Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: How does the alloy composition affect its melting point?

Boolit Bub

How does the alloy composition affect its melting point?

I've been experimenting with different alloys lately and I've noticed how differently they behave based on the composition. Can anyone enlighten me how Tin and Antimony affect the alloy melting point and cast temperature?

Boolit Master
    I can't, but the 3rd and 4th editions of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook have extremely informative metallurgy chapters, written by metallurgists, that include temperature/alloy compostition charts.

Oh, the handbooks are the best source for published cast load information, as well.

If only more casters would buy one or more, and read them at least twice . . .

Boolit Grand Master

Tin makes the melt liquid at a lower temperature.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    This info is from a sticky in the alloy forum:

621° = lead
    563° = solder (10% tin & 90% lead)
    529° = solder (20% tin & 80% lead)
    504° = solder (30% tin & 70% lead)
    464° = solder (40% tin & 60% lead)
    428° = solder (50% tin & 50% lead)
    374° = solder (60% tin & 40% lead)
    362° = solder (63% tin & 37% lead) (eutectic)
    365° = solder (70% tin & 30% lead)
    392° = solder (80% tin & 20% lead)
    421° = solder (90% tin & 10% lead)
    450° = tin
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    If you cannot afford the Lyman Cast Bullet book (I don't know how much they are in the US, but mine cost me $65.00 here in Oz), then look throught the stickies in the Lead and Lead Alloys forum. The effects of Tin and Antimony are not only being felt at the melting stage.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master

Look up a "tin-lead phase diagram" on the web, or in the Lyman manual.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by old_haidouk View Post
    I've been experimenting with different alloys lately and I've noticed how differently they behave based on the composition. Can anyone enlighten me how Tin and Antimony affect the alloy melting point and cast temperature?
    +1 on 462's advice; no better "layman's" source for your question. And the rest of the data in the manual is excellent too. Every boolit caster should have this book in their library.

Have a look at this link;

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    The melting point of Antimony (Sb) is 1167 f. However, when combined with other elements such as lead and tin; and depending upon the quantity of each, that melting point can vary considerably.
    Why? I am not a big enough of a science guy to explain it at a molecular level, maybe someone else can.

I can tell you that in my 40 lb pot a 92 lead/6 Sb/2 Sn mix will start melting around 600 and will melt all the way through at around 630 give or take a few.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tin lowers the melting point. It is also the priciest part of your alloy, and aids boolit fillout.. When first starting out, I would add tin instead of cranking the heat some. With tweaking the temp, I can get range scrap to fillout good and add a LOT LESS tin.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    The melting point of Antimony (Sb) is 1167 f. However, when combined with other elements such as lead and tin; and depending upon the quantity of each, that melting point can vary considerably.
    Why? I am not a big enough of a science guy to explain it at a molecular level, maybe someone else can.

I can tell you that in my 40 lb pot a 92 lead/6 Sb/2 Sn mix will start melting around 600 and will melt all the way through at around 630 give or take a few.
    Hey, we don't need to understand the magic to appreciate it.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    If you cannot afford the Lyman Cast Bullet book (I don't know how much they are in the US, but mine cost me $65.00 here in Oz), then look throught the stickies in the Lead and Lead Alloys forum. The effects of Tin and Antimony are not only being felt at the melting stage.
    Should have asked someone here to purchase one and ship it to you.