RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: "flash suppressed powder?"

"flash suppressed powder?"

Buffalo Bore touts a couple of their PD pistol loads as being rolled with "flash suppressed powder." The one I am interested in, for the moment, is the .380 offering. But they claim a "flash suppressed powder?" Okay, they lost me with that one. Anyone know of an over-the-counter "flash suppressed powder?"

I'm about to invest in one of Ranch Dog's TL358-100-RF 6 cavity molds that are supposed to be ready to ship in a couple of weeks. So I am trying to get all my ducks in a row now, in preparation for one last big weekend of casting before it turns wet and humid around here.

I mean it looks like BB may be using RD's design for the pill - but they are claiming 1200 fps, (yes, +P) with this magical "flash suppressed powder," and it is just baffling the heck out of me - digging through everything I can find for something that even comes close. I'm figuring I am going to be lucky if I load hot and get'er up to 900-1000 fps over a few grains of whatever, which is about all I am comfortable trying with either of my SIG P230/232 or the LCP.

But I'd like to know if anyone has any idea on the powder or if anyone has already tried this pill with any specific recipe and had any luck in the process?

Thanks in advance for the help and feedback men.
    What you think about you do ... what you do, you become.

Boolit Master

There are a few flash suppressed powders.

There are a lot of powders available to manufacturers that you can't get over the counter.

I read somewhere that a certain powder was flash suppressed by adding sodium bicarbonate. Is it true? Can you add it yourself? I don't know.

Do an internet search and you will find some powders that are flash suppressed.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    No, not bicarbonate, but either potassium or sodium sulphate. About two percent or so. Also, that slows the burning some, so compensation is made as well. ... felix
    felix

Seems like either of those "suppressor" additives might be corrosive? I dunno. I've never heard of adding any of those, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try working-up a recipe of some sort that puts it to use ... may have to do a little more research first though.

Here is the Buffalo Bore description:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=127

Boolit Master

You're probably going to spend a lot more money trying to duplicate this ammo than if you just bought what you need for SD purposes.

Also note that velocity is 1061 from a Ketec and 1150 from the 3.75" gun. Not 1200.

I you just have to duplicate it, start by buying a box as a baseline through your gun. Pull one apart and weigh the powder and boolit, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Brian Pearce reports that Ramshot Silhouette, Winchester AutoComp and AA#9 are
    all flash suppressed powders. Not any kind of an exhaustive list, just some that he
    mentioned in the answer to a question on flash suppressed powders. He recommended
    the Silhouette and AutoComp for 9mm and the AA#9 for .357 Mag.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

Only important if you are a sniper. Of what use would it be to the hunter or normal shooter?
    I find it hard to shoot at night myself.

Boolit Master

I think you might want to try 100 grs@ 1061 fps out of your LCP. I'm getting a little over 900 fps out of my Keltec with the RD bullet and 3.6 grs of Bullseye and it's not fun to shoot. I ran a hundred through for function to carry but I practice with 3.0/BE.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Years ago the original H4831 was mil. surplus with a flash suppressant in it. Had a distinct smell to it when burnt. I shot so much of it back then that if I was down wind I could always tell when someone was using it.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    Mike McNett of Double Tap Ammunition buys it by the railroad carload for his loads.

True story.

Scott

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    Mike McNett of Double Tap Ammunition buys it by the railroad carload for his loads.

True story.

Scott
    Which one? #9?
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Mold
    Whatever powder Winchester uses to load their 9x23mm Winchester Silvertips is the best example of a flash suppressed handgun powder I have ever seen.

I have been told that it is WAP, which doesn't help me since it is no longer sold. I have also been told that Silhouette is very similar. So I bought some, but alas, have not had a chance to load or shoot any,yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Only important if you are a sniper. Of what use would it be to the hunter or normal shooter?

I find it hard to shoot at night myself.
    We do a lot of pig hunting at night around here. Additionally, I simply like having the option at my disposal ... you never know when it might come in handy.

You probably find it hard to shoot at night because of the flash ruining your night vision.

Boolit Master

Well it sure isn't Power Pistol.

Boolit Master

Several handloader articles I've read also state the AA #9 has the lowest flash. For the .380 probably not the powder for that. I haven't seen anything on the AA # 5 or # 2 powders but they both work fine in my .38 specials but I've never shot them at night to compare.