RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: "The Load" in my Mosin

Boolit Bub

"The Load" in my Mosin

I'll admit to being a lousy marksman. This is 13 grains of Red Dot pushing Lee's TLC312-160-2R. the bullets were .313, and dropped out of the mold at 165 gr. With a gas check it was a 170 gr boolit. Shot prone unsupported at a "paced off" 50 meters. Alloy is range scrap and ww. The boolits were water dropped. Brass was PPU.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0308121447.jpg  
    My alloy is so proprietary even I don't know what's in it...

Boolit Master
    It looks like the load has potential, given the crude sights on a Mosin. Keep at it!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Looks like to me that would murder a lot of tin cans.

Richard

Boolit Master

I call that kind of shootin "minute of deer". It may not be good enough to win some shoot offs, but it will bring home the bacon.

Boolit Master
    Nice --- well done --- try 18grs. of 2400 --- Have 3rd. group's with M-91 three rounds touching and with M-91-30 and M39 about 3/4 inch. groups. --- Mag

Boolit Master
    Boolit used was Lee 185gr. .312 sized .311

Boolit Bub
    I forgot to mention that I was shooting with iron sights, as well. TY nicholst55, for the reminder. And to smoked turkey, I thought bacon comes from hogs, not deer.

TCA
    My alloy is so proprietary even I don't know what's in it...

Boolit Master
    That's pretty good shooting! Nice demonstration of Mr. Harris' 'the load'.

dont be afraid to drop that down to say 11.0 or so and work it back up to 13 again. I never found my best accuracy to be right at 13.0
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

Good start. The other two to try are 10.0 gr of Unique and 16.0 gr of 2400. These three
    loads are VERY often accurate under any cast boolit in any of the full sized 20th century
    (and late 19th century) bottle necked military rifle rounds.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    I call that kind of shootin "minute of deer". It may not be good enough to win some shoot offs, but it will bring home the bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCan Assassin View Post
    I forgot to mention that I was shooting with iron sights, as well. TY nicholst55, for the reminder. And to smoked turkey, I thought bacon comes from hogs, not deer.

TCA

Where I come from, Bacon has ALWAYS meant cured/smoked pork.

but I remember reading a book on Meat, and the term "Bacon" can refer to any "Smoked" meat. not necessarily cured.

I read a book about Longstreet (?) in the US civil war, and a comment about the soldiers "Appropriating" the "Bacon" from the folk that lived down there as the troops were moving through. In that case the term appeard to be refering to pretty much any variety of smoked meat.
    (wasn't the line from The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down, "They should have never taken the very best" refering to the troops stealing the best "Bacon" and "Preserves" from the local folk?)

I'm never lucky enough to have my Lee molds drop larger than advertised. I tried The Load in my 42 Izzy last week with the 185 gr lee which drops right at 312. Shot about 5" at 80 yards. Tried some IMR 4895 today and got about a 3" group at 80 yards with 31 grains. Getting there. Probably need to reem the mold out a couple thousands. My bore slugs at exactly the same size as my boolits. I guess the gas check is the seal.