by GT27; 03-09-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrB View Post
    I had mixed feelings about the frankford graphite, though it kills static dead on sticky plastic funnels, etc., in winter.

Thanks, Doc

I wondered if it had any useful purpose.

It sure will mess up a bullet mold.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    If you need a mould release agent you are doing something wrong.

Boolit Master
    A properly prepared mould, and operating at its optimum casting temperature, needs neither smoking nor the application of any type of release agent for its boolits to drop due to the force of gravity, or no more than a gentle love tap on the handle hinge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    If you need a mould release agent you are doing something wrong.
    I second that. None needed. If your having difficulty despite proper techniques, look at the kroil thread at the top. Works like a champ.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

If you think you need a release agent, you need to study the mold for burrs most likely,
    or possibly some other issue with your process. Almost certainy a burred mold.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Super Moderator

I found out early on that the Frankford Arsenal mold release is only good for ingot molds at best. Their flux is not so good either (putting it lightly), it started to rust my melt pot right away. My best advise is if you don't have one...get a hot plate. Preheat your molds, clean the heck out of them first. A very small dab of comet and a toothbrush, preheat, and your boolits should fall right out.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Need to know how it holds up against heat
    <100 degrees Fahrenheit

http://urbanelevator.com/msds/radiat...uid-wrench.pdf

The lube contains Cerflon, a ceramic reinforced fluoropolymer (plastic)
    http://www.cerflon.com/
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    If you need a release agent, turn the heat up on that mold. Fill it with hot lead and then give it 30 seconds to 60 seconds to soak up heat after the sprue glazes over in that dull silvery texture. Hesitate and let the mold soak up the heat.

I've been in that little row boat.

Quote Originally Posted by DrB View Post

On killing plastic parts static cling. Wash your funnel in warm soapy water, rinse the crud away with clear water, swish them in warm, slightly soapy water, and let them dry UNRINSED. The slight soapy film will kill static electricity, is harmless to powder and lasts a long time.

Mold release agents are designed to solve the problem of money not falling easily out of your pocket and into the release agent manufacture's.
    Last edited by ku4hx; 03-10-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

To kill static cling I use a used softener sheet from the dryer. A quick swipe and the static cling is gone.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    The only time I have ever used a release agent is when I purchased used molds over the internet which were abused.

I will NEVER purchase used molds again unless I can see them first hand up front.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    A properly prepared mould, and operating at its optimum casting temperature, needs neither smoking nor the application of any type of release agent for its boolits to drop due to the force of gravity, or no more than a gentle love tap on the handle hinge.
    I concur...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by largecaliberman View Post
    After several attempts I gave up on purchasing the ready to go Bullet Release spray made by Frankford. The shipping to Hawaii is the problem because the can is preasurized. I tried powdered graphite mixed with alcohol and that seems to work fine except a trigger spray bottle would clog after a while. I then came across this liquid wrench dry lubricant and with NO oily residue--tried it and it sure beats the Kroil brand. No wrinkles and no stinky smoke after the solvent evaporates.

Coments?
    You will find the best use for mold releases is to reduce the as cast diameter of your bullets. This may actually be useful if you wanted to cast smaller, nose, body or both.
    Charter Member #148

In Remembrance

The mould release will fill in dings in a cavity. Apply a heavy coat and spin a boolit with mild abrasive to remove most of the release. Any depressions will retain the coating.

Boolit Master

You gentlemen are a wealth of information. Being a newbie to casting I learn something new every time I read the posts. I have been using Frankford mold release and flux. I am looking forward to my next casting season. I have several molds to clean. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Thanks, Doc

I wondered if it had any useful purpose.

It sure will mess up a bullet mold.

Now, I didn't think it was that bad, I just didn't find it particularly useful as mold release.

I didnt find any damage or other issues after cleaning it off, but I didn't find it to be particularly helpful.

Graphite is electrically conductive though, and harmless to powder (commonly used as a grain opacifier and to improve flow of solid propellants)... works like a champ as a semi-permanent anti static conductive coating since its basically a graphite paint.

Boolit Master
    I have only limited experence casting; however, I smoked molds and about wore out my little club beating on molds to get the boolits out. Then one day I picked up my can of Gunk spray silicone, sprayed a mold and immediately began casting perfect boolits that fell out of the mold. I guess if you don't need release you are better than me and your pecker is longer.