Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 700 problem in search of an answer

I was very disappointed in my Rem. 700 SPS-V because the brass would have huge gouges in them.
    After studying this for a while, I stoned and polished the heck out of the feed lips(?) until the gouges became small scratches. Next, I polished the outer edges of the bolt face with 800 grit sand paper. Still needs work but much better then new. I only have about 40 rounds fired with this rifle. The stock also had to be modified. It flopped all over and made it shoot horrible but now sub-MOA.
    Last edited by The Amateur; 01-04-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Addition
    73, KC5CQW

Hard work usually pays off in the end but... Procrastination pays off right now!

Boolit Master
    Just make sure...your first rifle...that you were pull the bolt back all the way and the mag. was all the way in.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Back when I had mostly 700's I put a 280 Mt rifle in a sythetic stock, guns a one
    holer, balanced well and I used a Kwik Klip conversion and it worked and works
    very very nice, most trouble free and usable rifle we have.

Boolit Mold
    I have a .260 Remington M700 Mountain Rifle that also had clip feeding problems with Remington ammunition ONLY!
    When I switched to Federal, or used custom lead free loads (California condor area) it fed perfectly. Last Wednesday it instantly dropped a 265 pound wild boar. Low recoil, big impact.

The problem with 30-06 and DMs is that most model 700s are long throated and the mag limits the length of the round.
    FTF comes from the nose of the round hitting the end of the mag, and the bolt just rides atop the case.
    I short cambered my odd six to 3.270 and the cheap Kwik Klip DM set I bought works great.
    When my chamber wears to 3.330, I will have to go back to BDL or rechamber it
    If I wish to hold my 3/8 inch groups @ 200 yards
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Welcome to the forum, Ivar!
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

I have three 700's; all are BDL. 1) in 7mm Rem Mag, shoots inside a 25 cent coin... 2) This one
    in .243 standard barrel, Shoots great, Gave it to my son who shoots & reloads for it. After his first trip to the range he litterly fell in love with it. 30 years ago... 3) Another .243. This one has a bull barrel, shoots one hole at 100 yds. A few years ago I carried it deer hunting, Took 2 white-tails at 400 yds. Before that I took many ground hogs at over 300 yds. Still shoot them without ANY problems. I guess cause they came from the old school.
    bigmac
    Last edited by thebigmac; 06-28-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling BBBAAAAADDDD

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ