MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about gunsmith delay

Boolit Buddy

Questions about gunsmith delay

Not sure where else to post this, but I'm hoping to get some advice from the members here.

I sent off a rifle of mine to get some work done by a reputable gunsmith. He originally quoted me a turn around time of 2 weeks. He received my rifle on September 12th and I still have not received the finished product.

He has been very responsive to emails, usually getting back to me within a day (once even on a weekend), which is why I've given him so much leeway. Each time he responds it's usually with, "It'll be in the mail this week" or "Ran into an issue with [something] but it's all sorted out and you should get it soon", but it's been dragging on and on.

I'm not sure what my next step should be here. Should I wait longer, or tell him I want the rifle back even if the works not finished? I haven't paid anything yet, and he never asked for money up front, so I do have a little leverage in the situation.

Thanks for replies in advance

What specifically supports the declaration that he is "reputable?" If you have access to people who gave references or referrals you might want to ask them this question. If the fellow has dealt honestly with them, then you probably should give him some more time. He may have a family emergency that he doesn't want to talk about.

If you can't talk to people for whom he has done work in the past, then maybe you should call him and tell him you are concerned. See what he has to say.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I had work done before right at hunting season. It too took patience. This is his season to rake in cash, and it being an election year may have caused him to miss his estimate.

Bail now you may have to pay his minimum fee for nothing plus shipping x2.

Id hold on and keep being squeeky, but not pushy.

I think a phone call where you could converse and ask what really is going on would be better at this point. Without knowing the details, 2 months is not a long wait with a reputable and busy gunsmith these days although he shouldn’t be promising and not delivering. Unfortunately good gunsmiths are far and few between these days and long wait times are common. Would like to hear a little more about the work you are having done and how you determined that he was a “reputable” gunsmith.

Call him - get your answer direct and not through email.
    Personally, if a person quotes me a time frame and they exceed it, they better be up front with me on why it isn't done and when I can expect to have it. That means they contact me, not me calling them after I've gotten a couple weeks of silence. I hate the idea that when someone who is doing work for you misses a deadline that you have to chase them down and hound them for an answer. A reputable person will call you and tell you that they are going to be late or that there is a delay. If it's a "family emergency", then say so. I don't need details, just need to know that you are going to be late and there is a reason. Should a boss be calling his employee asking "where are you"? Nope, the employee should be the one calling saying they are running late. That kind of stuff is just common courtesy.

Getting gunsmithing work this time of the year is like calling the air conditioner guy Saturday night when it's 110 degrees outside.

It can be beyond frustrating.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If he is using his time to reply to email he isn't getting gun work done.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    May as well relax. If he had to order parts, he is at the mercy of the supplier, who is at the mercy of their manufacturer.

When I was still building guns, I refused to give delivery times because of this. If I did, I was the one who looked like an *** when I didn't have it by delivery stated. I've had suppliers run as much as nine months slow after they guaranteed a delivery date.

When I worked for Serengeti Rifles, I did the scheduling of upcoming projects to the shop. I was looking at dates the salespeople were giving, and they were anything but realistic.

Myself and the other gun builders went to the company owner and the president, and put our foot down. The expectations given to the customers was unrealistic, making us all look like idiots.

The sales people said they were afraid to tell prospective customers their rifle may be as much as two+ years out, as they may not order.

I went through the outstanding orders, made realistic time projections on how long it actually took us to put out a rifle. Then with backing from the owner and president, we had the salespeople call all of the customers, and tell them when they could actually expect delivery.

We had no cancellations, people still placed orders, and we got all delivered.

So, patience.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for everybody advising patience. Just got a call today that the rifle was ready so I paid and will probably get it in my hands before the week is out.

Boolit Master

Great news for you asmith80. It is sometimes a little hard to be patient when we want something real bad.

Hate to say it, but it sounds perfectly normal.

I've dealt with many gunsmiths on many level for work (very) large and small. Twice I've got them back sooner than expected. Twice they came back on schedule. The other 80% of the time was longer than quoted. lol
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master

Can't say about other smiths but I moved back to Idaho and it will be several months before I have a shop up and running. I have about a dozen jobs that I didn't get to and they are in storage till I get back to work. Sorry for any problems this may have caused.

Boolit Master

Gunsmith speak 2 weeks = 2 months, 2 months may mean 2 years. Way it is.

Boolit Master

Local smith that was in the club passed from “ the virus”, heard many guys had guns at his shop to be repaired. Talk about a major problem. Sad situation.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Got the rifle today and it was worth the wait. Smith did an excellent job, and I'm glad I didn't get too impatient and make a nuisance of myself

Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    I'm glad I didn't get too impatient and make a nuisance of myself
    That reminds me of our old gunsmith.

After somebody got on his bad side, and brought something else in, he'd say he was too back logged to take it in.
    Then suggest you take it to the other gunsmith in town who didn't do gunsmithing work any more.
    (but that was a well kept secret)

He'd take it in, then send it over to the first guy.
    That way the 2nd guy would have to deal with the customer.

EVERYONE!

Glad to hear it worked out. Quality beats speed all the time.

Boolit Bub
    I once knew a gunsmith with excellent reputation and a long work list. When a job came in (gun) it went on "the" rack, first in - first out. Rules were: time frame given, don't call. If you called, he took your gun directly to the back of "the" rack. two calls and it went back to you. Harsh? Probably. Most gunsmiths are small 1 or 2 guy shops, not getting rich, loving the work. Interruptions cost $, a lot of $ - especially phone calls. Clients are your best friend when they need something and want to call everyday. After 30 years in shooting sports, I have 1st hand knowledge. After you choose someone, usually from reputation, have understanding, respect of the work, patience and always another gun to use. Especially right now when parts are hard to come buy, believe me no one is sitting on their ***.

Quote Originally Posted by RC46 View Post
    . two calls and it went back to you. Harsh? Probably..
    I did that when I worked in the auto paint & body shop supply industry.
    I'd do custom matches and re-tints for regular customers, and didn't charge extra,
    I just did it along with the other things I had going for the day.

I'd take one in, and tell 'em I'd call when it was done.
    After the second interruption to answer the phone when they called and asked if it was ready, I'd tell 'em it was.

They'd get back to the shop and call to say it didn't match.
    I'd tell them I couldn't work on it, or anything else, between their phone calls.

Some got the message, and the problem children went on down the road to bother some body else--
    who also charged handsomely for the same re-tints,
    so they could pay a kid to just answer the phone and tell them it wasn't ready yet.

EVERYONE!

I stopped doing gunsmiths along time ago. If I can't fix it then I ask someone to tell me how to fix it. The I fix it myself. I do have some skills that most don't have.

When a guy quotes me a lead time of 2 weeks or 2 months to do a simple job like drilling and tapping two holes for a receiver sight which is a 20 minute job,,, I have to ask why?

I have ran a machine shop for nearly 30 years, and if a simple job comes in that means Cash Money in an hour or less, it gets done immediately. If it is a complicated job, then fine, it gets put in line with the rest of them. But putting "everything" in line in the order it comes in the shop is dumb. And saying there is other customers in line in front of you that have big jobs that you'll just have to wait for just pisses me off.

Next if you are going to a Custom Smith that is building a Custom Gun for you, then it takes as long as it takes, and you can't snivel about that. Building a Fine Best Quality Gun takes lots of time. Just ask the big English makers why that is.

But simple work shouldn't take very long at all, unless you are going at the wrong time of year and he's packed with work..

There is a scope repair shop we all know of that quotes 12-15 months turnaround for a simple 1 hour Weaver Scope Repair. Then I talk to the guy and find out he only wants to pay his people by "Piece Work" at below Minimum Wage and can't seem to keep employees, and that's why he has such long lead times!!! I told him he was an idiot and found another outfit that turned the scope around in less than a week. Poor business people generally don't do good work anyway. And Idiots shouldn't be dealt with under any circumstances!!!

You've kind of got to be able to judge a persons character by talking to them over the phone.

Example #1: Terry Tussy (built all of Steven Segal's guns) took my Ruger SBH and cut off the barrel installed a new front sight and rear sight and reblued the gun in 2 weeks. I thought it would take more time,, and he was in a wheel chair!

Example #2: Idiot from Scope Repair Shop. Might know scopes but has no idea how to run a business or how to get work out the door.

Some Gunsmiths are better than others. Long back log generally indicate one of two things. Either guy is really good and many people have come to him, or he is really slow and can't get stuff done . Caveat Emptor!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast